It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High efficiency car discussion. *56k warning!*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
After reading TheCry's post about the new Li-Ion batteries that can be charged in a matter of minutes, I thought it would be a interesting to discuss future systems that could be implemented into cars. Things like lighting, power systems and drive systems, as well as Aux. systems like AC and navigation. Anyways here are some of my ideas based on technologies that are indevelopement or already in production:

Motive systems:

I would prefer an all electric system as opposed to HEV or regular gas/diesel so I would implement an electric motor with enough power/torque to run my car. Rasertech has an interesting motor technology. They offer a variety of motors for different applications ranging for cars to snowmobiles.

external image

Power systems:

Taking the notion of power from TheCry's post I would want my car to be Battery powered, specifically by the new Toshiba quick-charge battery. The battery has the speed to enable all electric cars to be practical, after all who wants to wait hours for there car to be ready to drive? This technology offers a solution.

Ultracapacitors offer a quick jolt of energy needed by many cars in the intial start phase. Many of these Ultracapacitors can be used thousands upon thousands of times. One company that has a good Ultracapcitor is Maxwell Technologies and their products.

Inaddition to the battery technology and ultracapcitors, I would want a integrated power system built into the shell of the car aswell, so I would go with Nanosolar or Konarka or perhaps the new solar technology that was currently created in Canada. I would have this solarcell technology coated onto the shell, hopefully without destroying it's astetic look. This solar technology could provide a trickle-down effect to keep the car running longer and provide enough power incase of an emergency.

Lighting:

High efficiency lighting is very important because without it, lights can rapidly drain a car's battery system. Therefore I propose using OLEDs and LEDs for lighting within the car and outside of it.

Inaddition to providing excellent ambient lighting, OLEDs can be used for displays in navigation systems. Universal Display offers a variety of technologies that could be applied to the lighting.

Another company that has a good lighting alternative is Innovalight... however the car still needs a point lighting source. Ledtronics provides a good point lighting source for the car.

Air-Conditioning(AC):

Airconditioning would be provided by solidstate technologies that could push air and condition it, while being very efficient at the same time. Two technologies come to mind when I think of a solution for the AC system. One of those technologies is in development by Kronos, and would supply a good airflow to the cabin. The actual heating and cooling elements could be provided by coolchips.

Coolchip's sister technology Powerchips could also provide a suitable energy source from waste heat that could accumulate.

All these technologies are close to commercial distribution and some already are. If incorporated into an automobile they could provide a viable solution to the gas industry. Gas stations could be replaced with battery charging stations for quick and easy power for the car. Ofcourse I have not looked at the cost side of these technologies, but I believe they would be much more reasonable than gas powered cars will be in a few years.

Anyways I was just brainstorming some ideas... if you have any to add I would appreciate it.

Edited large image.

[edit on 3-30-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Ofcourse the most disruptive technology would definently be a superconductor based wire... strung thoughout the vehicle, ofcourse the room temperature variety aren't on the market... yet *wink**wink**nudge**nudge*.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Solar Powered Car Battery Charger

So you park your electric vehicle all day long in a sunny parking lot, and say you had 10 of these babies, wouldn't that add a charge for your ride home? Gaining power seems like a great idea, even low tech solutions look interesting.

If you put solar panels on the roof of your EV, would that assist during driving as well as within the all day long parking at work?

It seems that Ev designers are missing some obvious points, while I like the technical items listed in earlier commentary here.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I agree electric is the way to go,I seen an electric car in japan called the Eliica that can go from 0 to 100 in 4 seconds which is really good for an electric car and i don't think it uses the new nano lithium ion battery either.
here is the link to the page to watch the movie just click video next to the Test-driving the Eliica

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
This is what I am talking about! I see many of these forthcoming technologies changing the way automobiles work, however someone has to have the courage to embrace an enviromentally friendly technology. They also have to find the pieces and assemble the puzzle, i.e. the different technologies that can play a role in designing such a vehicle.

Anyone know of materials in development that are cheap,strong and light? I know Nanotubes are in development, but I am not sure how they would work as a shell, maybe as a composite?

new topics

top topics

join