It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best modern ATGM?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
What would you consider the best Anti-Tank guided missile? Preferably a common family for both AIFV, Helicopter and Manportable use.

I would go for Trigat. If its not cancelled...

www.army-technology.com...

Cheers for your input.

G.

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Bagoose]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Well, if you mean strictly antitank role that the best moder ATGM is definitely LOSAT. It has only kinetic energy tungsten warhead, but is highly supersonic (2000meters per sec. I think). So the impact energy is so large that no current or future tank can handle it. The tanks have also only few seconds to react. While normal ATGM takes 15-20secs to hit LOSAT can reach it's maximum range (4km) in 4-5 secs.It is not much portable though the weight is +/- 80kg. They are developing more compact version with only 28.5kg weight, that could be used also by infantry.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Lahat is the most modern antitank missile with ultra long range

lahat range from ground is 8 K.M. and from aerial source its range is amazing 13K.M.

i think no other anti tank missile is reached so far.

here is the pic of that on a Arjun tank of india

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
LOSAT all the way. The guarantee of the destruction of anytank on Earth. I wonder if a active CIWS style defense system would work against the LOSAT.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
losat is has edge over it but my choice is still the lahat s becuse it can do there work far away from any counter attack.

more losat is latest misslie with USA and they did not export their new products so losat is now only in USA .

i also heard about russian antitank super sonic missile did any body has details of it.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirza2003
losat is has edge over it but my choice is still the lahat s becuse it can do there work far away from any counter attack.
more losat is latest misslie with USA and they did not export their new products so losat is now only in USA .
i also heard about russian antitank super sonic missile did any body has details of it.

I guess, you mean Vikhr. It's just like a Helfire, but it flights faster, but it has not speed nor kinetic energy of LOSAT.

BTW Lockheed just tested and verified new more capable Helfire replacement Joint Common Misille for ground forces, helicopters and planes. It has probably the best range - 16 kilometers (10 miles) for rotary-wing and 28 kilometers (17.5 miles) for fixed-wing aircraft, while smaller and lighter than Helfire (+/-45kg). It has also excelent seeker combining IR, radar and laser guidance together.

Also they say that " it provides both shaped-charge capability, to defeat armored targets; and blast fragmentation capability, for use against buildings, bunkers, small boats, lightly armored vehicles and other soft targets". Don't know if it's the same warhead, or there are 2 types (modular construction).

link - give'em Helfire

[edit on 2-4-2005 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
LOSAT all the way, it can take out anything in one hit. Talk about destruction.

Enjoy

West Point, Out.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Too bad LOSAT can't be fired from tanks and have to be fired in integrated Humvees. LOSAT is one big mofo though. LOSAT all the way.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
Too bad LOSAT can't be fired from tanks and have to be fired in integrated Humvees. LOSAT is one big mofo though. LOSAT all the way.

It would be not difficult nor expensive to integrate it. Just add two tubes to each side of turret (like Bradley does with TOWs). Abrams already has IR and laser designator so no problem. They could be used only for long range engagements, up to 500-1000 meters the Abrams could use the 120mm gun.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The Abram’s could be modified to accommodate the LOSAT, but currently all the tanks that the Abrams has gone up against it has destroyed fine with its gun. And you could possibly maybe get 4 LOSAT's at the maximum on a Abrams, so that's only 4 tanks not that many.
If keep fighting 3rd world countries then regular Abrams are fine, any modern country then we should equip the Abrams with the LOSAT just in case.

West Point, Out.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
When it comes to fighting modern tanks, the LOSAT range doesn't seem to put it in a advantageous situation when faced with ATGM that could fire at 8Km from you (LOSAT's range is 4Km).

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
When it comes to fighting modern tanks, the LOSAT range doesn't seem to put it in a advantageous situation when faced with ATGM that could fire at 8Km from you (LOSAT's range is 4Km).

Thoselong range ATGMs are carried by helicopters, which can view more of the battlefield. Even in desert most times the visibility/line of sight is not higher than 4km due to terrain, that's the reason why most ground fired ATGMs have only relatively small range, there is no need for more.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The LOSAT itself was more of a test vehicle. The CKEM is a smaller missile being developed from the LOSAT. It will replace the TOW missile.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Thoselong range ATGMs are carried by helicopters, which can view more of the battlefield. Even in desert most times the visibility/line of sight is not higher than 4km due to terrain, that's the reason why most ground fired ATGMs have only relatively small range, there is no need for more.

sorry brother you has had read my post lahat has range of 8km from tank or from land based systam and from helicopter lahat has range of 13km.

from land it can fired but can be guided by third systam it could UAV or any other forward source on the land

so in my view lahat is futre

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
There are plenty of ant tank missiles with more rage than the LOSAT in the U.S. Army, however the LOSAT has more destruction power than them. Here are some of the next generation Kinetic Energy Anti Tank Missiles.

HATM is unique in that it is suited for light tactical vehicles requiring high firepower on a single chassis while retaining mobility and tactical relevance. The objective weapon system known as CKEM will defeat various targets, including predicted advanced armor targets out to a range of five kilometers. HATM, with a peak velocity greater than Mach 6.0, enables the user to engage four targets in 20 seconds with overwhelming kinetic energy lethality.

HATM

Specifically some of the more-aggressive CKEM system level performance requirements to be achieved are: Total Missile Length: 4 feet, Total Missile Weight: 50 lbs, Range: 0.4-5Kms with growth potential for close in engagements of 200m and extended range of 5-8Kms. Velocity: 6.5+ Mach.

CKEM

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
LOSAT probably, however it does NOT have top-attack capability, but it seems it might not need it, what is RHAe penetration on it?

Also, it was first test on the Bradley fighting vehicle.

The Israeli Spike (Gill) system is quite impressive too, they don't even know exactly what the RHAe penetration is, it seems to shatter armor.

I quite like the AT-13 Metis-M as well, a man portable missile with hi-penetration, 900 behind RHAe.

Also there are other systems like the Kornet E, penetration is up to 1200mm beyond RHAe.

Ataka-V, AT-16 is also an awesome missile, 16 of those mofo's can be crammed on a Su-39! 900mm of penetration and a 95% Single-shot hit probability is claimed.

I am not sure which is best...but they all have their merits.

[edit on 3/4/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I like the Joint common missile I don't think its the best in the way of firepower, but they can carry more on a attack helicopter so in the terms of overwelming power I think the JCM would be the best.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It is still not know if the Pentagon will keep the JCM program. They said they wanted to cancel it but there is news that it might come back.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
LOSAT probably, however it does NOT have top-attack capability, but it seems it might not need it, what is RHAe penetration on it?

LOSAT is claimed to be five times more powerfull than todays best SABOT armour piercing rounds. So I think it can go through two tanks without any problems.

[edit on 3-4-2005 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I have looked all over the web but I cannot find the Penetration capability of the LOSAT. I can find everything about the damn missile except the penetration capabilities. All I find is that it can defeat all current and future armor.

Is anyone having better luck than me? Or are they keeping this information secret?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join