It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Website Posts How-to Guide on Attacking Commercial Aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
A website with ties to Iraqi terrorist mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has published an Arabic language article on downing commercial aircraft with shoulder-launched antiaircraft missiles and tips on thwarting security procedures in and around airports in the United States. This is currently under investigation by the FBI and police and security officials in New York are taking the threat seriously. John F. Kennedy International Airport was mentioned specifically in the article, complete with diagrams and maps.

Terrorist tells 'brothers' how to fire the weapon

NBC terrorism analyst Evan Kohlmann says it was posted five days ago on an Internet location used by Iraq's top terrorist, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.
"We've seen plenty of material on radical Islamic Web sites dealing with shooting down military aircraft in combat zones," says Kohlmann. "However, this is the first time I've ever seen the deliberate targeting of civilian aircraft leaving U.S. airports."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Few details have hit the mainstream press so far, but no doubt more will surface as the story develops. he threat is a serious one worldwide as noted by the incident where terrorists fired Soviet-era Strela antiaircraft missiles at an Israeli airliner in Mombassa, Kenya three years ago.

Related News Links
U.S. Arrests 17 in Plot to Smuggle Weapons
Shoulder-Fired Missiles Threaten Commercial Jets
Director for Trial Accused of Missile Plot

Related ATS Discussions
NEWS: U.S. Busts Arms Smuggling Ring
Man Accused Of Missile Sale Plan

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
All the more reason we should protect our borders from illegals.

Every one knows and expects that some day they are going to try and make more attacks. Their posting instructions on the internet only proves it.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think it would be easier for a terrorist to just walk into the airport, put a timed bomb on the plane, and scamper off. There's a lot of easy ways in, at least at Detroit Metro. Everytime I drive past it on I-94 I can just imagine someone getting in there (which looks as if it would be surprisingly easy to do) with some malicious intent.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Post 911, I certainly wouldn't want to dismiss or discredit any valid actionable intelligence or chatter detected that poses any potential threat against our lives,
from the article

How tough would it be to pull off an attack in the United States?

"The hardest thing for al-Qaida to do in order to carry out one of these attacks is to smuggle both the shooters and smuggle the weapons into place," says James Chow, an analyst with the Rand Corp. who has authored a study on shoulder-fired missiles.

and while the hardest lessons were learned that while travelling it is imperative to be safe through vigilant eyes & ears than truly horrified again, as more of these reports surface in upcoming days, and until all cargos are thoroughly inspected, it is also prudent to be aware of potential
plans within plans that might cast a gleam of a double-edged sword..

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I would bet you could get a pretty large group together here on the eastern end of Long Island who would say that is what happened to Flight 800. Too many witnesses who saw the same thing and they don't feel what they saw was a center tank explosion. But I always felt they would never say it was a missle because they (who are they??) feel the public would panic at the thought that we are that vulnerable.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
but still some braindead leftist a'holes keep on wining that there are muslims in gitmo,still the same a'holes keep on wining about 'human rights' for them,still those same a'holes again complain when the us torture prisoners in iraq...
maybe it's time fema opens up its camps for muslims and above mentioned a'holes.if i come across rude,no sorry...it's about time we seriously limit the movements of the muslims or otherwise we gonna be exterminated.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by magnetar]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
I would bet you could get a pretty large group together here on the eastern end of Long Island who would say that is what happened to Flight 800.

Isn't that the one where first reports were that a missile had hit the plane and then it was hushed up and nobody heard anymore after?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
I think it would be easier for a terrorist to just walk into the airport, put a timed bomb on the plane, and scamper off. There's a lot of easy ways in, at least at Detroit Metro. Everytime I drive past it on I-94 I can just imagine someone getting in there (which looks as if it would be surprisingly easy to do) with some malicious intent.

Obviously you are not aware that airport employees pass through metal detectors on their way to work. huh?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Obviously you are not aware that airport employees pass through metal detectors on their way to work. huh?

Actually, you would bypass nearly all of the security measures. Along the freeway there's a wall, about 4 feet high. Very easy to climb over. Someone could have some faked personelle clothing, stop thier car along the freeway (fake a flat tire or something), hop this wall when not many cars are going by, and they're in. Oh look, no metal detectors involved.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by magnetar
but still some braindead leftist a'holes keep on wining that there are muslims in gitmo,still the same a'holes keep on wining about 'human rights' for them,still those same a'holes again complain when the us torture prisoners in iraq...
maybe it's time fema opens up its camps for muslims and above mentioned a'holes.if i come across rude,no sorry...it's about time we seriously limit the movements of the muslims or otherwise we gonna be exterminated.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by magnetar]

nono, it would be a really bad move, it would be like in WWII when we to that to the japanese, it is the worst mistakes we will make, not all muslims still give a crap about allah, only few here in the us.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Actually, you would bypass nearly all of the security measures. Along the freeway there's a wall, about 4 feet high. Very easy to climb over. Someone could have some faked personelle clothing, stop thier car along the freeway (fake a flat tire or something), hop this wall when not many cars are going by, and they're in. Oh look, no metal detectors involved.

Tell you what if you are so sure it will work, why not try it then get back to us when you get out, OK?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Uh yeah. Alot of good metal detectors do? What a joke.

last time I checked, on the morning of September 11, 2001, 19 soon to be hijackers all passed through metal detectors.

Oh, and metal detectors aint gonna do a whole hell of alot of good if youre carrying plastic explosives. Not ever weapon of mass destruction uses metalic parts.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Tell you what if you are so sure it will work, why not try it then get back to us when you get out, OK?

It's not something to laugh about, because it WOULD be that easy. There's other ways too, but that would be the simplest and probably least likely to get caught.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

It's not something to laugh about, because it WOULD be that easy. There's other ways too, but that would be the simplest and probably least likely to get caught.

Oh I realize it is nothing to laugh about. I was simply trying to point out that it is not as easy as you think.

Everyone that has flight line access or any place beyond security check points now have to wear badges identifying them as employees that includes bartenders, food servers along with pilots, maintenance personnel etc. Your original statement was they could just fake a uniform and that as you can see is wrong.

There are also some other measures that some airlines have in place to prevent just what you think is so easy. How do I know you ask, because 8 members of my family work at an airport, that’s how.

I even worked at an airport part time, after I retired but, was layed off do to airline cut backs. I know what some of those measures are however airlines do not want the general public to know what those measures are.

Also keep in mind you have additional security patrols patroling the very areas at random times to prevent what you are talking about.

Just to make myself clear I am not saying it is impossible, all I am saying it is no longer as easy as just jumping over a fence/wall with just a fake uniform.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
No, I know it wouldn't be that easy but at a distance or at night it would work for something quick.

As for experience, I know how it goes too. I work in close contact with the Detroit FSDO.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

Originally posted by justme1640
I would bet you could get a pretty large group together here on the eastern end of Long Island who would say that is what happened to Flight 800.

Isn't that the one where first reports were that a missile had hit the plane and then it was hushed up and nobody heard anymore after?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you-- but yes that is the one -- the official word is that the center tank exploded due to a short in wiring and fumes. But I think very few people out here believe that to be the case.

top topics

join