It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada And The EU To Impose Sanctions On US Goods

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
What in the "He double hockey sticks" ever happened to the NAFTA agreement, this should not be happening, new trade taxes between the US and Canada?

It must be the French Canadians behind this.

SO let me get this straight...America violates NAFTA repeatedly, then attacks Canada for trying to do something about it? So, here we have the typical response:

"Amerika uber alles! Ignore the facts, let us blame foreigners, but especially the French!"

What next? Attacking Pakistan because you were caught torturing some of their nationals?

DE

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

What in the "He double hockey sticks" ever happened to the NAFTA agreement, this should not be happening, new trade taxes between the US and Canada?

NAFTA..... What a joke. It's interesting that of the 3 parties in that particular piece of toilet paper, 2 of them have been granted permission by the WTO to impose sanctions against the 3rd. Perhaps it might not be Canada that is violating the Agreement.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It saddens me that most "patriotic" around here ignore the facts and the reasons, for a good bashing of another foreign country.

I guess denying ignorances is not longer the motto of ATS after all.

SO has been right all alone.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
It saddens me that most "patriotic" around here ignore the facts and the reasons, for a good bashing of another foreign country.

Yes marg, it is very sad.

I was very close to not even bothering to submit this piece of news, because I had a very good idea how it would turn out. I try not to post here much anymore, because it can become a little frustrating when people don't even try to see another side of things. I am following several stories that are ongoing, and have never been brought up at ATS. However, chances of my posting them are very slim, because I can picture the outcome of the threads already, and I just don't want to be a party to it.

But on the positive side, look at who has overcome their dislike for Clinton and his policies on this one thread. This was Clinton's bill, and George Bush is the one trying to overturn it. By supporting the Byrd Amendment, they are becoming more tolerant of other political ideas. I always try to look for at least one positive in everything, sometimes it's just a little harder than others.

This is assuming that they read and understood the links provided, of course. They could just be reacting with the usual 'Canada is bad because they are not the US, and there are French people there' venom, but I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Duzey you are doing just fine the thread is very good and the news are very important taking in consideration that it was predicted by economist that eventually the other countries will start looking into putting pressure on the US because the trade deficit.

Is like taking advantage of the US because they may see US as in a vulnerable time, plus the struggle of superiority about trading is starting also, US will have to compete with other countries for control of markets.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I get a kick out of all this Canada-bashing.

How dare we stand up for what is legal and right in international trade? How dare we and 25 other nations decide to punish the US for illegal trade practices?

The US economy is healthy and thriving, despite what you naysayers and doomsayers assert.

That is the funniest thing I have read all week.

Except replace "naysayers and doomsayers" with "financial analysts and Alan Greenspan".

j

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well thanks marg......

To expand on your comments about warnings being sounded on the home front, the Congressional Budget Office put out this nifty little report in March 2004:

The Continued Dumping and Subsidy Offset Act (CDSOA) of 2000 was enacted on October 28, 2000, as part of the appropriations act for Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies programs for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2001. CDSOA requires that the revenues from antidumping and countervailing duties on a given import be distributed on an annual basis to the domestic producers that were either petitioners or interested parties supporting the petition in the case that resulted in the duties being levied on that import. Under CDSOA, $231 million in duty revenues was distributed in 2001, $330 million in 2002, and $293 million in 2003.(1) The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projects that distributions will total $3.85 billion from 2005 through 2014. On June 16, 2003, the World Trade Organization (WTO) Appellate Body agreed with the ruling of an earlier panel that CDSOA violates the WTO agreement by providing remedies for dumping and subsidies beyond those permitted by the agreement. The United States is therefore vulnerable to retaliation--the amount has not yet been determined--if it does not repeal or modify the law.

In addition to the prospect of foreign retaliation against U.S. exports, the distributions mandated by CDSOA are detrimental to the overall economic welfare of the United States because (1) they encourage the filing of more antidumping and countervailing-duty cases, resulting in more duties that on balance harm the economy; (2) they subsidize the firms receiving them, preventing resources from flowing to higher-value activities in other firms and industries; and (3) they increase the private and public cost associated with the operation and implementation of the laws. They also discourage settlement of cases by U.S. firms, which has mixed effects on the economy.

cbo

I guess the report wasn't taken seriously. I don't know if it's so much about taking advantage of the US (although I'm not denying the possibility), but rather, countries are becoming tired of the 'do as I say, not as I do' style of trade the US practices on an international level. Because you are so large and powerful, it can be very difficult to stand up to the US.

In Canada, we have had several industries decimated because we rely on you for trade to such a large extent. Right now, the big push is for diversification of trading partners, Asia in particular. As long as we depend on the US for such a large part of our exports, you have us over the barrel. And as Seekerof so diplomatically pointed out, a trade war is not in our best interests.

If this was really about punishing the US, and not just an attempt to speed up compliance, the oil would be the first order of business. But that just isn't going to happen. If we did that, we wouldn't have any money to help all the farmers, loggers, etc. that have been put out of business by protectionist and predatory trade practices.

We don't want to screw the US over, we just want the US to play by the same rules they expect us to play by.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Thanks Duzey is all about fairness and fair practices, I said "taking advantage" because you know how it goes around here when you put the blame on the US, the thread would have gotten into another "topic"

But you are right US was warned before and as pointed out its not only Canada but 25 other countries also.

So if somebody is going to blame anybody let's blame the one that is the guilty one the US.

Now I wonder why US has not done the right thing yet, perhaps because it wants to look like a victim?

So the American "patriots" can point fingers to the foreigners

I wonder.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I find some posts in here to highlight the real ignorance around here and it doesnt need to be stated as to who and where.

Is it really the answer to impose more tarrifs when you get punished for breaking trade rules you helped authour?

What would be the use of that? The competition for showing how stubborn and pig headed a country can be is over, the US of A won it. Give it a rest and let reason and logic have a day in the sun for a change

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Thanks Duzey is all about fairness and fair practices, I said "taking advantage" because you know how it goes around here when you put the blame on the US, the thread would have gotten into another "topic"

Oh yes, I know exactly how it goes here.

I went to great effort to word my submission in the most neutral tone possible, and tried to point out the effect it would have on the US taxpayer. I even went so far as to put in the extra bit about Bush saying he is trying to comply with the ruling, so that I could be as fair as I could.

But I must admit, I haven't gotten the deluge of anti-Canada comments I was expecting. ATS has pleasantly surprised me today. While some may think a few of the responses are a bit harsh, and maybe they are, it is nowhere near the level it would have been just a short while ago, IMO.

And just so I'm somewhat on topic:

The sanctions are not good for anyone, in either of our countries. I hope this situation is resolved in an expedient manner as possible.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
And people wondered why the WTO brought riots in its wake wherever it went?

Not once have I seen anyone here mention just how evil the WTO, NAFTA, and the existance of all of the above are, period.

A trade war will insue, thats all the WTO is goof for, bringing chaos.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Oh I just love how evil we Canadians are for standing up for ourselves against illegal trade practices by the US. I mean how dare we?

F#$% that, the US is going to get a taste of it's own medicine and it's about time. And to all those that say we need the US more than you need us, I say BS to that too unless you want to start paying double for your goods and gas because it's a hell of a lot cheaper to import stuff from Canada than Asia or Europe in terms of transportation costs which get added into the price.

I'm beginning to think more and more that the US has no business placing itself as the leader of democracy. What a joke!! You live in a police state now and it's only getting worse. Bush has people removed from his speeches that voice opposition. Well it's time to wake up, the rest of the world is tired of your crap(USA #1 over anybody else) and you are about to get a hard lesson in fair trading.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

as posted by DEEZNUTZ
F#$% that, the US is going to get a taste of it's own medicine and it's about time.

Yeah, the loss of $28 million+/- (EU) and $14 +/- (Canada) ought to set us back real good, eh? Neither are noticable in international trade circles, but hey, if it makes you feel better, more power to it.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Lets tax every Canadian who crosses the border 15% of their wages made at US job each day!

We will call it the Deliverance Tax (swine) bend over and squeel like a pig tax.

It must be the French Canadians behind this.

*shakes head* WOW! THE IGNORANCE OF SOME......however i do agree this should NOT be happenning...hmmmmm...let's look at why it's happenning, oh yeah! the US won't conform to WTO trade regulations.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
its about time canada and the eu stand up and be united.free trade must go.everything has been worked on too fix this situation.usa has played there cards wrong and tried to make a fast buck.time to pay up and follow those free trade agreements.i have no idea why they let this get so out of hand.this problem will have a great effect on trading with the usa for years to come.once the trust is gone i think usa will be put into a corner and will have a heck of a time getting out of it ......

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by DEEZNUTZ
F#$% that, the US is going to get a taste of it's own medicine and it's about time.

Yeah, the loss of $28 million+/- (EU) and $14 +/- (Canada) ought to set us back real good, eh? Neither are noticable in international trade circles, but hey, if it makes you feel better, more power to it.

seekerof

Oh how about we start to cut you off from electricity and water and natural gas and oh yeah we are like your second largest oil exporter, not too mention all of the other things. Deny Ignorance my ass. You Americans get what you deserve, a country that's going down the #ter in a hurry and yet it's everybody else's fault but your own. Well when your country does go to the crapper and the draft is back for all the wars you guys start then don't come to Canada, we don't want people like you here.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

You have voted DEEZNUTZ for the Way Above Top Secret award.

Starve in the dark and the cold, Americans. Your arrogance has brought this upon you.

DE

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
If anybody else was to break the rules and hurt US exports you can bet the US would shout about it and impose sanctions......oh hang on they already have in the past. But when the US breaks the rules everyone else are the bad guys according to the US.

And you wonder why the some parts of world see you has hypocrites never practising what you preach.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
The EU and Canada don't want to start a trade war, do they?
We know who the winners will be, and it won't be them.

Aw that's such an american rambo-thing to say.

All this won't do nothing but hurt hte EU more than the overflated and overhyped Euro has.

IMHO, the US should just simply respond by raising the tariffs on the imports of those countries.

Hmmm I don't know wether you really do watch at economy in Europe, but lately we are doing pretty good. The dollar is weak for a reason. The euro is strong for a reason.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Manufacturer . Com
The World Trade Organization ruled the Byrd Amendment illegal in 2002 and gave some countries the right to retaliate against the U.S. with their own duties. The law has also been criticized domestically as an incentive to sue, and as a form of corporate welfare. It is also a distraction from business, as Ramstad pointed out. "This illegal trade subsidy provides incentives for companies to seek anti-dumping and countervailing duty rewards rather than seeking new markets for their products," he said. "This is time, effort and capital that is being wasted chasing court cases instead of contributing to our economy and creating jobs."

According to Steve Alexander, executive director of the Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition (CITAC), whose members include Procter & Gamble and Toyota, Byrd "undercuts the whole U.S. position on trade."

Repealing the amendment would also help the federal budget deficit. The Congressional Budget Office has calculated that an extra $4.2 billion would revert to the U.S. Treasury over the next ten years.

Americans thought a weakened dollar was bad, this (the thread subject) retaliation could be devastating. Imagine almost everything going up 15% in price.

What is the World Bank (WB)(Wolfowitz) going to do? Canada and most of Europe could tell the WB to kiss off if it tries to pressure them.

Indystar . Com
WASHINGTON -- The World Bank on Thursday approved Paul Wolfowitz as its new president, affirming the administration's choice of a Bush loyalist to take the helm of the 184-nation development bank.

Canada and Europe have small but active World Bank boycotts going on (econjustice) . These started about the time of the Byrd Amendment.

Could be some hot times in the world's economy over the next few months.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join