It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schiavo Suckers - You're On A List

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It's not like you weren't warned: Christian Right Literally "Cashing In" On Schiavo Suffering

The latest development (from New York Times):

List of Schiavo Donors Will Be SOLD by Direct Marketing Firm

WASHINGTON, March 28 - The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups.

"These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri," says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited, which is asking $150 a month for 6,000 names and $500 a month for 4,000 e-mail addresses of people who responded last month to an e-mail plea from Ms. Schiavo's father. "These individuals are passionate about the way they value human life, adamantly oppose euthanasia and are pro-life in every sense of the word!"

Privacy experts said the sale of the list was legal and even predictable, if ghoulish.

"I think it's amusing," said Robert Gellman, a privacy and information policy consultant. "I think it's absolutely classic America. Everything is for sale in America, every type of personal information."

Executives of Response Unlimited declined to comment. Gary McCullough, director of the Christian Communication Network and a spokesman for Ms. Schiavo's parents, confirmed that Mr. Schindler had agreed to let Response Unlimited rent out the list as part of a deal for the firm to send an e-mail solicitation raising money on the family's behalf.

When you dance with the devil, the devil's gonna lead.

Mr. McCullough said he was present when Mr. Schindler agreed to the arrangement in a conversation with Phil Sheldon, the co-founder of a conservative online marketing organization, RightMarch.com, who acted as a broker for Response Unlimited.

"So the Schindlers do know the details," Mr. McCullough said on Monday. How much attention they paid to the matter is hard to assess, he added. "The Schindlers right now know that their daughter is starving to death, and if I ask about anything else, they say, 'I don't want to hear about it.' "

The Schindler's mea culpa:

Pamela Hennessy, an unpaid spokeswoman for the Schindlers, said she was initially appalled when she learned of the list's existence.

"It is possibly the most distasteful thing I have ever seen," Ms. Hennessy said. "Everybody is making a buck off of her."

Ms. Hennessy, who operates the Schindlers' Web site, www.terrisfight.org, said the family had not released any of the names or e-mail addresses gathered there. "Obviously these people are enterprising, and they are taking advantage of this very desperate father," she said.

Feel for Terri's suffering?

THEN JOIN THE WAR ON HOMOSEXUALITY TODAY!

Terri would have wanted it that way.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Very nice post rant.

I wish people would just live THIER lives and leave others the F alone.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Just as the article said, ghoulish, but predictable.

I loved your closing statement by the way.

Very strong.

One can only hope this pushes more people to the middle, away from the fringe. If I donated to help a dying woman's grief struck family win a court battle, and got some letter in the mail espousing the dangers of 'mud people', or cultivating a crusade agaisnt muslims, I'd flip. I'd renounce the entire nonsensical distinction and focus on appreciating and encouraging individuality.

I hope others will react as I would.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I smartened up about giving donations over the internet.
Got screwed once. Never again. So they don't have my
name or address.

However, this doesn't change the fact that starving a woman
to death is barbaric. While I find the selling of names predictable
and a pain in the neck ... I still find the starvation disgusting and
I am praying for a miracle. No, not to reinsert the tube because
at this point she probably has organ damage that is irreparable.
I'm praying for an old fashioned all out healing miracle. That's
all that can be done at this point. Then Terri can stand up and
tell everyone exactly what she wants, what happened to her,
who did or didn't do things to her .... Come on God ... just one
miracle .... just a glance this way ..... that's all it would take.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
One can only hope this pushes more people to the middle, away from the fringe. If I donated to help a dying woman's grief struck family win a court battle, and got some letter in the mail espousing the dangers of 'mud people', or cultivating a crusade agaisnt muslims, I'd flip. I'd renounce the entire nonsensical distinction and focus on appreciating and encouraging individuality.

I hope others will react as I would.

That's if they even realize where it is coming from. If they get push polled this coming election season, receive action letters from their local Republican Representative or Senator, or start receiving a Christian-oriented newsletter tinged with backlash messages, they probably won't make a connection.

Target marketing at it's finest--when the public doesn't even know that they are being sold something....

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
OMG!!

Schindler's List

PART II

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS
OMG!!

Schindler's List

PART II

I'm going to be angry at myself all day for not thinking of that for a title.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
RANT: It is totally shocking how these people find every opportunity to make a quick buck out of every occasion. As for the people on the list , you try to make them look stupid for caring. You come across as rather insensitive instead. Mostly you assume that those who are for saving Terri are against homosexuality, and that being "liberal" makes you (1) against the fight to keep Terri alive and (2) for homosexual rights. Prove it.

This is a woman dying of starvation. Not a bad joke. These are parents forced to watch their daughter die painfully, yes painfully that is why she is having morphine injections, not the brunt of clever turns of phrase. Honestly people especially mods show sensitivity. There but for fortune go you or I.

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Mynaeris]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
mynaeris
Your opinion that it was a bad joke notwithstanding, you didn't get the joke.

Or you didn't read the text of RANT's article very closely.

ALL sorts of groups will use these lists to market to these people, many of whom are ideologically different as you and I.

Non-partisan 'good samaritans' will likely receive numerous Republican, Pro-Life, Anti-Gay, Right Wing, and other similarly distateful solicitations.

That was the point.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

OMG!!

Schindler's List

Rant, how'd you miss it???

Then again, sounds like the Times missed it too, hehe...

This is pretty amusing actually, all those people claiming Michael was "out for the money" and yet look who's REALLY out for the payday...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Oh I got the point starting with "Schiavo Suckers - You're on a list" through the myriad of insensitive and vicious posts on various threads by Rant on the Schiavo case, down to the "Feel for Terri's suffering?

THEN JOIN THE WAR ON HOMOSEXUALITY TODAY!"

I miss the kinder , funny, friendly Rant. I used to think he was one of the most amazing mods on ATS. I even sent him a U2U to that effect.

"Some people think only intellect counts: knowing how to solve problems, knowing how to get by, knowing how to identify an advantage and seize it. But the functions of intellect are insufficient without courage, love, friendship, compassion and empathy."

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
RANT: It is totally shocking how these people find every opportunity to make a quick buck out of every occasion.

If you're still shocked by the goulish behavior of marketers, politicians and political action committees that consistently prey on our nation's most vulnerable citizens (people of faith), you haven't been paying attention.

As for the people on the list , you try to make them look stupid for caring.

They don't need my help. (Pictures from Wingnut Woodstock)

You come across as rather insensitive instead.

What are you, new here? I'm rather insensitive. (Clarification added to Mini Profile)

Mostly you assume that those who are for saving Terri are against homosexuality, and that being "liberal" makes you (1) against the fight to keep Terri alive and (2) for homosexual rights. Prove it.

Prove I assume that. You seem confused. It's true I think the pro-choice and pro-gay rights liberals (not all liberals) wedged off in the cynical political posturing of the opportunists behind "Terri's Fight" are suckers and have consistently told the Kleenex Contingent so to their face. And now that those "for Terri" that aren't against homosexuality and abortion are now on "Schindler's List" as a target for anti-homosexual and anti-abortion right's political efforts, I feel pretty honking validiated in that belief.

This is a woman dying of starvation. Not a bad joke.

This case is a bad joke on the American people from beginning to end.

These are parents forced to watch their daughter die painfully, yes painfully that is why she is having morphine injections, not the brunt of clever turns of phrase. Honestly people especially mods show sensitivity. There but for fortune go you or I.

Show sensitivity? What about to Michael? What of all the rather unclever turns of phrase lodged his way nonstop around here? You've been as vocal in that witch hunt as anyone and ignored every single shred of impartial evidence in his defense as far as I can tell. There but for his misfortune could go you or I too.

I miss the kinder , funny, friendly Rant.

I'm really chaotic neutral. Always have been. You just usually agree. But this is how the "other half" always found me.

I do have strong personal feelings about this case, but none of them are directed personally Mynaeris. Though it is difficult to not take it personally when people consider your mainstream American opinion a "culture of death" or "of satan" or "straight out of Nazi Germany" I do my best to not be as unkind, unfunny and unfriendly as the Terri fringe.

Seriously, if you think you've found the moral high ground in this three ring circus Mynaeris, I assure you it's a pile of elephant dung.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Rant and Gazrok you were right all alone, and I agree with you, we live in a society in which everything has a price, and life and death is not excluded.

Many profit from Terri’s ordeal, everybody thinks that only her husband will benefit from her death.

Well I guess the parents had been caught up in the spur of the profit.

At least Terri will not longer be here to see what her situation has created. She will be somewhere where, hate, hypocrisy and lies can’t hurt her anymore.

And Rant I guess you did miss the tittle but that doesn’t take away the fact that is going to be the Schindler’s list after all.

[edit on 30-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
``

if joe & jane 6-pack, continue to make donations the E-Z way,
(like credit cards, internet transfers, etc)
they will continue to be preyed upon

why not, get up, walk to your local Quick-ee-Store
burn a few calories in the process, get a little cardio-vascular exercise,

Purchase a Money Order!
send it by snail-mail!
and chances are, you won't become like the Mel Gibson character in
"Conspiracy Theory"

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hmmnn,

So it's ok for MoveOn.org and groups like that to create mailing lists and use marketing techniques but it's not ok for conservative groups to do the same???

Yes, this is sadly predictable, but what's also predictable is the sight of agitated members of the Left complaining about the fact that conservatives can organize themselves or network. Note, for instance, how the same people who complain that their freedom of speech is being 'stifled' because no one chooses to listen to Air America often cry about 'polarization' whenever a conservative voice dares to say anything. Note how the same people who want to ban FOX news often take offense at anyone who points out that the big three networks have a liberal bias.

It's the same old thing: Liberals believe in freedom of speech and assembly for everyone... so long as they're a liberal. Why is this? Because, deep down inside, the Left knows that its ideas can't survive in a competitive environment. The sight of a single conservative group or publication is a nightmare for them because they believe that everyone should be operating from the same values playbook that they have... and so its hard for them to understand that someone might dare to think in a way that differs from them. Liberals think that their ideas are 'normative' (though they are not) and so feel impelled to treat anything that isn't liberal as threatening.

So... to all those who are offended by the fact that the Right has its own mailing lists... I assume that you will stop participating in your own liberal organizations. I assume that you will also condemn things like MoveOn.org...

What I've learned so far:
It's ok for liberals to organize but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to have mailing lists but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to have freedom of speech but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to protest but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to have their own magazines and tv shows but not conservatives
Its ok for liberals to set normative moral standards but not conservatives

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

What I've learned so far:
It's ok for liberals to organize but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to have mailing lists but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to have freedom of speech but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to protest but not conservatives
It's ok for liberals to have their own magazines and tv shows but not conservatives
Its ok for liberals to set normative moral standards but not conservatives

Heeeey, you're not as dumb as you look! Now that you know this, hopefully you'll get even smarter and become a liberal. After all, all smart people are, if you're not a liberal, you must be some red neck country bumpkin sheeple.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
well, I tell ya what.....
from now on, before I support any organization, liberal or conservative, I will make sure that their mailing list is kept confidential and not shared with others.....that should take care of it right there....

if any supporters are worried about their information being sold, well, go back and check the information regarding their privacy policy....if it says that they will now share the information with anyone else, and now they are selling it, well, I don't believe they can legally sell it....

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
These are parents forced to watch their daughter die painfully, yes painfully that is why she is having morphine injections, not the brunt of clever turns of phrase.

I'm trying to stay out of this whole thing, mainly because there's so many sensational claims flying around. This one is definitely false though and I have to comment on it. She's had only two Morphine injections of 5g, which is the smallest dose injectable. It's equivalent to Tylenol at that dosage, but of course she can't take Tylenol orally. Morphine doses of up to 150g are given to cancer patients because they really are dying painfully.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I'm really chaotic neutral. Always have been. You just usually agree. But this is how the "other half" always found me.

Haha! I knew you were a gamer! We smell our own! Muhahaha!!!

Sorry, just had to do that....

"No Dungeon master worth his weight in geldings ever goes anywhere without his trusty....20 sided die" - Wet Hot American Summer.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Once again it is said for me to see that most people do NOT know the difference between a Christian and a "Self Righteous Once Saved always Saved Bible thumper Protestan Hate Monger".... very very sad

also pathetic how this thread started by pointing fingers at people that use others situation to profit their own agendas, and thena again ...this thread ends up USING TERRI's SCHIAVO STARVATION as one more pathetic way to bash Christians and all conservative people... lol..pathetic....

id rather be a "dumb Bush supporter redneck", a than a sad " save the dolphins, shoot the geese for votes, Free the children in Chinese orphanages, abort babies... Free child molesters ..Starve comatose patients Liberal"

[edit on 30-3-2005 by BaastetNoir]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join