It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large beetle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ok this may not seem that impressive but to me it is very strange. I have included two pictures of a beetle that I found in my driveway...One shows it in relation to a quarter and the other is it beside a ruler.(I know that some people here aren't American and don't know how big a quarter is.) I have lived in Kentucky my entire life and I have never seen a beetle like it and I spend a lot of time outdoors. A beetle this size, I would have surely seen by now. I would be very happy to hear any ideas about it, if anyone of you know anything about it.
I can take more pictures of it if you need to more of it...I have it in a petri dish in my office.
It is 4 cm or 1.75 inches long...

[Edited on 18-7-2003 by K_OS]

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
K_OS, I live in Virginia and to be honest, I have never seen a beetle that looks like that though it does resemble an over sized Japanese Beetle and/or June Bug. Is it still alive? The color on it is simply amazing. Looks silverish.

Might want to give it a leaf of green or something.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It was dead when I found it...I haven't seen one like it before either, I have looked online but the largest beetle that is listed around here is a June bug, but this one is much larger than a June bug, about twice the size. It is a yellowish-green color...fairly close to the picture.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Times like this you want Future-Google, just plug in your favorite beetle or person picture and there is your answer, in 2 milliseconds.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Times like this you want Future-Google, just plug in your favorite beetle or person picture and there is your answer, in 2 milliseconds.

That would be nice!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
OK I guess this doesn't belong in crypto... I have found it, it is a female Eastern Hercules Beetle... a type of scarab.

The only Hercules beetle species in Kentucky is the Eastern Hercules Beetle, Dynastes tityus, which is the largest beetle in this part of the country. Adult Eastern Hercules Beetles typically have green, grey, or tan elytra mottled with black spots (rare individuals lack spots).

At least it is rare
... Here is a link telling about it if anyone is interested. Click Here.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
If you find anymore, save it for me, I collect scarabs. well I do now! I'll even pay the shipping fee.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wow, thats awesome. I have never seen one like that but for some reason, it seemed familiar. Good find.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
If you find anymore, save it for me, I collect scarabs. well I do now! I'll even pay the shipping fee.

I will keep my eyes open... this is the first one I have ever seen though... However if there is one I am sure that there have to be more.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I am 90% sure it is a large "june bug". Only 4 times have I seen one particular sort of june bug in my area (Los Angeles), and this species was 2-3 times larger than normal ones (a little over an inch). I thought I had discovered a new species since I am very into insects and had never heard of it before, I was wrong however when I identified it in an insect encyclopedia.

This insect has the same wings, same sized body-segments, same head, and the same leg protrusions as on one of my rare june bugs. I believe this is your answer.

PS you could always put out large lights at night and sit and wait, you may find other ones similar to it (and when you put out the lights you can find some very interesting stuff besides june bugs).

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Sorry, if I every saw something like that, I would squash it immediately. I hate insects. Aren't there bigger beetles in Asia or Africa?

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The goliath beetle.........YIKES

www.cals.ncsu.edu:8050...

Scroll down to see it.......

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
As big as your fist-- remind me not to go to the African rain forests or wherever they said it lives. I have to say the most terrifying insects I ever encountered were flying cockroaches in Asia. How's that for horrifying?

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I have no love for bugs. For me Africa and the rain forest are no no's. I f a bug is big enough to remove your toes,don't go there. Flying cockroach's,no thank you.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Freddie

Stop being a wimp.

You have a more destructive insect at home to deal with, and I don't mean locusts.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Sorry for being a wimp about it, but there is something about flying cockroaches that is terrifying. They are bigger in Hong Kong than they are in America, too. I don't exactly follow when you say I have a more destructive insect at home? Are you trying to say I am some sort of destructive insect?

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Hehe, I'm surpirsed that TC isn't in here talking about those "good-sized" roaches that inhabit parts of Alabama, Lousiana, and Florida....them things are simply huge and then the tales from those who live in downtown New York City talking about some of those large 'critters'.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 19-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Freddie

No, I certainly have no reason to consider you a destructive insect at all. Is there any reason you have ever regarded yourself this way?

I was referring to the incumbent 'president'.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Last summer [edit] or the summer before [/edit], asian long horn beetles invaded Chicago, it was a huge story... they really need lives... but I looked 'em up and it said they can be 20-35 cm long... eeee... That's over a foot, but includes the antennas. I'm glad I live in the suburbs
oh and here's my address:

2 Allthosewhogotexcited
Ursick, Stalkers 80085

...that was kinda dumb...

[Edited on 25-7-2003 by SmileyMan34]

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Were they that big? And wasn't it two summers ago? I remember many hardwood trees being cut down and burned. The beetles came in from shipping crates from China. I also remember people painting ordinary beetles to look like Asian longhorns and then calling the media...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join