It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kelly-Hopkinsville Encounter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Thanks for reviving this thread. I have read about this encounter once before. Definitely very strange!

the police left the Sutton place at about 2:15 am. As soon as they did, the creatures made their return. They began again peeking in the windows, seemingly out of curiosity. More gunfire took place,

Hmm... is this what animals feel like when humans disturb them?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It is not my intention to 'be defensive', regarding the insults to my home area.

I'm from Florida myself, and certainly have some "redneck" blood in my, so I can hardly cast stones, hehe...

From the tone, the terms seemed more like harmless fun than true insults...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptilian_Queen

You guys got it. Hopkinsville is a classic. One of the best.
A couple details: A visiting relative had been near a UFO incident the week prior to the Hopkinsville incident.
Experts later concluded that the "Aliens" were a pair of breeding owls that somehow ended up covered with bioluminescent fungus dust.

Breeding owls can be aggressive when nesting...

Anyway, these people could definitely distinguish between an owl and ...something else that wasn't an owl.

It's as legit as any close encounter gets.!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The weird parts are how they looked in the windows, and the one doing the backflip when they shot at it. I mean, who could make this stuff up and not expect to be run out of town? I totally believe the whole story. But I am not sure I would have been so scared, maybe a little curious. They should have gotten the idea that they weren't there to harm them, but that is easy for me to say huh. Bummer that they didn't have a camera.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The one problem with many UFO researchers is they don't divulge all the information. The sheriff who investigated the case noted he smelled alcohol on the persons involved and believed it was a hoax. I am not saying the sheriff was correct, but this information is important so people can decide for themselves. I have read many accounts of this case with no mention of alcohol, and I for one am more cautious about the story knowing the persons were drunk. One of the problems with both skeptics and believers is the way in which facts are jettisoned to make the story fit the side of the person's view. We need to be objective and release all information, good and bad.

[edit on 6/27/2008 by kidflash2008]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Agreed. I have heard of the alcohol aspect. But I'm not sure that all adults were intoxicated and the kids weren't.

Also, during the "second round," I don't think they were drunk.(?)

But then, who wouldn't take a drink if one thought one saw what these folks claimed to see?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Does the homestead where the event took place still stand today?

If so, I wonder if there would be any mileage in seeking trace evidence even after all these years? I am thinking of the reports that the entities were shot at multiple times, yet appeared bulletproof or surrounded by a force field of some sort. Bullets of shotgun pellets might show some interesting traces and deformation patterns -and being lead should still be in good condition.

I am assuming the bullets or shot that hit with the entities would have fallen into the dirt, and might be easily metal-detected. I went to my old home of 40 years ago and found airgun pellets lodged where I shot as a kid -and despite being dulled by the air, the recovered pellets were otherwise pristine.

Thoughts on this guys?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I just think it should be noted for researchers. I for one would sober up pretty quickly if anything like that happened. There were a number of children who were not drunk who witnessed the incident. The problem is skeptics will find out about the sheriff's report stating the alcohol use. The skeptics then will state (well founded in this case) Hey these UFO believers didn't report about the alcohol use (of course they will ignore the children). If we state the alcohol use when reporting on this the skeptics will have less ammo.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LynUK

Actually, I believe you CAN visit the site. But I'm not sure. The info exists. The site is known and has been gone over by several noted UFologists.

Some British investigators came up with the "Owl explanation," years after the incident during an actual site visit. ( I think..)
I'll find some links here....

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
[edit on 17-6-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

It's a 45 minute documentary made in 2005 I believe.

I have never seen it, and I thought I had seen about all of them by now.

You guys are gonna LOVE this.

"Land a-goshin Lucky, yer skeerin them kids to death"

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hello there,

This case has always both baffled and intrigued me, and also of note is the fact that it was officially investigated by the Air Force as well.

It is not just anecdotal either, as damage to the house was evident when the 2 families fled to the police station and came back with 20 cops (talk about backup right?)

Even more puzzling is the fact that the creatures seemed to be impervious to their attempts to fight them off with firearms. I am a country boy from Kansas myself, and if I were to shoot any living creature at point blank range with a double barrel 12 gauge, you would be cleaning up their remains with a sponge.

All told, when the officers showed up to take the police report, they found well over 100 rounds of used shell casings and shotgun slugs. You know they had to of been scared out of their mind if they fired through the glass at them (causing even more damage).

Here is a vid about the incident. It is somewhat cheesy I admit.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6-6-2010 by supaflyrobby]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I actually did an in depth thread on this last year. I think there is some credibility here, as the family's story was corraborated by highways troopers. The people that witnessed it were also interviewed seperately and drew pictures, which were very similar, as were their description of what actually happened. The one damaging fact, was that there was absolutely no physical evidence to suggest that the incident actually occured

Link to my thread if anyones interested

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thank you kindly, and I will give it a look. This has always been a personal fav of mine in the realm of the paranormal and I find it to be somewhat surprising it does not get the attention paid to it that I feel it deserves.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
For Gods sakes- Stop the whole Kentucky is hillbilly white trash talk. Seriously- do you know how ignorant you sound?

Secondly- I live in Kentucky- in a very wealthy area- in an area where there are so many millionaires- they outnumber the poor hillbilly whitetrash.

Kentucky isnt the middle of bum#egypt and referring to Kentuckians as such really is an irritating ignorant statement.

Im not even from here- I live here because my husband got transferred here. Ive been all over the United States and guess what- white trash is everywhere!

STOP STEREOTYPING.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

I (much like you) also found the notion that all of us in the Midwest are mindless idiots to be mildly offensive as well, but I decided to let it go.

Country does not mean dumb.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by supaflyrobby]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LibBLVRdoc

I apologize for the name calling. I know better then most how hurtful, incorrect and unnecessary being called out of your or labeled can be.

I am not doubting what happened to this family but I am curious to what you think was the intended outcome.

It was obvious that shooting these creatures was futile. The creatures only taunted and made no real attempt at communication. So what do you think was the purpose of the encounter?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I guess it is easy for people such as ourselves to play Monday morning quarterback and say that the situation should have been handled in a more appropriate and diplomatic fashion.

However, in the heat of that situation when fear and adrenaline are kicking in high gear, I think it would be exceedingly difficult to not fire upon them.

I am willing to grant you that firing over 100 rounds of ammunition was needlessly excessive. Did their farm house also double as a national guard outpost?(which is BTW ridiculous. My father and I are both hunters and we do not keep that much ammo on hand) Even still, I think it is presumptuous of us to say we would of handled the situation better since we were not in the situation.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I would not call 100 rounds of ammunition over the night-time excessive. This went on for what 5-7 hours? That is only a couple of rounds every few minutes if that. I know people from AR15.com who own tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition. And besides if you are in a life and death situation or fear for your life I do not think it really matters how much ammo you fire as long as you know where and what you are shooting and what is around and behind your target.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by johnthejedi24]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by johnthejedi24

I can totally see your point, and we also have to factor in that this was 1955, so they were using bolt action rifles and either barrel loading or what is called break action shotguns, none of which are exactly the most user friendly guns to fire. My Dad has a 10 gauge double barrel shotgun that used to belong to my great uncle, and that thing is like firing a cannon. About the only way you can shoot it and expect to hit anything farther than 5 feet away(unless you are way stronger than I am) is to hip fire it. You try to shoulder fire that thing and you will have bruises that look like you just did 15 rounds with a heavyweight boxer.

What I do think would begin to dawn on them over the course of the firefight would be the fact that their weapons were not having any effect on their adversaries.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by supaflyrobby]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join