It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What I was wondering was:

If you had a clone, could you transplant your head and your spinal cord- connected to each other- (Just the head and the spinal cord)- into the clone. The head and the spinal cord wouldn't be rejected as foreign tissues/organs, because they would be transplanted into a clone. The clone's body would be the right size for the spinal cord and head I guess (Depending on the age of the body) (How much would the size of the clone matter in regards to the transplantation?)
The point of doing so would be to extend the life of the person who was transplanted. But would the transplantation of the head and spinal cord probably do that, given the fact that any organ transplant can be hard on the body?
Obviously having your head transplanted into a clone would be better than having your brain transplanted, because if just your brain was transplanted, the connections the brain would have to the eyes and ears would be severed. And if you were transplanted without your spinal cord, you'd be paralyzed.
So what I was wondering is- would it be possible to transplant the head AND the spinal cord of a person- without severing them from each other- into a clone. (I mean just the head and the spinal cord.)
Keep in mind that Dr. Robert White has succesfully done head transplants with monkeys. The monkeys were paralyzed though because the spinal cord needed to be severed to do the head transplants. And the monkeys werent transplanted into clones of themselves and I don't think they lived very long (Possibly because they were rejected as human tissue)
I mean, would it be pretty much to take the head out of the body with just the spinal cord attached to it? (In order to transplant it into the body of the clone)
I'd like to talk to Doctor White, but I don't know how to contact him. I don't even know if he's still alive.
Anyways I was wondering how long somebody could live if they could get this done every so often
and I guess my next question is:

Whats your view on cloning, do you think theyve already cloned humans?

Well anyways nobodys replied yet...which kind of sucks :/

[edit on 31-3-2005 by DragonFire]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i'll reply for the hell of it ok hrm i think that it would cause great moral issues of creating life just to destroy it (im reffering to the brain) but if you could somhow creat just the body then i suppose it would be ok hrm i think ive lost any point i was trying to make lol

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I don't see why you couldn't do this, but it, of course, wouldn't help with degenerative CNS problems (and who knows what happens with respect to the deterioration of the brain out past 115 years or so).

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Do you think that by transplanting the head and spinal cord of a person- every so often- you could make them live longer? I mean how much longer do you think people could live if their spinal cord and head could be transplanted into new bodies every so often? (Please keep in mind when answering this that any organ transplants probably take a toll on the body)

(In the future there may be better ways to treat degenerative brain disease anyway. I mean maybe in the future they'll be able to treat brain problems really well with stem-cells.)

I had a couple more questions...

what is the spinal cord attached to? I mean, what would you have to sever it from to transplant it? (assuming it wouldnt be detached from the head during transplantation)

Would it be necessary to transplant anything other than the head and spinal cord? (The reason the spinal cord would be transplanted is because if it wasnt paralysis would occur)

Do you think the clone would pretty much have to be the same size as the original (Eg do you think it would have to have grown to the same size as the original) in order for transplantation of the head and spinal cord to be done well? (I meant that question to be more in regards to the spinal cord than the head)

Anyways thanks

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Does anyone know about a way I could contact Dr. White? Could anyone help me contact him?
(I know this seems like an odd request, sorry. Its not like I have a clone of myself or anything lmao)

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think there will be more of a future in making so the human body does not age. The normal life span for a human skin cell is 7 days it can only split for 7 days after that the dna is in such bad shape it is unable to replicate anymore and dies. They have a skin sample in a lab that has been alive for a year and a half. With no stem cells present to replenish the skin cells. Normaly a skin sample would only last a week or 2 before totaly dieing out. It was a gene that they found and if they can isolate the gen and use gene tharaply on everyone then it should thoreticly make it so that humans would live 10-30 times longer then the do now. so living for 800 to 2300 years. I could live with that Even though you would have to more or less put down a contract where you could not have kids or limited too 1 kid per person.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
okay but anyways, does anyone know how I could contact Dr. Robert White, could anyone help me find him?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Interesting idea,

But you'd prolly have Alzheimer's disease pretty soon anyhow, likely only going through one transplant, since the brain would still be old, and misfiring like the plugs on my truck, haha!

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
^good point maybe somthing like cyborg memory modules could be added to compensate heh here i go with the scifi but this is a pretty spacey thread

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I don't think that there's any problem with the cloning of animals, but we are starting to cross the line if we clone people. That would raise all kinds of legal problems. Who commtted the crime, you or your clone?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
But youd (Hopefully) still be able to live for awhile as long as the degenerative diseases werent fatal.

Anyways,
anyone going to help me contact Dr. White? I mean you could always swear at me or something instead but Id appreciate the help

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire
okay but anyways, does anyone know how I could contact Dr. Robert White, could anyone help me find him?

GOOGLE my friend........it works wonders

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well the bad news is, according to this, Alzheimer's Disease is fatal
www.med.umich.edu...
the good news, though, is that it looks like I won't have a huge chance of getting it.
because according to this
www.med.umich.edu...
A person with no family history of Alzheimer’s disease has about a 5% chance of getting the disease over the course of his or her lifetime. A person with a parent, sister or brother with Alzheimer’s disease has about a 19% chance of getting the disease. A person with a grandparent, aunt or uncle with Alzheimer’s disease has about a 10% chance of getting the disease. In all cases, the chance of getting Alzheimer’s disease increases with age.
But even though its fatal, it says
Most people with Alzheimer's disease live 8 to 10 years after they are first diagnosed. Some people can live for up to 20 years with the disease.

And I mean, once we have better technology, maybe we can prevent and treat stuff like that better

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
However, it does say your chances of developing Alzheimer's disease increase with age. (I just mentioned Alzheimers because somebody else did in this thread)

I tried Google, I still couldnt find him. I put like "Robert White, Monkeys" and everything
lol so if somebody else can help me find a way to contact him, it would be much appreciated

join