It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fine line of Insanity & Genius

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Civil44
Everyones crazy in there own little way.

Insanity is sometimes wearing your soul on your shoulder..
people considered more "normal" than others are usually the ones
who practice small talk and avoid expressing emotion to others...

If everyone let their "craziness" out, human unity would not be such a distant pipedream.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There is no line between genius and insanity its all in your head

Really though thats my theory.

That and genius is using your talents the best you can and insanity is letting your talents go to waste.

Of course though genius and insanity is in the eye of the beholder.

whichever of my theories float your boat

To wrap everything i just said into lammens terms 'you is what you is'
genius and insanity are just labels all that matters is how you think of yourself

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
IMO the difference between being a genius and an insane madman is good and evil. I think some people are almost too smart for their own good, and sort of get bored and then turn to insane things if that makes sense. For instance Ted K aka the Unibomber got tired of doing what he was doing and decided mailing people bombs would be more fun, interesting, challenging, rewarding or some other demented reason.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
There is obviously a link between being a genius and insane.
My mates (friends) who have math and engineering degrees etc are quite odd.
They empty their shoes in the middle of the shopping centre, build tesla coils to guard against burglars, do calculus when they cant sleep, think their fridge is talking Morse code when it beeps and swears the fridge translated to 'kill'.

Anyway maybe in order to think a concept unlike any other you have to have an outward way of thinking....
maybe the differences that separate you from a social society cause the environment that develops your 'insane' way of behaving and thinking.

The fact im outcast to a room lacking light with a computer every day for years, of cause something would happen to my state of mind.
And when your in your room or in solitary confinement with access to knowledge of cause you obtain knowledge.

anyway writing and i dont go together, im working on it, but lots of the 'insane' behavious and strange/different concepts and ways of thinking i and my friends indeed have,.

my problem is trying to obtain the knowledge, its obtaining the resources/opportunities and knowledge to carry out the goals and concepts in life.
i struggle with that.

look at Nikola Tesla, his life was one great struggle.
Every time he tried to invent, get funding, build a lab etc something would go wrong. his labs got knocked down, he has patents stolen, he didnt get a noble prize, he worked as a labourer for like 2 years to get funding.

imagine going out the front of your house and seeing einstien digging trenches for money to finance his research.
Tesla is probably the greatest inventor for all the struggling he did and all the bad things that went wrong - he stil achieved so much.

I just learnt about cold electricity, which is a discovery of Nikola Tesla we will be seeing in the future, i am quite certain.

Anyway i am not inciting that i am intelligent, i am just trying to make some examples of similarities and point out that people struggle to achieve their concepts and goals because of lack of support/social outcasting/resources.

The fact Tesla had to be a labourer upsets me.

Anyway i stil maintain the fact that one day in some aspect i will rule the world, or i will be able to break through any computer security system, thats on my to do list.

i have no idea what my point was anyway, dismiss anything i wrote unless you got something from it.

Also its interesting i have been thinking if the environment we live in develops our minds.....
for example what if all of us were born with broad shoulders, looks that made the girls scream, chiseled abs, and lived at the beach and had access to surfing, would you all have achieved what you achieved and be who youa re today and have ever written on this forum?
would i have ever written on this forum?

The computer at many points in my life was from my point of view my only friend, i always have a change of thoughts, my mind is always switching from thought to thought, from idea to idea, perhaps being of some intelligence, not necessarily a genius but just being of some intelligence is a curse and a life struggle.

My brother is a major in english and i don't know anyone as good as he is in writing but its odd, its almost as though he was born a nerd.
he got thick black square glasses, no long vision, he has odd indie music taste that scrae people, example "the animal collective" is a band - listen to them.
he got asthma, diabeties type 1 - the insulin dependent one.,he is 22 with no driving license.

I have Wegeners granuloma matosis and im only 19 this year, i have screwed up lungs, no long vision, weird long hair, acne, i dont try to be weird but i cant control my thoughts and ideas and goals, i am called a light switch by friends for im always switching on and off, i blame what i am on my environment - i shouldnt have moved away from the beach, perhaps i would know a girl, anyway i consider knowledge all we really have

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy

Almost all geniuses are labelled "insane". It's because they have discovered knowledge that others do not yet understand. So the "others" need to come up with an explanation why they do not understand, so they don't look "stupid".

It really is that simple.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Absinthe is not proven to cause mental damage and it does not have hallucinogenic properties. I'll give you two insane geniuses: Edgar Allan Poe and Vincent Van Gogh who was actually diagnosed with schizophrenia.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
insanity is a label put to those with ideas not understood by the majority.... majority rules..... minority converts or is put in to mental exile.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join