It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: States Take Up Photo IDs at Polls Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Proposals that would require photo identification at polls has touched off debates in three states. Legislators in Georgia have boycotted thier jobs in protest and the Governor of Wisconsin has vetoed a bill already. Supporters of the law state that it would help restore confidence in the system and eliminate potential fraud. Opponents say it will deprive the poor, elderly, and minorities the right to vote.

story.news.yahoo.com
INDIANAPOLIS - Legislation that would require voters to show photo identification before casting ballots has touched off fierce debate in three states, with opponents complaining the measures represent a return to the days of poll taxes and Jim Crow.

Lawmakers in Georgia and Indiana walked off the job to protest the proposals, which they say would deprive the poor, the elderly and minorities of the right to vote. Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat, has already vetoed a similar measure and has vowed to do so again.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not sure why there would be opposition to vote. When you go to a bank you have to show identification. Most states have the "motor voter" system at thier respective Department of Motor Vehicles. Minorities still have to drive by and large or at least have some sort of official ID's. Yes illegal immigrant's would not be allowed to vote but they are not supposed to be doing so anyway. With all the cries of voter fraud this is one way to eliminate this. One ID one vote.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The driver's license has become more than what it is supposed to be. It is supposed to be a license to drive--not a form of government sanctioned ID.

There are several issues with using a drivers license to vote, and a big one is that the DMV charges a fee to obtain licenses and non-drivers IDs. If these cards are required to vote, in essence, it is a requirement to pay a fee to vote--and that is a poll tax and a violation of the 24th Amendment.

Another problem with using a driver's license for voting is the entity that issues driver's licenses--your state's Department of Motor Vehicles, has a main priority of issuing licenses to drive--and I don't know if you have noticed, they sometimes don't even do that very well. Many DMVs are using antiquated computer systems and seem to be staffed by mental patients. But the issue here is that there are times in almost everyone's life, due to no fault of their own, when they walk around without a valid ID/driver's license. If that time happens to be during election or primary time, you are disenfranchised.

Because of the fact that the DMV is optimized for driver's licenses, in many places, like my state-- New York--people who have non-driver's ID cards (people who can't drive for medical reasons, senior citizens, non-drivers, etc..), people with different classes of licenses (cabbies, truck-drivers), people with outstanding tickets/violations, and people who have to retake their eye eyam/pictures, etc. have to appear in person at the DMV so your identification can be verified in person. This makes no sense because driver's licenses can be renewed in the mail--but this is DMV logic. You can only do this 29 days prior to the expiration of your ID--and it takes up to 8 weeks to get your new one. You don't have to know DMV math to figure out that you can be without an ID for as long as four weeks--and it can be longer if you don't rush in to the DMV on the first day that you are eligible to renew.

For people like me, as my birthday/ID expiration frequently falls on or just before election day, this means that once every 6 years, I will most likely be disenfranchised (I wouldn't have been able to vote this year). I am not the only one either--thousands of people will be affected, even at different times of the year when primaries and special elections are held.

I am not opposed to using a form of photo ID, but it is unfair to use a driver's license when there are major problems with it.

Why not issue voter registration cards with pictures and signatures--and have an identical picture and signature on file at the polling place? Isn't the point to prove that the person voting is the person who registered? Why does it make a difference if the ID is state issued or not?

And who is kidding who here? The voter confidence issue isn't mainly in people voting more than once---it is in the election officials ability to count. Until the election process is truly investigated in a transparent manner, voter confidence will never be restored...

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
If you could get your free picture ID voting card on your 18th birthday, or when you legally enter the country, id be for needing photo ID to cast a ballot. If you need to have a peice of photo ID that youre forced to obtain yourself (Drivers licence, etc), i can not be for this. My mother didnt get a drivers licence until she was 26, she should have not been allowed to vote for those 8 years? I definately dont think so.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
The driver's license has become more than what it is supposed to be. It is supposed to be a license to drive--not a form of government sanctioned ID.

Maybe so, but it is accepted as a legitimate form of identification almost everywhere and issuing say passports would be pretty costly.

Also, any idea how a national identity card would go over

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Maybe so, but it is accepted as a legitimate form of identification almost everywhere and issuing say passports would be pretty costly.

Also, any idea how a national identity card would go over

Like a lead balloon. Multi-purpose id/database systems aren't a good idea....

The purpose here is to ensure that people don't vote more than once. There are many ways that can be done--but it is problematic to requiring an ID that a) would effectively require people to pay to vote and b) would guarantee that some registered voters would be disenfranchised due to the inability of the state to furnish valid IDs in accordance with election schedules.

This invites fraud in so many ways because you will have to introduce a whole host of exceptions to deal with people who will be disenfranchised due to the fault of the state. Example--Let's say they allow people to use licenses that have expired in the two months prior to election day--this would have to be effectively communicated, which seems to be impossible for any government enterprise, and you could have rules selectively enforced for one political party over the others, as was alledged in some areas for provisional ballots.

I think that the voter identification process should be handled within the election system. One way it could be managed is by incorporating it within voter registration. Everyone would be issued a new voter registration card (for free) with their picture on it and a bar code. You would present this card when you vote, and the election official would check the picture to make sure that you were the person on the card and scan the card to log your attendance.

If you happened to forget your voter registration card, you could use another form of state ID as a backup, as long as the name, address, and picture matched what was in the voter registration system.

That would ensure that everyone who is registered to vote would have an ID and prevent people from voting more than once.

new topics

top topics

join