It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Penalty For IV Drug Users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Sexual behavior is one of the most difficult human behaviors to alter, and the tragedy of the ongoing global HIV pandemic reflects the enormous complexity of that effort. But one cause of HIV transmission is far easier to remedy than unprotected sex: intravenous drug use with contaminated needles. Unfortunately, the United States is now trying to block the most effective method for fighting needle-transmitted AIDS -- distributing clean needles to addicts -- by pressuring the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime to suppress data showing the success of needle-exchange programs and by considering an international "gag" rule on AIDS groups that work with needle users and receive American funding.

This would be tragic even if clean-needle programs saved only the lives of drug users, but they can have a far greater impact on the epidemic if instituted quickly enough. Contrary to popular stereotype, it's far easier to get an addict to use a clean needle than it is to get a man to use a condom, so containing HIV among addicts also massively reduces risk of later sexual and mother-to-child transmission. Now there is overwhelming scientific evidence to favor these programs. It breaks my heart that more than ever before, politics is overshadowing science at the cost of so many lives.

more info here: www.disinfo.com...

I have worked in alcohol and drug rehabs and know first hand that these needle exchange programs work and find it disgusting that politicians are too short sighted to see the benefits of such a program.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well one thing we can't thank George Bush for is the invasion of Afghanistan and all the pure heroin that has flowed out of the country since then.

Such pure heroin is sniffable and needles are not necessary. Hooray....uh...or something.

New Jersey was the last of two states holding out on clean needle exchange programs, we finally got the program this past summer. I'm not sure what other state is still being stupid about this.

New Jersey has 56,000 heroin addicts and only 2,000 rehab beds, 48 prisons, 18 of them are private corporations.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The sad thing is that there's a lot of studies showing that the needle exchange program DOES work, doesn't contribute to drug abuse, and saves money in the long run. As far as I know, there isn't a single study that suggests otherwise. It all lies in the attitude of the drug user as The Sinner and the state as the Stern Parent.

With Stern Parent models, there is no "help the kid" attitude. It's "you goofed up, now pay the penalty."

Now that I think of it, though, I'm not sure how much I know about WHY people start using drugs like that. I'm sure there's a million reasons. In any case, helping them get off and keeping them safe with needle exchanges is a lot better (and cheaper) than tossing them in jail and hoping they get a Nasty Disease and die a long, slow death.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
God, does not like the use of needles, when addicts get a hold of them. He also is very displeased with homosexuals. And isn't it funny how you can catch such a diasease such as Aids with no cure having unprtected sex and charing needles. Hmm .... awkward that god made it like that.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Attention everyone, another member presumes to speak for God.

Everyone, quiet down, let's all pay attention to the newest mouthpiece for the All.

C'mon...

How vain and deceitful does one have to be to claim to be a microphone for God, as though the entity that created the universe can't speak for itself?

Speaking of, did you know Falwell is in the hospital again?

Needle exchange programs are a good thing, they save lives and prevent 'sub culture' diseases from spreading to the mainstream.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
awkward that god made it like that.

So god created AIDES?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
God created everything.

why would society take responsibility for anything?

needle exchanges are the way to go. Hell, i believe it's in BC that docs are testing a program for heroin addicts where it is given by prescription, or at least administered by a doctor.

i wish the "holy rollers" would do their research before they run their mouths.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbo
God created everything.

why would society take responsibility for anything?

needle exchanges are the way to go. Hell, i believe it's in BC that docs are testing a program for heroin addicts where it is given by prescription, or at least administered by a doctor.

i wish the "holy rollers" would do their research before they run their mouths.

hmm sounds like bc may be on to something. could such a program ween the users off the drugs? if so it would be a great idea. i would just hope that the users have to pay something. after all leagal heroin would be much cheeper so why not. it would also cut down deaths due to bad product shared needles not to mention the possibility of getting people off. i don't agree with heavy drug use but something like this could be very benificial. it would also help put illicit supliers out of business and cut down some crime. much better than wasteing money trying to catch users and suppliers.

add to that the legalization of pot and watch the crimelords suffer. add other drug treatment to that and you could finantualy ruin most major criminal organizations. not to mention the lives that could be saved, and the crimes that could be cut. heck you might even find a good use for some of the drugs police get their hands on instead of just burning it up and driveing up the street prices. you can even cut down the murder rate.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
hmm sounds like bc may be on to something. could such a program ween the users off the drugs? if so it would be a great idea. i would just hope that the users have to pay something. after all leagal heroin would be much cheeper so why not. it would also cut down deaths due to bad product shared needles not to mention the possibility of getting people off. i don't agree with heavy drug use but something like this could be very benificial. it would also help put illicit supliers out of business and cut down some crime. much better than wasteing money trying to catch users and suppliers.

add to that the legalization of pot and watch the crimelords suffer. add other drug treatment to that and you could finantualy ruin most major criminal organizations. not to mention the lives that could be saved, and the crimes that could be cut. heck you might even find a good use for some of the drugs police get their hands on instead of just burning it up and driveing up the street prices. you can even cut down the murder rate.

they aren't exactly legalizing the heroin in BC, just administerring it like a prescription.

Medically Supervised Drug Injection Facilities Safer For Illicit Drug Users- this is the only article I could find on the topic, but I'll post more if I find them.

My views on the legalization of marijuana can be discussed in a different time or place, but I think overall, medical supervision of drug users not only cuts the risk of overdoses, but prevents needle sharing, and can allow for a greater opportunity to get the user into rehab.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I'm still on the side that addiction is a desease, and like every desease there is a cure out there for it. I believe every dime spent on anything other than finding the cure is being wasted.

If they got rid of all the heroin the addict will turn to coke, get rid of the coke and they will turn to amphetimines, get rid of the go fast and the addict will turn to pot, get rid of the pot and the addict will turn to booze. We've tried to get rid of the booze and that turned into a nightmare.

In a free enterprise economy, a supply will ALWAYS rise to meet the demand. Get rid of the demand and the supply will go away.

Find the cure for addiction and people can grow all the poppies and make all the crank they want and will have to flush the stuff cause no one will want it.

We don't have a drug problem and never have, we have a people problem and curing the people is the only way to fix it.

I could be wrong though, this is just mho.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

God, does not like the use of needles, when addicts get a hold of them. He also is very displeased with homosexuals. And isn't it funny how you can catch such a diasease such as Aids with no cure having unprtected sex and charing needles. Hmm .... awkward that god made it like that.

This is one sick individual that posted this. Why do you have so much hate inside you? I would think a good Christian would be full of love for his fellow man. Must not be a good Christian....is there such a thing anyway?

Are you a closet homosexual? Your comments may be your way of trying to hide your true self from the world.

Or....at least WAKE UP!! GOd loves everyone including homosexuals and drug addicts!! And idiots like yourself that spew venom!!

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Zabilgy]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy

This is one sick individual that posted this. Why do you have so much hate inside you? I would think a good Christian would be full of love for his fellow man. Must not be a good Christian....is there such a thing anyway?

Are you a closet homosexual? I think you are. Your comments are your way of trying to hide your true self from the world. Come out of the closet!!

Or....at least WAKE UP!! GOd loves everyone including homosexuals and drug addicts!! And idiots like yourself that spew venom!!

AIDS has got to be the most overrated "disease" ever. Yes, there where a few "innocents" infected early on before the blood supply was monitored. But now it is 100% preventable.

BTW how can you think bet555 is a closet homosexual from his post? You sound like a heterophobe to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
this doesnt need to turn into a flame war, with everyone accusing everyone else of being gay, or homo- or hetero-phobic.

lets stick to the topic at hand, and if there isn't anything worthy for you to contribute, please do not contribute at all.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

BTW how can you think bet555 is a closet homosexual from his post? You sound like a heterophobe to me.

I'm quite straight and not a homo-phobe or hater of homosexuals. I just find a lot of people like bet555 that make comments as he/she did that homosexuals and drug addicts deserve AIDS or it was GOd's plan, I find that many times they are in the closet and make such comments to hide their true selves from the world.....just an observation and a possibility. I never said it was a fact....it just makes me wonder. I wonder how someone that uses the name of God can be so full of hate. It sickens me!!

If whoever made the comment I posted above feels bet555 was right in posting what they said, well then, you need to look at yourself also. Why so full of hate?? Is that what God wants??

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
And besides....God didn't create AIDS, our government did!! But that's another topic for another thread. The topic here is regarding giving needles to addicts to help stop the spread of AIDS.....

top topics

join