It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada And The EU To Impose Sanctions On US Goods

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I would really think Canada would be the last country to want to start a trade war with the US. They depend on us a whole lot more then we do on them. We import far more then we export to any country.

They might not like what will happen if the US pushes back with some of its own trade restrictions

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I would really think Canada would be the last country to want to start a trade war with the US. They depend on us a whole lot more then we do on them. We import far more then we export to any country.

I 'hear ya.' BUT who knows what forces are at play-

The Canadians have their oil and timber sold to China,
U.S. plywood manufacturers would LOVE this move as would U.S. cattlemen.

Mexico could profit handsomely perhaps?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Some of you Americans are really nuts and so blindly patriotic that without looking at the causes immediately propagate for a tradewar in retaliation.

The Euro zone is not weak, there is a reason why the Euro is high -that is because economic players globally (read analysts) have more trust/have increasing demand in the EU's economy than in the US', that they buy/use Euro's instead of the American currency.

A few months ago there was an article which outlined that the strengthening of the US currency (i.e. economy) can only be done if demand from especially the EU and Japan grows. In a trade war, prices will rise and demand will fall. You all know what that will mean to the US economy (and EU's).

Blobber

[edit on 1-4-2005 by Blobber]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Seekerof banned? Very interesting development there

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

Wow indeed interesting development, but not really unexpected IMHO.

Blobber

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Just goes to show how well run and unique these boards are. Can anyone else say they've seen a large forum ban a moderator for acting like Seekerof did?

[edit on 1/4/05 by subz]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ

Oh how about we start to cut you off from electricity and water and natural gas and oh yeah we are like your second largest oil exporter, not too mention all of the other things. Deny Ignorance my ass. You Americans get what you deserve, a country that's going down the #ter in a hurry and yet it's everybody else's fault but your own. Well when your country does go to the crapper and the draft is back for all the wars you guys start then don't come to Canada, we don't want people like you here.

Well said Deeznutz. Everything is always someone else's fault and "if you're not with us you're against us" while they stomp all over everyone, everything, everywhere. Time the brakes got slammed on for goodness sake. I'm sorry to say the U.S. is out of control in many respects. It really saddens me because there are so many wonderful people there...its just that they are short-sighted, don't even know there's a bigger picture to see and really don't understand what their country is doing or its impact on the world at large because they only depend on the mainstream media to tell them what's what. I have so many wonderful friends in the U.S....but for the most part cannot discuss anything of real importance because of this protectionist "I live in a bubble." attitude.

There a participants from ATS from all over...many of us discouraged and a lot of the time avoiding participating in the debates because our opinions and outright facts are shat upon by closed minded Americans.

Anyway, enough soap box...for now. But I originally wanted to respond just to make one correction to what you had to say. Canada is now the top exporter of oil to the U.S., ahead of Saudia Arabia.

[edit on 1/4/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You have voted Duzey for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Excellent post and analysis. Fair and balanced. Well done.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Great Post AlwaysLearning I too have allot of friends "South of the Border" but have recently stopped talking politics with them for reason's you just so perfectly described...

Marge nice breath of fresh air from an American side of view, two thumbs up for seeing the big picture and what really could be at stake for the US if they don't wake up good ole GW soon....

As for Shadow's post I think the Bubble Syndrome is setting in with him, I guess you missed the point about us being one of your biggest importers of oil even over Saudia now, surprising eh????
And let's NOT forget the Hydro and Clean water you get from us as well.....

Import all ya want my friend but when and IF we are FORCED to shut your access off you will have one of two senarios happen to you,
1) You (The USA) will pay DEALRY to import from off shore resourses or
2) An even bigger and longer black out than the last one sir... Which might I had was caused in the US dispite all the blame at Canada...

I hope you realize that I mean NO OFFENSE to the Bubble comment only that you are thinking one sided IMO...

I hope you Amercians wake old GW up soon so I can enjoy talking freely with my American friends again soon.... I am NOT holding my breath though we still have three more years of his GODSHIP....

Great debate all....

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Thanks, Like2Learn! Back at'cha. You new here? If so, welcome!

Also - absolutely agree with what you said to Marg. She is one of a small group of Americans here that are willing to look the facts in the face and call a spade a spade. I think she rocks!

[edit on 1/4/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Yes I am new "AL" (AlwaysLearning) but only to membership, have been lurking for years...
I can't U2U you yet as I need 20 posts and I do NOT want to violate the post rules within the site so I am only responding where I think I can add something...
Obviously being Canadian I have some input on th esubject and was very pleased by Marge's post.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thanks AL, glad you decided (like me) to weigh in on this topic.

I will be watching for the official US response. As mentioned earlier, the tobacco lobby has clout on the Hill; I just don't know if they have enough to outweigh the steel and ball-bearing industries, who benefit the most from the Byrd Amendment.

Paul Celluci (urgh) told us we should be more aggressive with the US, more 'in their face' when he left as ambassador. I guess we're taking his advice.

Also, welcome to membership Like2Learn! I couldn't agree more with the comments about marg the two of you have made. She's just cute as a button, and makes me laugh.

PS. Did you know it is her anniversary today?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Happy anniversary Marge, would have sent this through U2U but I can't....

Membership is ALLOT differnet than lurking let me tell ya, any Old Timers here willing to help me out till I get the swing of things, sorry if this is concidered a thread High Jack, it's NOT INTENDED to be..

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by like2learn
Membership is ALLOT differnet than lurking let me tell ya, any Old Timers here willing to help me out till I get the swing of things, sorry if this is concidered a thread High Jack, it's NOT INTENDED to be..

Not a problem. There is an 'adoption' thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just post a request, maybe with a few of the topics you like, and someone will step up. That way more people will see your request.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Four years ago the US imposed a tariff of up to 30% on Canadian steel, and 29% on Canadian lumber.

That is four years ago! All of the diplomatic effort to have them removed failed, and the matter taken to arbitration by the WTO.

So to you Americans complaining that you have been slighted, maybe you can explain why it is you feel that you and only you should have the monopoly on hitting your trading partners with sanctions and tariffs? You don't like this turnabout, but obviously you expect Canada to mollycoddle you, bend to your every desire and be happy that you violate a mutually agreed upon trading treaty.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yup, Canada and the EU will allow plenty of Chinese $.2 cent an hour slave labor goods to floodr the market, yet will sanction the few remaining goods made by Americans for good pay and good benefits. As well as the idiot EU selling China all sorts of weaponary, we must realize the facist system in place by China, it just doesen't look like it's facist untill you give it a good look.

I'd rather buy Mexican goods than Chinese goods, it's typically of better quality and it's not funding the future global facist regime.

Capitalism apparently allows people to make there own choices of course, I therefore am boycotting all Chinese slave labor goods.

[edit on 1-4-2005 by RedOctober90]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
.Yup, Canada and the EU will allow plenty of Chinese $.2 cent an hour slave labor goods to floodr the market, yet will sanction the few remaining goods made by Americans for good pay and good benefits. As well as the idiot EU selling China all sorts of weaponary, we must realize the facist system in place by China, it just doesen't look like it's facist untill you give it a good look.

I'd rather buy Mexican goods than Chinese goods, it's typically of better quality and it's not funding the future global facist regime.

Capitalism apparently allows people to make there own choices of course, I therefore am boycotting all Chinese slave labor goods.

[edit on 1-4-2005 by RedOctober90]

Well obviously you haven't done a good job. If you open up your computer case, many of the parts will have a stamp made in China on it -and with a high probability the case itself has been imported from China.

Edit: oh by the way (if you are serious) don't fly Boeing airplanes as some parts are also being made in China, and don't wear Levis jeans, also don't buy Nikes. LOL I can go on and on.

Go ahead boycott China (which is actually impossible) and you will only hurt yourself. Why? Because then the Chinese won't be able to buy the Fords, Motorolas, X-Boxes, MS Windows, IPods or whatever is from your country.

As a last note, I love it how you were able to twist and attach "the American moral high ground" within this debate.

Blobber

[edit on 1-4-2005 by Blobber]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I found a link that quotes Paul Cellucci's advice/warning he gave last December when he left his position:

Yet Ottawa was essentially acting on the advice of Paul Cellucci, U.S. ambassador to Canada, who said last December that Canada would likely have to hit Congress hard with sanctions before it would repeal the American law.

"I suspect that it will take the imposition of sanctions by Canada and other countries to get the Congress to act - and I think eventually they will act," said Cellucci, who has since retired from his diplomatic post.

www.cnews.canoe.ca

Paul Cellucci has never done anything less than stand up for your interests in Canada. While he may not be an extememly popular man up here (understatement), he is a strong supporter of the US industries which deal with us. I don't think he would have made these statements if he didn't think that it was in the best interests of the US to repeal this act, as well.

I believe his frankness when he left his post has influenced the way Canada is dealing with this situation. He basically told us when he left that if we didn't start kicking and screaming, nobody would pay any attention. He told us we're too polite about this kind of thing, and need to stand up for ourselves more.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz

When did this happend and what was it for ???

What does a MOD have to do to be banned

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the vote and other comments. I would like to explain that I like the US have friends that live there and have been to 40 of your states. But when I see all this "patriotic","we're the best in the world nobody can survive without us" crap it really pisses me off. We take so much flak from our neighbors to the South for not joining every war you start. Is it so hard to believe that Canadians just want to do our thing stay out of peoples business unless we need to get involved.

I love Canada and the people that live here. I've travelled all over the world and still love this place(except winters). People here just mind their own business, are polite and usually very friendly. That's the way it should be.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join