It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Christians Insane

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

Originally posted by BobDylan

if you Faith and are truely convinced that the Bible is the word of God and the absolute gospel then none of it is wrong....

This actually a good way to phrase the christian life. God gets ahold of us and creates a distinction. He says look around at the world and see what's going on. Then when you read the Bible you are called to view the invisible things of God. We are shown the temporary world that now "is" and we are also made aware of the invisible world that will one day appear. We must wait for this new universe with faith and belief and trust.

Why does he only 'get ahold' of some? Why do so many choose other faiths? Is God not on their side? Are they just not quite as 'spiritually aware' as Christians? I cannot fathom a God that would pick any one faith over another, but thats just me.
I don't feel Christians are insane at all. I do not understand how they can discount billions of sincere people of other faiths, though.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I don't think it is about discounting people.
Here maybe watching this video will point out something.

www.jesusfactorfiction.com...

Christianity does not believe in relative truth, there can only be one truth.
This doesn't mean people who did not find truth yet are worth less, neither does it means that death is a deadline before which a human has to find God, as the bible doesn't suggest such things.

It just means that people who have not found God yet, have not found truth yet, in the eyes of a christian.
Arrogant? Not really. If you would believe in a God that you talk to every day, that you experience through your life and that does miracles in your life, it's not that weird that you will see everything and everyone in the light of your "absolute truth", which is God.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

You have demonstrated exactly why Chritianity is in decline all over the globe due to it's unwillingness to adapt and it's need to cling on to archaic and outdated ideas that intelligent people in the modern world will no longer accept as fact

This is the most asinine argument I've read in this entire thread. Christianity should adapt? O sure, murder and adultery is getting popular these days, let's take that part out of the Bible"
What you seem to not understand is that Christianity has the same message that it always has and can not change or else it wouldn't be what it was.

And what is so wrong with Christianity that people seem to dislike so much? We believe in living by these terrible rules archaic rules that are so outdated:

Don't kill
Don't lie
Don't steal
Don't cheat on your wife
Listen to your parents
Don't covet your neighbors stuff

Then we have those really, really, nasty laws

Don't worship other gods
Don't worship man-made objects
Don't swear using God's name
Take off one day a week and rest

Man! How do people put up with this stuff? On top of all this, in comes Jesus with even more terrible recommendations.

Love your enemies
Pray for those who mistreat you
Forgive all wrongs against you
Be humble, meek, don't seek attention

Honestly these all sound like good ideas to live by. The truth of the matter is that none of these are reasons for Christianity to be disliked. If that was it then it would be the most popular religion in the world. The problem comes down to this point. According to the words of Jesus, no one is worthy to enter Heaven, and must rely on Him, and accept him as being God's son to receive eternal life. Should we bend His words to become more acceptable? Should we say that you can do what you want or pray to anyone you want and still enter Heaven? If we did this then it would no longer be Christianity but would instead be "?ianity". How can we take Christ or his message out of Christianity and still have the same message?

What you are implying is that there is no god or at least that "All paths lead to heaven", and this is the wall that you are running into. If Christ was correct, then you have missed the goal and are way off course. If Christ was correct, then you have failed and will someday be judged for your actions. You will be accountable for not believing him. You choose not to believe for whatever reason, and in doing so you must demonize Christianity to prove to yourself that you are correct. What we are seeing here is nothing less than an attempt for you to feel better about your decisions.

If you don't believe then I have nothing against you. No hard feelings, but don't demonize our religion in saying that it must change, and it is off target. You my friend have missed the target and must go further out of the way to avoid realizing that you have.

Are Christians Insane?
What about the people who believe it is a religion of crazy people and still go out of their way to disprove it.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by savannah]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by savannah

You have demonstrated exactly why Chritianity is in decline all over the globe due to it's unwillingness to adapt and it's need to cling on to archaic and outdated ideas that intelligent people in the modern world will no longer accept as fact

And what is so wrong with Christianity that people seem to dislike so much? We believe in living by these terrible rules archaic rules that are so outdated:

Don't kill - unless they are from a different faith: See Crusades

Don't lie - unless your lying to people to cover your own back : See Nazi Party

Don't steal - Unless your are stealing booty from conquored Nations - See Cortez

Don't cheat on your wife - hahaha...dear me...

Listen to your parents - What if your parents are racist homophobic inbred idiots?

Don't covet your neighbors stuff

Keeping up with Jones is a great Christian pastime..

Then we have those really, really, nasty laws

Don't worship other gods - Damn those Buddhists, Musslims and Devil Worshippers...how can they be right when the Chritian God is the only true one.

Don't worship man-made objects - hahahahahaha..Crucifxs and Churches never fell from Heaven sweetheart.

Don't swear using God's name - And who says the Church doesn't move with the times.

Take off one day a week and rest - The Mind boggles

Man! How do people put up with this stuff? On top of all this, in come Jesus with even more terrible recommendations.

Love your enemies - A good idea...Love the man who raped your 6 year old daughter...forgive him.

Pray for those who mistreat you - because that will make a difference

Forgive all wrongs against you - Or don't and express your humanity

Be humble, meek, don't seek attention - Actors, Actresses, Musicans, St Paul...take your pick

As for the rest Sunshine...you have absolutley no idea what Jesus said, did or thought...all you have is the say so of others so before we all hold hands and start singing "We are the World"...I think you should go back and read some more.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Catholic does not equal Christianity.

I've never prayed to a crucifix, and I don't even own one. I don't have a single picture of Jesus or Mary in my house. We don't even know what they looked like. In short I'm not Catholic. Don't assume that every Christian is. As you pointed out, a lot of the things that Jesus asked us to do are indeed hard, and I don't honestly think that Jesus expected that we would follow everything just as he said. Just look at the history of humanity up until that time. People just don't change. So, don't look at people and ask yourself if Christianity is a good religion, look at Christ and ask yourself if what he taught is worth you believing.

I honestly have the greatest respect for those of you who question Christianity. I've done the same thing myself. It's an admirable trait to question things. If those things are indeed true, you will find out by searching and learning. Keep that attitude, but don't close your mind to what could be the truth. Don't let your run in with Christians who don't act like Christ deter you.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Great posts savannah.
To me it sounds as if you have bobdylan cornered, no offense bob.

Oh and bob, your list of the commendments mixed with a list of what christians and catholics ever did wrong in the past is a pretty weak way to make your point.
No christian ever said all christians are perfect and no christian can come up with explanation or excuses for the horrible things done by people who called themselves christians.

It's a pretty weak way to dicuss this, and it makes the conversation moot in the end.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
Why does he only 'get ahold' of some? Why do so many choose other faiths? Is God not on their side? Are they just not quite as 'spiritually aware' as Christians? I cannot fathom a God that would pick any one faith over another, but thats just me.
I don't feel Christians are insane at all. I do not understand how they can discount billions of sincere people of other faiths, though.

God desires no one to perish. He is always trying to get people's attention focused on Him, through circumstances, trajedies, death, blessings, people who are christians, your own conscience. Do people listen or just pass it of as a coincidence?
Why do so many choose other faiths? CHOOSE is the key word. I was just reading today in a book that mankind finds it hard to believe that they don't have to do something to earn one's salvation. So trying to earn your salvation is the way people go. It probably makes people feel like they are of value. But here's the key, mankind is highly valued by God. Not for what we do but God loves us anyway. He loved us so much that He left all the glory He had in heaven and came down and was confined in mortal flesh for 33 years. Then He took sin upon himself so it could be punished and dealt with. He GUARANTEED each individual's place in eternity to be with Himself forever. You don't have earn it it's freely given if one will accept it.

Now after you accept it you will never be the same again. You know longer have to worry whether or not your good deeds outweighed your bad today. It doesn't matter anymore whether they do.(before someone says this is a license to sin hold on. If you have truly accepted Christ you will grow closer to God and become more like Him and a product of this is that you will sin less in frequency and intensity. Plus you don't want to sin you desire to do what is right.

As far as Is God on people's side and why does God just accept the christain faith. It's necessary to repeat He wants none to perish. The standard for God is perfection first. No person can attain this. So we are dead in our sins and they have to be dealt with. God is on mankind's side and in the greatest way possible. He took care of the sin problem through Jesus Christ. It's a done deal all you have to do is surrender your sin life to Him and He makes you brand new. You don't have to reincarnate 5,000 times and hope that's enough. You surrender to Him and He pays you back with a new life that is GUARANTEED entrance to heaven and eternity when you die or He returns(because you have trusted Jesus Christ).

Do you realize the freedom that is found in that. No more doubt about what happens after you die. Your going to HEAVEN to be with thr RULER and CREATOR of the UNIVERSE. No more sadness if you totally blow it and mess up day to day. You have hope, you can live each day knowing that if I mess up I acknowledge that sin and move on because you are FORGIVEN. Plus God has an ETERNITY that will never ever end planned out and you are planned out as a part of it. Then life takes on new meaning because you can remember where you were when you see others and can feel their hurt and help them to be a part of God's eternity.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
here... I shall post a Bible verse to answer yer question
John 3:16 "for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever beloeveth in me, shall not perish but have ever lasting life"
hahahahhaahahah no... if its true, id say christians arent insane.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
He took care of the sin problem through Jesus Christ. It's a done deal all you have to do is surrender your sin life to Him and He makes you brand new. You don't have to reincarnate 5,000 times and hope that's enough. You surrender to Him and He pays you back with a new life that is GUARANTEED entrance to heaven and eternity when you die or He returns(because you have trusted Jesus Christ).

I would respectfully refuse to hand my 'sinlife' over to him, since I feel it is my responsibility to deal with the results of my sins. I don't need a guarantee into heaven, and don't believe anyone alive knows for sure that this is the case anyway, they will find out when they die, not before. If 5 000 lives is the alternative I face if I do not let him take my sins on his shoulders, so be it, it is a matter of principle to me.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well, this is a funny thread, so good job for entertaining me folks!

I don't believe Christians are insane. Well, some of them are, of course. But, I do find them to be contradictory.

For instance, you have Christians on this site who bash fellow Christians (e.g. Catholics, usually) and expect you to agree with them. I have a question: If Christianity is THE religion, it is the most powerful one, no? Despite the fact that it has numerous divisions within it, it is still the one, right? With that assumption, the most powerful sect in this religion would therefore be the one that is right, no? So, despite their method of worship, how can Catholics be wrong? After all, they ARE the most powerful Christians on the planet.

For these and other reasons, I can only see Christianity as another religion, no better or less than the other religions of today. And, I strongly believe that you don't need religion to find God. Say what you want to say about what the Bible says, I still don't believe it. And if you can't admit that the Bible is not what some claim it is, oh well, no sweat off my back. We're talking about a book where a prophet claimed that the Nile river would be dried up. Yeah, biggest river on the planet drying up, I'll really believe that one.

To me, the Bible is a somewhat historical book filled with the morals and beliefs of a certain group of people. But, it is not the Word of God, and I stick by that until I am convinced otherwise.

On a side note, what is a troll? I always see anti-Christians labelled with this word. Can these bashers call Christians trolls?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
err.. well the Nile drying up isn't impossible... I don't know why you think that somehow a big river is impervious to change. It's sorta like saying, yeah right, like a meteor is going to hit earth and destroy over half of all the species... like THAT could ever happen... lol.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenwall
err.. well the Nile drying up isn't impossible... I don't know why you think that somehow a big river is impervious to change. It's sorta like saying, yeah right, like a meteor is going to hit earth and destroy over half of all the species... like THAT could ever happen... lol.

How the hell I came across this thread again, I'm not sure.

But, to clarify my post, I meant the guy said it was going to dry up. The way I first said it was kinda weak. But, to my knowledge, this hasn't happened, so I guess this guy was a false prophet.

And, yeah, the title of this thread does make me laugh.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think I understand where you are coming from Bob, especially when you're dealing with fanatical individuals. I believe they will frequently use biblical verses because it's just very convenient rather than having to debate things on a basis of logic, outside of religious superstition.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I think I understand where you are coming from Bob, especially when you're dealing with fanatical individuals. I believe they will frequently use biblical verses because it's just very convenient rather than having to debate things on a basis of logic, outside of religious superstition.

That's not really fair, though. I agree Christians and others at times forget their audience, but that doesn't mean they're just trying to take the easy route. For example, let's say you believe David Icke to be a reliable source of information. If we're having a conversation and you start quoting him or talking about something he wrote/said as evidence in our debate, I'm not going to accept it as readily as you do because I don't trust him. If you become aware of that lack of trust, or if I tell you flat out that I don't trust that source, you would have to switch gears in order to convince me of whatever we're talking about. It doesn't mean you don't have logic backing your arguments, it simply means that we have contrary opinions on the trustworthiness of the source being used.

Some people don't have logic backing their faith, but many do. Many often use biblical verses to supplement the logic they're using in the debate, but at times the audience gets fixated on the quotation and ignores the rest of the argument. That doesn't mean they're taking an easy route in discussion.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join