It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Today in Global History we watched a movie on the mayans. They were very intelligent people indeed.

Does anyone know about that Mercenary guy that destroyed all but 4 of the books of the Mayans because he didn't like their act of Human Sacrifice and he tried to destroy history. What a dumbass

I think if he didn't destroy the books, we would know much more about 2012

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Why don't you tell us more about what you learned in class?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Search on ats is a good thing.

Anyway, heres to your lot.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Why don't you tell us more about what you learned in class?

I was sleeping

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The Mayans (who are still around today) simply would have reached the end of their calendar and started a new one. They have no particular legends of an apocalypse coming in 2012. That's a modern concept. The people are mostly Christian now, but in the areas where parts of the old religion are still practiced, they do not expect any world-ending event in 2012.

Here's a pretty good review of their history, from the time they entered the Americas as part of the First People:
www.crystalinks.com...

A very good resource for students is here:
www.historylink101.com...

It also includes some links to archaeological dig reports, "archaeoastronomy" (fascinating stuff), writing, calendar, daily life, and so forth)

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

as posted by Ken_Allen
Does anyone know about that Mercenary guy that destroyed all but 4 of the books of the Mayans...

This might help:

1562 - the famous Diego de Landa, Franciscan provincial, and afterwards bishop (1573-79), becoming aware that the natives throughout the peninsula still secretly cherished their ancient rites, instituted an investigation, which he conducted with such cruelties of torture and death that the proceedings were stopped by order of Bishop Toral Franciscan provincial of Mexico, immediately upon his arrival, during the same summer, to occupy the See of M鲩da.

Before this could be done, however, there had been destroyed, as is asserted, two million sacred images and hundreds of hieroglyphic manuscripts - practically the whole of the voluminous native Mayans literature.

MAYAN HISTORY

This:
From Eduardo Galeano's Memory of Fire: I. Genesis:1562: Mani :The Fire Blunders

And this:
Fray Diego de Landa

Opps, drats, Bryd bet me to it.

seekerof

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The mayans were very powerful people. I have always found them amazing for a number of reasons...

I am lucky enough to have a house in Belize, in central america. Because of this i go there a lot, and have been to, and on, many mayan ruins, and i have seen many artifacts and what not. Its amazing how the energy and the vibes from these people remain on their land even after thousands of years.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
They have no particular legends of an apocalypse coming in 2012. That's a modern concept. The people are mostly Christian now, but in the areas where parts of the old religion are still practiced, they do not expect any world-ending event in 2012.[edit on 2-4-2005 by Byrd]

In the video it said they're waiting for what happens in 2012.

new topics

top topics

join