It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Feathermen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
A shadowy British organisation, set up to track down those that murder ex british Secret Service and Special Forces servicemen. The brief details available about this organisation are best outlayed in a book by Sir Ranulph Fiennes, entitled - The Feathermen.

What are peoples opinions on this - a work of fact or fiction?

If you believe it to be fact - do you have any more info above and beyond whats already outlined in Fiennes book?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
never heard of it,
do you mind share more light on this?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I tried looking around for information on this, but all I found was where to buy the book
. Seems like its just fiction, because even if it is secret, I'd imagine that there would be something about them out there beyond a single book

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
feathermen is to do with a real set of events after a son of a rich sheik i believe,was killed by mercenarys or ex sas something like that and a revenge deathsquad was sent over to england.one of the ex sas was assainated in a lay by not far from warminster,its a very similar set up to what mossad did over the munich killings

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Its FACT, because far to much of it matches real life facts. The Welsh Guards Captain was in Berlin in 1979, serving with 3 Company Welsh Guards and kept disappearing. The best fact is that Maor General Arthur Denario the old Commandant of the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst was Keally's best friend whilst serving together in the SAS and in fact tried to save him on the hills in Brecon when he died. Whilst Keally was on his death bed Denario promised to look after Keallys wife and child for him. He did this alright the dirty old dog by marrying Keally's wife and adopted his daughter. Who is now a commissioned British Army Officer herself having passed out of Sandhurst around 2001. I know because I was an instructor there at the time both Arthur was the Commandant there and Keallys daughter was a Cadet. I gathered if you've got this far into the depths of THE FEATHER MEN you just as well have something juicey for your efforts.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
It has been quite some time since I read The Feathermen and I thought at the time that it was a very good book. However there was something about it that just didn't ring true. The section of the book dealing with the death of Maj Mike Kealy of the SAS on the Brecon beacons seemed too far fetched. As I said it has been some time since I read the book so my memory may be faulty, but as I recall, the assassin managed to get into the SAS base at Hereford, get amongst the candidates on a selection course, sneak onto a truck and fool the SAS staff running the course that he was a candidate. The staff are highly professional soldiers and on the selection course they are watching the potential SAS troopers every moment that they are awake. They would be checked onto and off the trucks transporting them and are under constant scrutiny. I find it ludicrous that anyone could "sneak" onto a course and remain unnoticed by every single member of the selection course staff. Perhaps this was poetic licence by the author but for me it pushed ny suspension of disbelief too far. nireply to post by THE CROPDUSTER

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The book tells of a secret group, created to protect former members of UK special forces and their persuance of a "hit squad" known as the Clinic. The Clinic were tasked with avenging the deaths of four sons of an Omani tribal leader who had been killed during combat with the Sultans Armed Forces in separate incidents. The persons held responsible for the deaths of the four sons were members of Her Majestey's Armed Forces attached to SAF and one by one, The Clinic sought them out and killed them, each time leaving no trace of foul play. The fourth kill, or attempt is where it comes to a head.
It is a fantastic story and there is plenty of speculation as to whether it is a true story or not. Certainly, the ex servicemen died but whether it was due to foul play is not certain. Read the account and make your mind up, if you can. Whatever, it is a very very good read. Try a google search and have a look at some of the military forums. Certain people in the know post some very interesting views.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Conspirator

I think the fact that he makes no reference to it at all in his autobiography is very telling. He is a man who, for many years, needed to raise funds and writing a book like that would have been very helpful in filling the coffers.
If it is fiction then questions must be raised about him as a man, because it would mean he wrote about the deaths of his former friends and colleagues knowing he was making it up, and the distress it would cause their families and friends no doubt would be substantial.

It could of course all be true, but I suspect it isn't.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have read the book. At the time I read it, I believed that the story it told was true. It is very interesting. The organisation was formed after deaths of retired SAS personnel started to exceed statistical norms. It took them a while to figure out what was happening. It was related to action in Yemen or Oman, where some big shot's son was killed. Down there clan warfare and revenge, honour killings are a way of life . . . er, death.

I might still have the book in my room here hidden somewhere within my labyrinthine printed holdings. I will check.

I enjoyed the book but would have preferred that someone like Len Deighton told the story, rather than the author.

Edit: Can't find the book. I must have traded the paperback in at some point or given it to someone.

In the story the killings of the ex-SAS guys were made to look like accidents of one kind or another. A top professional hit man was hired by the Yemeni/Omani big shot to do the honour killings. I think one of the hits involved rigging someone's car so that a driver in a following car could take electronic control of it and run it off the road.

It took 14 years to resolve the issue.

I'm pretty demanding about books like this. I would have graded it a B or B+. The story could have been told more skilfully, as Deighton would have done.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
More on the Feathermen.

One of the heroes of the Battle of Mirbat is alleged to have been one of the victims mentioned in The Feathermen. Here is a link to an article on the Battle of Mirbat, which took place in Oman, in which nine SAS soldiers stood off wave after wave of Omani rebels before being rescued by the Omani Airforce.

en.wikipedia.org...

The 25-pounder gun, now known as the "Mirbat gun" which was used by Fijian, Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba during the siege is now housed in the Firepower museum of the Royal Artillery at the former Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Sgt Labalaba was killed in action. He displayed notable bravery by continuing to fire the 25-pounder (which normally required a crew of four to six men) although seriously wounded. Labalaba's actions helped to keep the insurgents pinned down until a relief force arrived. Labalaba was awarded a posthumous Mention in Dispatches for his actions in the Battle of Mirbat, although some of his former comrades have campaigned for him to be awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross.[1]

Here is an article on Sir Ranulph Fiennes, the author of The Feathermen, who was both a member of the SAS and after leaving the army, took a military position with the Sultan of Oman.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 22-1-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thought I might try to resurrect this thread to see if anyone has copies of the images of this book, which was in the paper back version published in 1992 by Signet.

Specifically...

"the block diagram of the modification of the BMW car brake system to incorporate remote radio control"

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The movie all about it is out, entitled: Killers Elite

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The Conspirator

I have this book in hard back form and have so since its release. I also have books on the sas involvement in Oman and especially Mirbat as well as many others about the middle east incursions. As for specific details in the book its been a while since i read it so would have to re read before i could be sure.

As a point of note Ex British servicemen sometimes do go and join the Sultans army when their time for whatever reason finishes with the British Army. I myself was thinking of joining when i left but other things took me in a different direction.

Not to tickle the hornets nest but i have heard whispers of a select group of individuals that do operate similar to the feathermen as mentioned.

new topics

top topics

join