It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Scrambling (The Simpsons & The Internet)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The first and possibly only conspiracy I will propose is mental scrambling. But in the context of information overload.

Most people don't consider information overload as a conspiracy or a threat, but I'm starting to believe it is. Let me explain.

I was watching one of my oldtime favorite tv shows, The Simpsons, and I noticed something very odd about it when I evaluated it closer. The plot is very jumpy, almost psychotic. Let me give an example.

=========================================

www.snpp.com...

"When Marge sees the kitchen in the house next door and notices that her own kitchen is falling apart, she wants it redesigned; "two years (and an unsuccessful attempt by Homer which resulted in a stack of old Playdude magazines being uncovered) later," her new kitched prompts her to cook something for the church which turns out to be a big hit. Ned suggests that she enter the Ovenfresh Bake-off, which she does with a dessert that looks like hot dogs. Unfortuantely, her dessert dogs are sabotaged in the middle of the competition; however, she manages to salvage them and, finding herself all alone in the room with the other contestants' dishes, adds an extra ingredient to them - Maggie's ear drops. One small problem: Lisa saw her do it. Will Lisa convince Marge to do the right thing before the next day's bake-off finals, or will Marge - oh, who am I kidding, this is Lisa and Marge we're talking about; Marge confesses and withdraws, making Brandine the winner and the new face on the Ovenfresh logo, prompting her to run off with James Caan, at least before he succumbs to an (ahem) "accident" at a tool booth.
Meahwhile, remember those Playdude magazines? Bart and Milhouse find them (minus the nudes, which Marge cut out) and think that they can start acting like the bachelors depicted in the articles, complete with turning the treehouse into a bachelor pad (with a pre-"accident" James Caan in attendance). When the other parents tell Homer what has happened, he has the solution: explain to Bart what swinging bachelors, er, "do". "

======================

Here's another example to contrast the sporadic information overload from the same link above.

"Homer is left home to clean the garage while Marge and the kids go out for a drive. When they return, the garage door is repeatedly opening and closing on Homer; Lisa and Bart have to perform CPR to clear the spiders out of Homer's throat. Marge thinks that Homer needs life insurance just in case something happens, like, for example, Homer choking on the closed window while Marge is talking to him. However, Homer can't get insurance, so Marge starts cutting corners in order to save some money; the problem is, Marge can't save it as fast as Homer can waste it. When Marge tells Homer that she is in charge of the family finances, he takes the money she saved and makes a down-payment on an RV. Marge has finally had enough, and stops talking to him, so Homer seeks out some new friends - fellow RV owners, whom he invites to pull into his backyard. However, when Marge turns off their power, they leave, and the fighting gets worse.
Bart realizes that the problems started when Homer bought the RV, so he and Lisa try to drive it back to the dealer. When Homer discovers that the kids took the RV, he and Marge go after them. Lisa sees a "runaway truck lane" and they pull off onto it, only to discover that it isn't finished yet - and they plunge off a cliff...and onto a freighter headed for Turkey. However, Marge makes the captain a deal; turn around and let Bart and Lisa get off, and she'll give him the hundreds of cans of soup she bought on sale."

===========================

Overall if you look at the sequence of correlating events, their is a common element of completely unrelated events. If you were to make each episode a play that was acted out, it would look completely crazy and psychotic. Yet it passes entertaining as a cartoon unabated.

My concern is, behavioral modification or mental scrambling occurs when watching The Simpsons and similar television. Possibly any television. The random hoppying, jumping, from one subject to the next, back and forth, car commercial, beer commercial, fastfood commercial, insurance commercial, then back to an episode that leads up to giving hundreds of cans of soups away to get out of an already odd situation...or eyedrops in a cookoff so your dessert dogs win you a new kitchen.

The whole point I'm making is, this seen behavior may be correlating over to your life. The way you speak, the way others speak. The jumping back and forth, lack of focus, lack of progress, the mind control may be apparant if you look more closely.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by Lord Altmis]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
So how does the NWO tie into this?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
In regards to the Internet playing a factor, you can consider this. A devout Christian is surfing the web. What does he find? He finds lots of everything which is lots of nothing. He reads up on his faith and finds hundreds of variations and now is confused. The more he sits on the net, the less Christian he becomes. It's almost an absolute certainty like hanging out in bars, yet a lot less direct or forward. It's pure information control, which leads to mind control. An event broken up and explained and then acknowledged subconstiously as potentially viable.

Walls are broken down gradually. How many different sources do you need until you believe something? Most people only site one reliable source for their facts, an encyclopedia etc. The web has numerous sources that when combined can form rationalizations.

The Christian then becomes the same as everyone who sits on the net for a long time. This is also mental scrambling. Where you simply don't know what's going on anymore. Like an episode of the Simpsons. Until you lose control.

Just something to think about. Of course I'm rambling on a lot that will get heavy criticism. But I think that information overload and sporadic information overload is a form of neutralization. All one mind, confused, reading articles, seeing things, not knowing who to trust (terrorism), and you are now neutralized.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
So how does the NWO tie into this?

I think the world wide web will eventually create more like minds. Think about it, everything we read here has no real support. No real opposition.

If the NWO was true in regards to all you've read, heard, or believe. All based primarily on internet hearsay, could you really stop it? Do you really have an option?

If it's all false, just propoganda to sell books, to tell a story, or draw up controversy, then you are wasting your time.

The logical net effect, you are wasting your time. You are in the neutralized circle. So the result is, you believe this because of this and believe that because of that. Essentially the internet is writing history by what a mass majority propogates.

We will never know until it's too late. So my suggestion is, going forward, to try to pull yourself out of the hopping, jumping, sporadic, mental scrambling. Because equivically, that is the new world order.

This is just off the top of my head rambling. Getting what I can pour out at the moment on correlated ideas.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
No comments, not even negative?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I believe I remember seeing episodes that fraked me out when they mentioned "23 Skidoo" in numerous episodes...

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Altmis
If you were to make each episode a play that was acted out, it would look completely crazy and psychotic. Yet it passes entertaining as a cartoon unabated.

Yes, someone once told me something similar. And that "Ralphie" wouldn't exactly be made fun of in the same heartless manner if it was a show with real actors. But after all, it's just a cartoon, right?

One thing I would like to point out is that the type of thing you're describing may only work if it's unexamined. But by nature, watching TV is a passive activity.

This is an interesting experiment:
The Zen TV Experiment

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
I believe I remember seeing episodes that fraked me out when they mentioned "23 Skidoo" in numerous episodes...

Why would that scare you? Old people actually used to say that back in the day, and thats what the joke is about, and why mr burns and grandpa say it, but no one else does (Unless theyre imitating an old tyme person)

And the new simpsons actually do jump around to control your mind, but not in a very nefarious way. Its done so you dont realise that every single episode is recycled from the old. If you watch old episodes, theyre a lot more linear, one story going on at a time, not so much stupid insanity, etc. The new ones jump around and have 3 plots per show because each of the 3 plots is just a rehash of something done in the first 8 or so seasons, and since theyre all jammed together along with a little bit of craziness, you dont realise that youve already seen the stories before. Its actually pretty clever.

Although, there have been theories that television (Atleast "recent" television) has contributed to the rise in A.D.D., since children get used to recieving stimulation quickly through tv, the fast moving images and advertisements, and then have trouble focusing on a book or someone talking because its rather static. I think thats actually more of an unexpected side effect than a conspiracy though, because if someone were trying to control you, wouldnt it make more sense to have you sedated and easily manipulated than bored and restless all the time?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Altmis
The first and possibly only conspiracy I will propose is mental scrambling. But in the context of information overload.

Most people don't consider information overload as a conspiracy or a threat, but I'm starting to believe it is...

The whole point I'm making is, this seen behavior may be correlating over to your life. The way you speak, the way others speak. The jumping back and forth, lack of focus, lack of progress, the mind control may be apparant if you look more closely.

This is one way to disassociate or fragment a person mind in several alters or processes (from a computer point of view)...

For a person to restore his/her mind, he/she must perform some mind integrationg or mind merging technique after watching or going through some ting like this...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlanSmithee

Why would that scare you? Old people actually used to say that back in the day, and thats what the joke is about, and why mr burns and grandpa say it, but no one else does (Unless theyre imitating an old tyme person)

What, lisa and Marg to? When they say it, it is totally out of context, that is why I find it freaky..

I find it to be associated with discordianism and therefore freaked me..

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
What does that word mean?

The Simpsons have done a lot of really bizarre stuff. Lots of psychedelic mind control drug use in the show. How many acid episodes can they put together for kids, honestly.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
TV often doesn't follow the same 'linear' form as the movies. It's 'relational', which is to say that it can quickly segue into something loosely related. It follows the 'free association', or 'stream of consciousness' form. Think James Joyce's "Ulysses". It would never make a film, but you could get a interesting TV mini series out of it. Thus the true superiority of TV over movies.

new topics

top topics

join