It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Follow the Money to Solve a Nuclear Black Market Mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
While still circumstantial, new pieces of evidence are helping to unravel the nuclear black market. Nearly two tons of uranium handed over by Libya has become a central study on who is supplying the radioactive material, and to whom they have sold it. Libya has also surrendered financial ledgers to the United States that provide some evidence of the transactions, and evidence that Libya was planning to purchase enough to manufacture ten small nuclear weapons. By a process of elimination, it is now clear for many that North Korea is the only possible source of the uranium. This new information sent a chill through Washington, Asia and the offices of the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency.

www.nytimes.com

This account was pieced together from interviews with former and current American officials, allies whom they have briefed, and nuclear investigators from other nations.

Last week, for the first time in public, the White House declared that the uranium came from North Korea. "The fact that nuclear material found its way out of North Korea to any destination is a source of serious concern for the United States," said Scott McClellan, the White House spokesman, in a letter to The Washington Post. The letter denied that American officials visiting Asia had focused on the North Korean connection to draw attention from the fact that Mr. Khan's network in Pakistan - an American ally - had acted as a middleman.

More recently, United States officials have tried to follow the money trail. They argue that Libyan funds made it to companies or banks linked to North Korea. One foreign diplomat said I.A.E.A. investigators were digging through the same financial records that the United States had examined, and traced the money flow through money launderers to Khan front companies and "various bank accounts all over the world."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The evidence is mounting against North Korea, but some feel that the US administration is still a little gun shy about making definitive accusations over weapons of mass destruction. We also find that Libya was intending to purchase 20 tons of this material, which is enough to build 10 nuclear weapons, Pakistan has dirty fingers as well.

The only remaining piece of the puzzle is a sample of uranium from North Korea. It seems to me that after a year and a half of possession and study, the US, China, or the UN could obtain a sample so this case could be closed.

Without that proof, it will be safe for North Korea to continue selling uranium and missiles to any terrorist group they wish, and you can bet that they are. Now they are demanding that we dismantle our nuclear weapons.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Report: North Korea May Have Sold Uranium

[edit on 3/31/05 by NoPhobos]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Isn't the US like selling Nuclear capable Jets to this "ally" pakistan?
And they are middle men in Nuclear grade black market uranium trade?
Illegaly?

Sure, North Korea did it all by themselves ...

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

(from story URL)
The Bush administration, joined by United Nations inspectors, now say the uranium most likely came from North Korea and helps to build a case that the North has exported dangerous nuclear material to Libya, and perhaps beyond.

Big deal, this is not new. NK has shipped out uranium for a long time and many people have known it.

Instead of 'building a case' the U.S. should be figuring more ways to neutralize NKs nuclear program.

I have no doubt that some of the explosions in NK over the years have been nuclear related accidents caused by outside forces (human).

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The new parts are the Libyan financial records and the testing that eliminated Pakistan as a possible source of the uranium. With a little steam, this could be the trigger for justifying open military action in N. Korea.

As you stated, I also have no doubt that there has already been some covert military action there.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I have no doubt that some of the explosions in NK over the years have been nuclear related accidents caused by outside forces (human).

This can be interpreted in one of two ways. 1. They are inept or 2. Covert Ops I'm leaning towards 1 right now ttyt.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This can be interpreted in one of two ways. 1. They are inept or 2. Covert Ops I'm leaning towards 1 right now ttyt."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, you are probably right about it being ineptitude. NK is a very poor and hungry country. That can translate into many mistakes. I would be much happier if it was covert ops.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Justifying a war with north korea is a good thing? I feel for the people stuck under the mickey mouse loving drunk they call a leader. Hopefully the guy will die from old age and cooler heads will prevail.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I am against assasination in almost every case, but the human troll doll deserves a new t-shirt... how bout a target store t-shirt?
anyone want to donate one to him?

Most of the time, assasination just leaves a void that would be quickly filled with a worse enemy,
but in this case... no one could replace the "dear leader" except for one of his sons...
one is out of favor and the other is far too young to gain acceptance...
If he were assinated, the military would probably try to take over, and as bad as that sounds, it would be much better than crazy Kim...
military leaders are able to negotiate and compromise. While all Kim can do is sit around looking at all the people who are paid to fawn over him, and pretend to be a big shot.

new topics

top topics

join