It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran opens secret nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Iranian President Mohammad Khatami has allowed journalists to accompany him on his first official visit to the Natanz nuclear facility.
This site, based about 150 miles from Tehran has been kept a secret, until it was revealed by an Iranian exile group in 2002.
Tehran has said its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes , but the journalists who were allowed to visit, spotted anti-aircraft placements on the route to the nuclear site.

news.bbc.co.uk
The site holds uranium enrichment facilities which, the US says, could be aimed at producing nuclear weapons.

They were taken deep inside a building to a vast empty hall designed to house 50,000 enrichment centrifuges, a Reuters news agency report said.

The enrichment facility was built more than 18m (54ft) below ground because of "security problems", Iranian officials were quoted as saying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think its strange that inspectors have only just been allowed to look around the site after three years. Who has been watching this site being developed? And why has it only suddenly come to light since the US said it was looking to target Iran's nuclear facilities?
The fact that it is surrounded by anti aircraft placements must be some cause for concern. What exactly are they protecting other than nuclear processes for peaceful means?

Related News Links:
today.reuters.com

[edit on 03/12/04 by Bikereddie]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

The fact that it is surrounded by anti aircraft placements must be some cause for concern. What exactly are they protecting other than nuclear processes for peaceful means?

Sorry to say, but if someone is constantly treatening to blow up any and all nuclear facilities you have, I'd put more then just some anti aircraft defences around it.

You know what hell would be unleashed if someone were to blow up a nuclear power plant? A nuclear research facility? A medical research facility?

And remember, a nuclear disaster of any kind is something you'll remember for decades if not centuries. Hasn't Chernobil taught anything to anyone?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Here in the Uk we have nuclear power plants, Im not sure if there are any ''armed protection'' in place. I sincerely doubt, even at this point of World unrest.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Gunna have to "bump'' this one.

Seems pretty strange to me that is allowed to happen unnoticed for all theses years.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
What i would like to know is, what exactly are they trying to hide?

No where i know of has armourments surrounding nucklear bases. 3 years seems a long time to become relevant in the World media too.

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Sykojo]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
They are not trying to hide anything.

I would say, considering the threats from the US and Israel of military action against Iran's nuclear power facilities, a few AA batteries are a minimal response. The reason "other" countries do not have defences in place around their nuclear power facilities is because no country is threatening to attack said plants.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
No one puts up missile defense systems around something that is innocent, unless it is decoy site.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
my sentiments exactly.

Nuclear power for peaceful means? Come on. They gotta be hiding something after all these years.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Can we have international inspectors in Area 51 please? I mean what are you trying to hide?

Also with reference to nuclear plants in the UK. I live about 30 miles from Sellafield nuclear powerplant and there are fighter jets based in Scotland that can reach the area in under 15 minutes. Its protected, dont you worry.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Can we have international inspectors in Area 51 please? I mean what are you trying to hide?

Also with reference to nuclear plants in the UK. I live about 30 miles from Sellafield nuclear powerplant and there are fighter jets based in Scotland that can reach the area in under 15 minutes. Its protected, dont you worry.

OK, they can be there in 15 Min's. Sellafield doesn't have anti aircraft placements around it though.
Different kettle of fish you might say.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Any kind of attack on Sellafield that would require AA protection would be either a) hijacked civilian airliner or b) hostile military jet

a) would take more than 15 minutes to reach Sellafiled as the nearest airports are Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle thus giving ample time to scramble the fighter jets.

b) would take over half an hour to reach Sellafield assuming the French decide to attack us also giving the jets ample time to intercept. Assuming our other air defenses and fighters in the south of the country dont get them first.

Also the lack of acknowledgement that there are no AA emplacements around our nuclear sites isnt to say they are not there.

[edit on 30/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Watch what happens the second another nation threatens to bomb a US nuclear power plants to kindom come. All hell will break lose.

Phae

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Exactly my point subs.

Does Sellafield have any AA in place?
Doubt we would get to know if they had.
Still, it seems comforting to know that we may have them there.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Tehran is just trying to rub it in. I don't think it will be long before someone takes a major stab at taking some of their Nuke. plants out. I look for Isreal to go in soon as they can acheive the tactital advantage and it might have to be undertaken in the cover of dark.
The AA batteries located nearby could indeed be put there for decoy reasons, but then again, it could be for the real thing. Sometime soon I feel someone is going to call Tehrans bluff and then we will see where the real strength lies.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I fail to see the link between Iran having AA batteries around the plant and therefore it is making the bomb.

A lot of countries would have some form of AA defense around nuclear power plants, whether it be jets or missiles.

Sep

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If Bin Ladin taday came on TV and annouunced that he was going to hit a certain nuclear plant in the US, using planes, I think the US government would take precautions. Its no diffrent with Iran. A part of it is being threatened so it will protect that part

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
I fail to see the link between Iran having AA batteries around the plant and therefore it is making the bomb.

A lot of countries would have some form of AA defense around nuclear power plants, whether it be jets or missiles.

I don't think anyone is directly trying to make a link here, but you have to admit that the fact it was kept secret until 3 years ago seems suspicious to say the least.

I suppose any country would put up armaments to protect its plants. The fact still remains that it takes a while to put these in place.
I still think there is more to it than we are lead to believe.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a fundamentalist government using nuclear power only for civilian purposes?? waaaahahahhaaaaaaaa....sure and JFK still walks around

heheheheheeeee...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
No one puts up missile defense systems around something that is innocent, unless it is decoy site.

After all the American and Israeli saber rattling where are the SAMs?

I pity all of us should this plant be bombed. Iraq will look like a cake-walk.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I don't understand this whole thread. We've known about the Natanz facility since they started building it. It's not even complete yet (centerfuges aren't installed at least) and the US and Israel have made clear threats to destroy all of Iran's nuclear facilities.

So, why wouldn't they have defenses around it? The only 'news' in this story is the Iranian President making his first official visit, I don't know why people are trying to read more into it.

new topics

top topics

join