It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis as a textbook example.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

There are THREE distinct places in the Critius dialogue where Plato emphasizes that this is a TRUE tale.

As I already stated he was a liar, he said many times "this is true" and it is proven that he lied. However I wonder what will future archeologists think when they find some excerpt of LOTR books. Will they think the earth was populated by Hobits, Dwarfs and Orc during 20th century?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Imagine what they said when they found Troy ....

library.thinkquest.org...

Look, check out this site and this man's research. If you still don't think it's Atlantis...well, your perogative....

www.geocities.com...

Will they think the earth was populated by Hobits, Dwarfs and Orc during 20th century?

Haven't you heard? We found Hobbits!
Also, I've got two cousins who are dwarves. No Orcs in the family though....
Thing is, Atlantis is so ancient, it's hard to find any other historical documentation on it. At least Troy was more recent, so had multiple sources to go on...

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I had neighbour, we called Ugluk, so you see we have some orcs too.

But back to topic, one of the main reson why I think that Plato has faked most aspect of his story are his tales about "Athenians fighing against Atlantis", while Athenians wereweak and (relatively) primitive people 1000BC who were barely able to sail to Troy.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
However I wonder what will future archeologists think when they find some excerpt of LOTR books. Will they think the earth was populated by Hobits, Dwarfs and Orc during 20th century?

No, they won't. Tolkien was a famous scholar and I don't think you can erase the billions of references to him or the fact that his world was fantasy and fiction.

And no, they wouldn't get confused by homo-whassisface.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

But back to topic, one of the main reson why I think that Plato has faked most aspect of his story are his tales about "Athenians fighing against Atlantis", while Athenians wereweak and (relatively) primitive people 1000BC who were barely able to sail to Troy.

Read again, he plainly states that he's taking some artistic liberty when describing Atlantean culture (such as replacing their gods with those of greek names, etc.) However, the wars were with ALL of those along the Med's coast. Check into Egypt's account of the "Sea People" for example...
(likely ancestors of former Atlantean trade stops)

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Atlantis might be based in fact, although I seriously doubt any civilization existed 10000+ years ago that had flying cars and stuff like that, else we would have evidence of such an advanced civilization somewhere.

For example, if our civilization was wiped out, we would still have buildings, cars, planes, roads, and all the rest. A lot of it might be damaged or destroyed (suppose we had a nuclear war or something) but even ruins would be evidence that someone had been there. We have none of that for Atlantis. A person could argue that it's all underwater, but that would mean that Atlanteans never travelled anywhere and never once left anything behind, and that no one found them remarkable enough to write about, except Plato.

I think the idea is that Atlantis was an island, and that Atlantians never did go any where.

www.unmuseum.org...

Check out this website, then post a reply.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer

Originally posted by longbow
However I wonder what will future archeologists think when they find some excerpt of LOTR books. Will they think the earth was populated by Hobits, Dwarfs and Orc during 20th century?

No, they won't. Tolkien was a famous scholar and I don't think you can erase the billions of references to him or the fact that his world was fantasy and fiction.

And no, they wouldn't get confused by homo-whassisface.

You never know. Maybe Atlantis was a famous city back then, and maybe people then thought that we would never be able to not know about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join