It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canadian Reporter Who Died in Iran Has Been Revealed To Have Been Tortured.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Dr.Shahram Aza has taken refugee status in Canada to expose his finding of torture on a Canadian Woman in Iran.
Zahra Kazemi, who was born in Iran but became a Canadian citizen died in custody after being arrested for taking photos of protesters outside an Iranian prison. She died in Iran's custody on July 11, 2003.
Dr. Azam said Kazemi injuries included a damaged skull, a broken nose, broken fingers, missing fingernails and toenails, a smashed big toe, and ruptured left eardrum.

www.metronews.ca
OTTAWA (Reuters) - A female Canadian photographer who died in Tehran two years ago after being arrested had been badly tortured and quite possibly raped, an Iranian refugee to Canada said on Thursday.

The account by Shahram Azam, who said he was an emergency room doctor in Tehran's Revolutionary Guard Hospital at the time, contradicts the official Iranian assertion that 54-year-old Zahra Kazemi died after she fainted and hit her head.

The death of Iranian-born Kazemi exposed deep rifts between Iran's reformist government and hard-line judiciary and focused attention on what activists say is the country's bad human rights record.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They originally said that she had fainted and hit her head. In reality she was beaten to death after being arrested for taking photos of protesters outside a Tehran prison.
She died a brutal death for standing up against the Iran regime.
Canada can not let this slide, this offense can not go with out justice being served.
Canada has tried to pressure the Iranian regime, without much success, into reopening this case. They might have to join with other countries who have their own problems with Iran.

Related News Links:
www.canada.com
www.theglobeandmail.com

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Wow!...why would such a thing like details of her death be covered up or imbelished like that?

Who gains from this kind of brutal secret? And why?

I pray her family will recover from this heartache.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This is, in sense, the murder of a foreign national by authority figures of another nation. I don't believe any nation should interfere in how another nation runs their country but when they condone murder of foreign nationals they should definately be held accountable for their actions.

A higher court, above the rules of any single nation, should come into play then. Never should murder be considered an action that is ok in any circumstance.

Canada should demand an investigation and turnover of the guards involved in this situation to stand trial for murder.

Phae

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Wow!...why would such a thing like details of her death be covered up or imbelished like that?

Because torture is against international law. They cover up their bad deeds, thats why she was there in the first place. She was there to expose the goings-on in Iran. They didn't like that so they tortured and killed her.
When bad people do bad things they cover it up.

I seen her son on the news today. I don't know what other family she has. He has vowed to continue her work. He sounds as tough as his mother was.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
if it was an american, i'd do like the US used to do in this kind of situation in the 1800's, send a big naval task force to block irans ports and fire on them and demand an apology with compensation....but hey thats just me.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Ottawa is currently pressing Iran for justice of Zahra Kazemi's torture and murder.

www.theglobeandmail.com
Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew said Thursday Ottawa will continue pressing Iran for justice in the wake of shocking new details about the condition of a Montreal photographer days before her death in a jail in that country.

“Iran is continuing to not respect the most fundamental human rights, and this must stop,” Mr. Pettigrew told reporters in Toronto.

“This new evidence only strengthens our position and confirms that this was not an accident. It does not change our position. Quite the contrary. The family wants answers. Canadians want answers, and we will be pursuing this until justice is done.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is step one for Canada. I hope this wont be Ottawa's last step. Ottawa can not back down until justice has been served. Hopefully in the process the people in Iran will be able to remove the oppressors and live without fear of torture.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Hopefully in the process the people in Iran will be able to remove the oppressors and live without fear of torture.

You hit the nail right on the head. The People IN Iran should make waves to remove these oppressors and hopefully no full fledged war will break out "To spread Democracy".

Phae

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Wow

I don't even know where to begin.

This is a prime example of why i talk s*** about iran...but don't worry, they'll get theirs

Am sickened, but, those are the chances you take when you report in countries like iran.

Zahra,
You gave your life to better humanity, and for that, you have my utmost respect. You truely deserve a place of honor

Sep

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Torture is a horible thing that should be removed from humanity. Hopfully a court for ALL would be established and ALL people who commit torture to their or other nations citizens should be punished.

"This is a prime example of why i talk s*** about iran...but don't worry, they'll get theirs"

Iran is not the only country torturing and killing foriegn nationals if you catch my meaning.

new topics

top topics

join