It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada And The EU To Impose Sanctions On US Goods

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
Yup, Canada and the EU will allow plenty of Chinese $.2 cent an hour slave labor goods to floodr the market, yet will sanction the few remaining goods made by Americans for good pay and good benefits.

Capitalism apparently allows people to make there own choices of course, I therefore am boycotting all Chinese slave labor goods.

[edit on 1-4-2005 by RedOctober90]

Thanks people I feel so humble, and thanks for the anniversary post.

Now RedOctober, the next time you walk into a walmart look around and make sure you remember this post because Wal-mart has business with China and are flooding the market with their cheap goods from China.

I don't see anybody telling the American consumers to boycott Wal-Mart and the goods from slave workers in china.

[edit on 1-4-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It's not just the EU and Canada.
Mexico and Japan have joined the party.

Bloomberg
April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Japan and Mexico are preparing to follow the European Union and Canada in imposing extra import duties on U.S. goods after Congress failed to repeal a law that has handed companies such as Timken Co. more than $1 billion in tariffs paid by their competitors.

The Byrd Amendment, first ruled illegal by the World Trade Organization in September 2002, was introduced in 2000 to compensate U.S. industries hurt by foreign goods ``dumped'' at below-market prices. It prompted complaints by a record number of countries at the 10-year-old WTO.

Unless Congress repeals the law, the case may become the most damaging ever at the WTO when the U.S. begins distributing tariffs collected on Canadian lumber, worth $4 billion a year. Japan, the economy most affected by the Byrd Amendment, has the right to impose customs duties worth 125 billion yen ($116 million), the biggest sanctions awarded to Japan in a dispute.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
It's not just the EU and Canada.
Mexico and Japan have joined the party.

Wow- Mexico too! Japan was an 'ify' for me but Mexico I would never have guessed.

This could get really bad really quick.

Look for quick action on the Byrd amendment

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'd just like to say that a lot of the responses, but not all, have been typical of the world's attitude and developing stereotype of Americans... and rightfully so for a large part. I would like to thank the people that actually thing the USA should play by the rules, as your comments in various forums are a breath of fresh air compared to the rhetorical and hypernationalist comments that seem to innundate the forums. As for all of you saying that the US should 'hit back' at the 25 nations imposing sanctions on the US... perhaps you should take a step back and look at what has happened. The sanctions have been imposed on the USA because they are not playing by the rules and are breaking the international rules of trade, as stated by the WTO. The USA has had plenty of time to ammend the fault, but has taken no action to do so. Soooo, if you want to impose more illegal tarriffs in retalliation, by all means go ahead.... then it'd probly be something like 50 countries imposing sanctions on you, then maybe some people just stop trading with the USA all together... after all, China would be just as happy to buy EU their goods. I suggest you stop getting all upset and aggressive over this, and just play by the rules America. After all, you probly made most of the darn WTO rules anyways.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
sorry, was a few typos in there.... I was in a bit of a rush

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You can add India, South Korea, Brazil and Chile to the list.

earthtimes

BRUSSELS: The European Union and Canada have threatened to slap sanctions on the United States for what is described as the failure on its part to revoke an anti-dumping legislation held invalid by the World Trade Organization. The sanctions, by way of punitive duties, will come into force from May 1 on several U.S. goods exported.

Apart from Canada and the EU, six other countries, including South American neighbors Mexico, Brazil, and Chile plus South Korea, India, and Japan, some close allies of the United States, may join the sanctions.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
Yup, Canada and the EU will allow plenty of Chinese $.2 cent an hour slave labor goods to floodr the market, yet will sanction the few remaining goods made by Americans for good pay and good benefits. As well as the idiot EU selling China all sorts of weaponary, we must realize the facist system in place by China, it just doesen't look like it's facist untill you give it a good look.

I'd rather buy Mexican goods than Chinese goods, it's typically of better quality and it's not funding the future global facist regime.

Capitalism apparently allows people to make there own choices of course, I therefore am boycotting all Chinese slave labor goods.

[edit on 1-4-2005 by RedOctober90]

Tell me RedOctober, how do you define Slavery?

Do you define it as "people who willingly go to factories to do work and get paid"?

Perhaps this article will be of interest to all of you out there that cry about "China's Slave Labour".

China's Labour Shortage - NYTimes

And this

China faces more Trade Barriers then any other country

China had $1.26 billion worth of trade barrier cases from 22 major trading partners, including India and the United States, in 2004, more than any other country, the Ministry of Commerce said in its annual report on Friday.

It's funny how they are people out there that turn every thread into a "China Copying/Slavery" thread.

Trade War: USA Vs World

Get ready for it people, here are the places named in the U.S report that are "enacting barrers" towards U.S trade.

The countries and trading areas named in the US barriers report are:
Angola, the Arab League, Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, the European Union, Ghana, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, South Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, the Philippines, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, the Southern African Customs Union, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Venezuela and Vietnam.

Considering that the EU and the Arab League is named as a whole, i think that list contains about half the world.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Finally some progress on this issue!

The U.S. House of Representatives, with strong backing from the White House, has voted to repeal the practice as part of a sweeping budget-cutting bill.

Canada has always opposed the so-called Byrd amendment, which allows the U.S. Treasury to funnel money from duties on Canadian imports directly to the American competitors involved, something other countries don't do.

The Senate must still agree to drop the law, named for Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia.

www.cbc.ca...

Of course this is no guarantee but it is nice to see that some action is being taken.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
It must be the French Canadians behind this.

If you had paid attention in your American history class then you would know that without France America wouldn't even exist.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by ShakyaHeir]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join