It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V-22 status?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It's still a bit sketchy, alternatives have been sought but with any good competiton?

Competion consists of the Merlin, a british helicopter and the S-92 Helibus.

So what is the status of this program? will it be fielded? or will it be canceled along with the RAH-66?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Its entering operational testing. As of right now, it doesn't look like it is going to be canceled.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I was just reading an article on the U.S. Navy's Osprey website. They state that final operational testing has begun, so the program looks alive & well.

navair.navy.mil
Los Angeles Times
March 29, 2005
By Associated Press

The tests, scheduled through the end of June, will help determine whether the Osprey is ready for full production.

The Marine Corps has ordered 360 Ospreys, the Navy 48 and the Air Force 50 for special operations.

Testing conditions will include high altitudes, extreme temperatures and desert conditions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The final tests began this Mondey, they will decide wheter it will go into the full production or it will be cancelled.
And Merlin and Helibus are not real competitors, noone can match Osprey capabilities.
The only other todays option is compoud tail rotor from Piasecki (the CH-60 tail is replaced by some kind of ring) and it has only sufficient range, Osprey is still faster. It is much cheaper though, only new rear rotor and wings.

BTW there is a LONG thread on military.com - Osprey advantages and disadvantages, the Osprey testpilot has a lot of posts there too.

milcom Osprey thread

upgraded ring tail rotor CH-60

l

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Folks,

I love the concept of the Osprey, its a great item, some thing that people from world war 2 have been trying to create a transport that can land and take off vertically and then speed off like an aircraft.

I love the concept, but at the minute I feel like I need to hold back judgement on the craft untill it enters the fleet with the Jarheads, if is doing to break, they will break it, thats fact. I don't know, I have been told that they have fixed the VRS problem as best they could, with training, fleet craft limits and new warnings, but I don't know I will reserve judgement untill the Jarheads have played with them for a while.

Oh did you know that the Royal Navy are thinking of using the Osprey, in a similar fashion as with the American Hawkeye. The other option is a converted merlin, in a similar way that they are using seakings at the moment, I think that the Osprey would be better for that work than a helicopter.

- Phil

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk

Oh did you know that the Royal Navy are thinking of using the Osprey, in a similar fashion as with the American Hawkeye. The other option is a converted merlin, in a similar way that they are using seakings at the moment, I think that the Osprey would be better for that work than a helicopter.

And where they want to put the radar dish? Osprey is tiltrotor so I wonder if the big dish is not problem for blades when transforming.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by gooseuk

And where they want to put the radar dish? Osprey is tiltrotor so I wonder if the big dish is not problem for blades when transforming.

the osprey can fold it's wings.

it's folding

finish folding

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
the osprey can fold it's wings.

Eh, I meant when the rotors are tilting from helo mode to plane mode. Those large rotor blades can hit the radar dish during the proces.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by longbow]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
From the pictures I have seen, it isn't a conventual radar dome, its a triangle in nature and rather close to the fuselage of the aircraft, so I suppose with that design it wouldn't be a factor.

navy-matters.beedall.com...

Hope that helps

- Philip

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Say, that's rather neat!

Kinda reminds me of this:

The CSA (Common Support Aircraft)

Sexy isn't it?

Heh, kinda funny the artist rendition is completely lacking air intakes or any other form of propulsion, but it's still a good looking design.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Some great Osprey pics I found:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
Say, that's rather neat!

Kinda reminds me of this:

The CSA (Common Support Aircraft)

Sexy isn't it?

Heh, kinda funny the artist rendition is completely lacking air intakes or any other form of propulsion, but it's still a good looking design.

The tail looks like its taken right oout of star trek!! (Nebula class vessel)

Anyways the V-22 blades look too big and intimidating..
Anything on similar note, that has the elevation rotor comparatively smaller and confined to a circular enclosure..
A bit like the JSF F-35 elevation fan

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
LoL that's the radar dish Daedalus, like the AWACS.

top topics

join