It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Display of Violence in Tightly Controlled North Korea on Display During Soccer Match

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
What is it with people getting violent at soccer matches???
With the exception of college sports, soccer matches tends to have more violent outbreaks than any other sport I know. Why are soccer fans so damn passionate? I for one, will never attend a soccer match, even though i like the sport, I'm scared of falling stands and crazy fans.

Rare Display of Violence in Tightly Controlled North Korea on Display During Soccer Match

North Korea may be isolated and tightly controlled, but it apparently is no stranger to a problem that plagues capitalist countries: soccer violence.
A World Cup qualifying match between Iran and North Korea in the capital of Pyongyang erupted into a melee Wednesday evening when fans were enraged after referees failed to call a penalty against one of the visiting players.

Bottles and rocks were thrown on the field, and masses of North Koreans surrounded the Iranian team's bus after the match - a rarely seen display of public violence in the authoritarian country. North Korea lost, 2-0.

btw, my silly sense of humor had me laughing when I read the match was between Iran and North Korea.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think that a lot of soccer fans are violent hooligans because soccer is a global sport. It's country against country. It's like war on a smaller scale. People take pride in their country to the extreme sometimes. Mix in a little alcohol and a soccer game turns in to a powder keg.

Peace

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Since I've been in the UK I've seen a fair share of Rugby and Soccer matches. I remember after the Wales vs. Ireland Rugby match I was sitting in a pub deep in downtown Cardiff, Wales and chatting it up with a former Rugby player. He told me something that would probably stick with me for the rest of my life (or until I forget
)

Soccer is a gentlemans game played by holligans, Rugby is a holligans game played by gentleman.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Simulacra the saying works for the supporters too, unfortunately.

There has never to my knowledge been any violence at a rugby match that even starts to compare to football violence. Ireland v England rugby matches are intense affairs both for the teams and the fans but no matter who wins you can be sure to see the fans together in the pubs afterwards. On the other hand the last time England played Ireland, the match was abandoned because of England fans violence. Ireland had scored, England fans took offence and decided to destroy the stadium....

Its a shame that such a great sport is ruined my senseless thugs

new topics

top topics

join