It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite free music site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I want to see people's favorite free music available here on the Interweb. I'll start the list off. Please don't link to anything for downloading illegally. All the stuff that I link to is either under a license that promotes free distribution (cf. Creative Commons) and exchange of music, or the site has distribution rights to distribute music submitted to them freely to any who visit, or it's simply under public domain.

8 Bit Peoples - mostly synth'ed on old NESes! Some of it is simply phenomenal. There are some great 80s music renditions.

OverClocked ReMix - awesome fan music of video game music. Your favorite is probably somewhere in there.

The Cow Exchange - ok, so this is actually a shameless plug for some music by a really good friend of mine, but there's a lot of really good music there, and I'm always honest with him about whether or not I like a piece he's created.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Believe it or not Amazon.com has a decont amount of free downloads for newer bands.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
blubster.com is very good!!

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Music is an industry....Not a charity....buy your music thief!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Uforia_
Music is an industry....Not a charity....buy your music thief!!!!!!!!

I do, but I'm poor. I'm not stealing any music. I also happen to make donations to all the artists that I like. Can you say the same?

Realize that there are a lot of people out there who have regular day jobs, and make music in their spare time. They don't have the time or the motivation to worry about the details of selling their music, but they still want to be heard. I linked to one of my friends websites above, and he makes tons more money off his day job than he ever would off his music.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

he makes tons more money off his day job than he ever would off his music.

hmmmm....well maybe thats because too many people are stealing the music rather than paying for it.....or maybe its a talent thing....

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

hmmmm....well maybe thats because too many people are stealing the music rather than paying for it.....or maybe its a talent thing....

If you checked the mans site youd see that his music is released under a version of the Creative Commons License. Which allows for free distribution. So obviously he isnt into making money off his music, or else itd be copyrighted.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Perhaps, but he's not the type of person that would go for a big record deal anyway.

Go look on cdbaby.com. There's tons of incredible music there, and most of the money you spend there goes directly to the artists, not to some label. The musicians who sell their music there are genuine, and most write and produce their own music with great care. Many of them would refuse big record company contracts as well because they're highly suspicious of big record companies, and I don't blame them.

There are a lot of people like that out there, and they simply want to share their music. There's no reason to be judgmental of those of us who listen to it. As I said before, I don't pirate music.

I refuse to listen to most mainstream music anyway. 95% of it all is manufactured and completely lacking in originality. If there is something that I do like a lot, then I'll buy it, but that rarely ever happens.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

If you checked the mans site youd see that his music is released under a version of the Creative Commons License. Which allows for free distribution. So obviously he isnt into making money off his music, or else itd be copyrighted.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by dreamlandmafia]
Yes, you're completely right about this. I failed to mention this in my post, but that's an important detail.

Music is more of a hobby for him, but he's quite good at it. He doesn't have the best equipment in the world, but he does what he can with what he's got, and, IMHO, I think it still sounds really good. The equipment he does have is better than most, and is definitely not cheap, but he's dedicated.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Uforia:

Music is abstract.
If you want to make money with it you need to preform it for a fee (for most of human history this was the case)
Once it is recorded, one has WILLINGLY made there music reproducable, not very smart. This was not a big "problem" when the average person couldn't reproduce material with the same quality,but now you can dupe digital with no noticable lose of quality, bad news for the greedy music industry.The way to stop it is to not record your music unless you understand this and want it to happen. Music should be recorded only by those who wish to advertise their preformance so people will come to see them. then they will be paid FOR ACTUALLY WORKING. If the GREEDY MUSIC INDUSTRY wants to solve the problem they should lower the price of recorded material to a level that is what the market will bear(its called capitalism), instaed of crying about something they are doing to themselves.:shk:

My original quote on this matter: "Bands that don't like Napster should not record their music"

new topics

top topics

join