It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: N. Korea Demands U.S. Dismantle Nukes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
North korea has told the United States that it will not discuss its nuclear program until America dismantle its nuclear threat in the region.

www.foxnews.com
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea said Thursday the United States should first dismantle all potential nuclear threats in the region before it would discuss giving up its own nuclear program, and demanded to be treated on an equal basis in disarmament talks now that it has atomic weapons.

"Now that we have become a nuclear power, the six-party talks (search) should be disarmament talks where participants can solve the issue on an equal basis," a North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said in a statement carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that North Korea is playing a very dangerous game with the United States by seeing how far they can push the states. Refusing to come back to the 6 parties talks until America has removed its nuclear threats is a very dangerous game to play, especially when Washington is getting very angry with North Korea.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
something to note,
its my view that North Korea is trying to push America into a war here. On the last couple of months, North Korea keeps pushing America up against the wall with threats such as aiding Iran for a nuclear weapon.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I have to agree with you. Kim is playing too close to the edge and will fall off eventually.

I have stated this before on a few threads:

This whole thing has been well played by the Bush administration why?

1) China is heavily involved and the US insists on thier participation. Why? If China can exert enough pressure to get Kim to give up the weapons, you get the results you want. If they fail, they lose face.

2) With our military already stretched pretty thin by commitments elsewhere we need lots of help and cannot act unilateraly. Thus Kim is making it easier to get UN approval to use force if he keeps it up

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Lil' Kim does this every so often.

He is nothing more than a pissed pff chimp banging on his cage for attention.

Though it does raise the interesting situation.... it has always bothered me that my goverment goes around telling other countries that they should not have nukes... while we have enough nukes to make the entire world dead 100 times!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I find it very hard to believe that North Korea will ever give up their nukes. I think America is not only wasting its breath (and political capital) but is cheating itself out of more realistic ambitions in the Korean situation.

For all their strange behavior and bluster, North Korea is still afraid of us. There are virtually no scenarios for a Korean war (apart from China's full endorsement of North Korean aggression) that end with North Korea remaining under Kim Jong Il. Our goal then should be to deprive them of any Chinese support for hostile actions and to appear no more threatening than is necessary to preserve the security of our allies in the region (especially since our allies in the region are generally proud people who are gradually growing weary of having our forces around, and we don't want to push them away from us.)

There is deterrence in the region. Nobody can afford a first strike- miscalculation is far and away the most likely trigger for a war. Tension can breed that miscalculation. Engagement will reduce the possibility for war by miscalculation AND can create peaceful leverage, allowing us to excercise influence over them inspite of their deterrent. Reducing tension over the nuclear issue by leaving it alone and increasing economic interaction is the answer.

I'm not calling for another handout to North Korea the way Clinton gave them. The carrot and stick doesn't work when they can reach the carrot without stepping forward. Mutually beneficial deals are another story. If we can't get North Korea to give up it's missile programs, let's see if we can get them to contribute to peaceful uses such as space programs. If we can't get them to give up their nuclear program, let's see if we can get them to sell power, nuclear fuel, or other peaceful radiological products to neighbors. Not only that, but let's work out those trade deals so that North Korea is consuming foreign products in trade for whatever we arrange for them to export- not just taking cash to pump into their military. .

This is obviously just an example, but let's suppose that South Korea agreed to buy North Korean nuclear power if North Korea would open up it's market to South Korean cellphone services. You create commerce which is good for both sides, you create engagement which is good for stability, and in some cases (such as the cellphone example) you increase the flow of information in North Korea which will weaken the cult of personality and open that nation up to reform in the future.

As was said earlier, Kim Jong Il DOES want to provoke us, because the fear of America is what keeps him in power. He'll never accept the things I'm proposing because of that. Now how many times will his ministers and his generals watch him swat away great opportunities before they resolve either to overthrow him or to make sure that someone unlike him assumes power when he is gone?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
mods are mods ... mods will be mods ... forever

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Will one of our federal board agents please encourage our friend there to just keep any other thoughts he may have to himself?

FBA= Future Banned ATSer

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahaha

The living troll doll with a country the size of Maine is telling the US to disarm

ROTFLMAO...

It is just about time to re-aim that assumed preemptive iran strike in another direction...

Turn the last few lights out in NK...
see how fast his people revolt if they can't be flooded with propaganda drivel 24/7, via the airwaves for a few days.
He wouldn't be so hot without his "voluntary" audience.

we could send china a nice fruit basket with a "opps, we accidentally dropped 20 MOAB's in the middle of Kims playground" signiture...
"here are some nice conciliatory chocolates and pineapples" so very sorry... hope none of your guys were in the target zone, can you please start importing cheap cars now"?
signed,
King Shrub

that guy is the biggest arguement for government sponsored assasination that I have ever seen....
Saddam is peter pan by comparison...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Good post Lazarus.

This fool Kim is asking for it! He seems to actually want us to attack and destroy his pitiful little self, personal Disney collection and country. It is sooooooo tempting, but this time I say let's just wait a little longer for the inevitable implosion.

What a maroon!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'd advise you to read this thread if you think N.Korea is a cake walk in the park.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You have your answer. Your analysis was completely incorrect and has been soundly refuted with numerous citations of the true capabilities of North Korean equipment. If you desire I can bring in more, including the details on their 50-60 year old tanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Kim's motives are obviously not pure. But perhaps the U.S. should lead by example and dismantle its massive WMD programs. How do we encourage people to disarm when we won't? Seems like a double standard.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Kim's motives are obviously not pure. But perhaps the U.S. should lead by example and dismantle its massive WMD programs. How do we encourage people to disarm when we won't? Seems like a double standard.

Yeah, but will Kim disarm if the US do?
somehow i really doubt it

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Nuclear weapons, perhaps like all weapons, are a mistake. In times of extreme difficulty in the past our ancestors have opened pandora's box again and again, each time withdrawing something new and devastating that we would like very much to put back in the box once the conflict is over.
Unfortunately that's not going to happen so long as their is conflict. You win one and you immediately go on guard for the next one- even if there isn't one in the foreseeable future. That's why the existing nuclear powers (including North Korea most likely) will never disarm unless nukes cease to actually be viable.
That doesn't mean we need to open pandora's box any further by letting more nations arm themselves with these weapons. To say that an armed America lacks the moral grounds to ask others to forego nukes is to miss the point entirely. The point is not moral. The point is material and stems from the threat to humanity that nuclear weapons represent. That threat is enhanced by nuclear proliferation- period.
To oppose proliferation is to check the growth of a threat to humanity. It is a good thing, even if it is second best to actually bringing about total disarmament of all nations.

One day, God willing, disarmament will begin. Perhaps the nuclear powers will enter into agreements that place their arsenals under joint control and reduce the size of those arsenals. For example UK, France, and America all share joint control of a small but sufficient arsenal for second-strike use only, while Russia and China do likewise, and then they mutually begin to economically and if need be militarily force the minor nuclear powers to join their respective umbrella organizations.
I believe the key will be bilateralizing the issue and ending the "Mexican Standoff". Stopping proliferation is vital to making that a possibility for the future.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

Noone is going to disarm willingly. Not the way things are going. If we disarm, Kim and others like him will have more leverage to do whatever they want.....which includes reclaiming the south and making it communist, just like the north....

I just wish that some people would just step down from the clouds they seem to be standing on... If the US and allies disarm, all hell will break loose and every Kim, and other states which have declared themselves our enemies, out there will try to take advantage of the situation....

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The US will not disarm, if they did, it would allow the enemies of America to aim themselves and have an advantage over them. The US will probably ignore theis comment by North Korea.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I am wondering if a move like this from NK could have possibly been instigated/endorsed by China? Or even Russia? Or both? Kind of a backdoor slap in the face to the US? Or who knows they might be trying to tempt the US into confrontation/military action in Korea so they can grab Taiwan when we are forces are scattered and couldn't muster either the military or public support to defend Taiwan? Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Saying the North Korea made nukes so they'd be treated equally in disarmament talks is like saying Africans moved to the US so they can fight for civil rights. Saying the US must dismantle all nuclear weapons that pose a threat to North Korea is rediculous when you consider the fact that there are missles in New Jersey that could turn Korea into a glow in the dark Saharra. I don't think this has anything to do with the "threat to North Korea", rather it's just the communists trying to throw a wrench in our gears and it's never worked before. This is exactly the kind of rat in a corner demands and statements made by communists since Kruschiev (sp?) stopped by for a visit.

Another war in Korea would be worse than a bad idea, it would remind us of the younger generation why war is so hated. Personally I think this whole idea comes from China who seems to be on the last legs of their communist regime. I remember a great qoute from a chinese woman I saw on the BBC "I think communisms great, I just don't see what it has to do with me"

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
seems north korea is continuing to play mind games with the rest of the world, wondering if anyone is falling for their games though

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

North korea has told the United States that it will not discuss its nuclear program until America dismantle its nuclear threat in the region.

I'm sure the White House's response was something like this...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join