It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Is Biometric Security Really Better

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Several of the newer high-end cars are boasting that their new keyless security systems will eliminate car theft. Several have even gone one step further and added a biometric security feature to foil the plans of theives. Today we read about an accountant who had his finger stolen by theives when they realized that they would be unable to steal the car with the biometric security.

news.bbc.co.uk
Police in Malaysia are hunting for members of a violent gang who chopped off a car owner's finger to get round the vehicle's hi-tech security system.

The car, a Mercedes S-class, was protected by a fingerprint recognition system.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After reading this story I have a sense of relief that this car wasn't started with a retinal scanner. Imagine the horror when the theives realized that they needed his eyes. Does biometric security really create a safer more secure enviroment, or does it simply transfer some of the damage of theft to people? I'm sure that it does prevent theft when the driver is not around, but once this security measure is implemented in full, theives would simply wait for the drivers to appear before making their moves.

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This just goes to show the level that people on the wrong side of the law are willing to go in order to get what they want. Lie, Cheat, Steal, Chop off a finger.

Not sure who said it, but there is a saying that goes something like: Laws are there to keep the honest people honest.

Phae

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Biometric Security is not security at all....a thief will always find a way to steal. I knew eventually something like this would happen. They can keep their biometric system...

The man would've done better to have keys.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Car thieves getting you down?

Sounds like you need TRUNK MONKEY

[edit on 2005/3/31 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Now that was funny. Good idea, but I don't think PETA will be happy with us keeping monkeys in our trunk.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
When the thieves sell the car, will they have to sell the finger too? The new buyer might realise it's stolen.

Personally, if it had been my car and my finger, I'd have gone to the garage and strted the var for the thieves and hopefully kept my digit.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
There must be a way of resetting the fingerprint, otherwise you'd never be able to to sell the car again legally. I'm sure the criminals know a way.

Phae

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
O thats gotta hurt well if we can think of another car protection go ahead because I don't think Biometric Security is safe.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There has to be some kind of security feature that can't be bypassed. Maybe everyone should have a chip in their head that registered who was in the car. That way we can log who is attempting to steal, and keep them locked up. I know that sounds a bit extreme, but what else can we do about it?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The movie "Demolition man" had this moment, when a prison guard has his eyeball plucked with a ballpoint pen, because the escapee needed to open prison doors during his escape bid.

So yeah, somebody thought about that, too.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I knew there was a movie where this happened but couldn't remember which one. Also what was the movie that Tom Cruise was in where he had his eyes replaces so he wouldn't be caught?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The trunk monkey ads are very funny, but I think that recent mauling of that guy by those chimps who chewed off his genitals and one of his feet, adds a whole new dimension.

[edit on 05/3/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
His feet? Genitals? it was his face wasn't it. What are you on, monkey boy! lol

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

When the thieves sell the car, will they have to sell the finger too?

They don't necessarily have to sell the car to another person. What would probably (more likely) happen is that they would take the car to a chop shop, strip the car down and sell its parts.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lister
His feet? Genitals? it was his face wasn't it. What are you on, monkey boy! lol

Perhaps, this will clarify the event in question.

St. James Davis, 62, underwent more facial surgery on Monday at Loma Linda University Medical Center, where he was being treated after losing fingers from both hands, an eye, part of his nose, cheek, lips and buttocks in the attack, attorney Gloria Allred said. One of his feet was also mutilated and a sheriff's commander has said Davis's genitals were mauled.

www.ledger-enquirer.com...

www.xposed.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

www.nctimes.com...

www.fresnobee.com...

www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have heard that if a thief were to place a piece of chewed gum over a finger scanner and press your finger on the scanner that it will work. I have not yet had the opportunity to try this.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Gummi Bears can be used to fool some biometric devices. I use mine for convenience more than security, because I really don't think anyone is going to go out of his way to try to break into my computer. It just saves a lot of time and trouble trying to get into all those password protected sites I have to join to read news stories. I still type my password to log on my computer.

pcworld.com...

[edit on 05/3/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
So you have thumb scanner for your computer access? Does this enter your user name and password for you? Ha

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yep. Here it is. It's not perfect, but I like it.

www.amazon.com...

top topics

join