It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan jail term for US convicts cut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I can't believe that these men are actually in a heated, carpeted prison cell with satellite tv

Afghan jail term for US convicts cut

Three Americans jailed for torturing Afghans have won shorter sentences from an appeal court.

Jonathan Idema, Brent Bennett and Edward Caraballo were jailed last September after a chaotic trial that embarrassed US and Nato forces and sowed confusion about clandestine US operations in Afghanistan.

The three Americans were arrested in July when Afghan security forces raided a house in downtown Kabul and discovered eight Afghan men who said they had been abused. They were convicted two months later in a trial marred by faulty translation and seemingly improvised procedures.

Four Afghans were also convicted as accomplices. At a closed-door session on Tuesday, the appeals court upheld their convictions for torture and operating a private jail, one of four judges hearing the case Abdul Latif said on Thursday. But it quashed the charge that they entered the country illegally.

The court cut the 10-year terms handed to Idema, the alleged ringleader, and to right-hand man Bennett to five and three years, respectively, Latif said. Caraballo, a New York journalist, will serve two years instead of eight.

Latif said the trio had appealed to the Supreme Court, their last recourse.

Confirmation

Michael Macey, a spokesman for the US embassy confirmed the ruling, but provided no further details.

Idema, a 48-year-old former soldier from Fayetteville, North Carolina, insists he and his accomplices were tracking down "terror suspects" including al-Qaida leader Usama bin Ladin in close cooperation with US and Afghan security forces.

The US military acknowledges accepting a prisoner from Idema, but insists it realised shortly afterwards that Idema was an impostor.

Nato peacekeepers also helped the trio on three raids, later saying they were duped.

Something about this story and these men involvement in Afghanistan has always stood out as fishy to me, what it is, I don't know, but I don't fully believe they were "unwanted" vigilantes, more like mercenaries to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
An earlier story on these men
US vigilantes convicted in Kabul

Jonathan Idema and Brent Bennett were sentenced to 10 years in jail and Edward Caraballo eight years.

Idema, who the US calls a bounty hunter, said his work had been approved by Afghan and US authorities. He told the court the FBI was setting him up.

Four Afghans working with the Americans were also found guilty and sentenced to between one and five years in jail.

Idema said after the trial: "I apologise that we tried to save these people... We should have let the Taleban murder every... one of them."

He said he had been given a passport by an unnamed American agency and had a visa similar to those owned by US special forces.

He did not elaborate on his allegations against the FBI

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I can't believe that these men are actually in a heated, carpeted prison cell with satellite tv

They were primarily punished for illegally imprisoning people in poor conditions. While the satellite tv is perhaps unnecessary, i don't see how carpeting and heat can be a problem.

I don't know, but I don't fully believe they were "unwanted" vigilantes, more like mercenaries to me.

I think that their story jives. They're adventurers. This sort of thing happens in unstable regions. People set up their own little baronies and rule it with force. The use of mercanaries is somewhat publically known, I don't see why these guys should be considered mercenaries, they seemed to be working for themselves.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
these guys claim that the US, namely the FBI knew and supported their actions in afghanistan. They also claim that the FBI removed evidence they had proving that.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

these guys claim that the US, namely the FBI knew and supported their actions in afghanistan. They also claim that the FBI removed evidence they had proving that.

What reason is there to beleive them tho? They are probably claiming this in order to get off. If they were contracted by the gov, then where is their copy of the contract? The mercenaries in iraq and the rest of the world have actual contracts.

Anyway, what does 'knew and supported' mean? That the FBI knwe he was in afghanistan? I don't think that that is in doubt. That they knew and supported him torturing people? How's he expect to be able to demonstrate that?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Interesting find worldwatcher. I agree this case has been rather bizarre to say the least. Half the facts seem to remain eclipsed rather intentionally other than that Idema and his crew certainly are mercenaries fully driven to the quest of capturing the lotto-ban rewards for themselves, conveniently using patriotic pretenses to defend their roguish improvised methods when their pseudo-ops were compromised.
Here is a past Zeddicus thread shedding some further background and a possible Earl Pitts connection:

Jack Idema: Conspiracy or Crazy?

also a past article highlighting Idema's claims & defense to the charges.

Idema: I located bin Laden

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
what's your reason for not believing them? Don't tell me you believe the FBI isn't capable of lying or covering up something they shouldn't have been doing?

if you read the article or did a google on it, you would know these men claim the proof they had of the govt involvement was taken away from them by the FBI.

but how silly of me to question the official story and entertain other ideas.

and thanks for the links vajaranya

[edit on 3-31-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

what's your reason for not believing them?

They're criminals.

Don't tell me you believe the FBI isn't capable of lying or covering p something they shouldn't have been doing?

They're certainly capable. His story isn't immpossible. What has he presented that indicates that its true?

claim the proof they had of the govt involvement was taken away from them by the FBI.

How convientient.

but how silly of me to question the official story and entertain other ideas

I didn't say it was silly. I am simply saying that I don't see any reason to beleive them. The US isn't run by angels, its entirely possible that he's telling the truth. But he can't demonstrate it, and he's a convicted criminal trying to take the blame off himself. So why beleive him?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I doubt professional mercs would be confessin' so easily, especially without torture... Then again, I suppose the Bushies could have hired amatures...

Still, prolly not an issue...as they seem to be what they are claimed to be...vigilantes.

top topics

join