It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this create energy to use for electricity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
OK I know this is a crazy question but I used to be real interested in windmills being used for electricity (not very knowledgable on the subject just wanted a smaller electric bill) and the other day I noticed the little wind turbines on my roof kept turning. I have two on there and at least one is always spinning and it occured to me that this is pretty much like a windmill only on a smaller scale. Could they be used like a windmill and the energy converted into electricty and if so how many would it problably take to run an average home? TIA

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Ummmm.......www.bwea.com...

This should answer your question. One problem not all place have wind all the time. So why don't we make windfarms and as a plan B why not use the current of the ocean to create electricity but there will be problems for people far inland but why not use the streams and rivers to create energy this would be SOOOOOOO easy its stupid.

Why have we not done this already??????

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hunting Veritas
Why have we not done this already??????

Exactlt. One of mankinds biggest mysteries..

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
There are so many places we can put them!!!....

What about the windiest places in the world...like mount washington or in the arctic. In the winter there is a circum polar vortex in the arctic, where winds keep blowing for months at a time. Is it too expensive or what???...I guess its kinda hard to build in the arctic, but why not during the summer???

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I would assume that the reason wind farms are not built in the artic has to do with the fact that it is so remote. It would cost huge amounts to connect the wind farms to any sort of national grid. Not only that but the fact that the artic ice is decreasing in area every year would mean that you could never be sure of a secure footing for the windmills.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You could put windmills that flost on across the ocean there is always a breeze on the ocean. Why wouldn't that work ? You could put together a system of windmills that a company would be responsible for their upkeep. Even if it could create alittle energy it would definately be cost efective it would be an endless supply of energy. Hmmmm.. Although I am sure that this has been discussed before ... Very nice post ... .

WASTING CREATED ENERGY ?????

The OZONE IS REALLY DEPLEATING IT SELF ALONG ITH THE POLAR ICE CAPS !!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
you would still have to problem of connecting this network of floating windmills to a national grid, and also what happens when there is a storm?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well when there is a storm ... You run out and take all of them down. No you idiot ... when there is a storm we tap into that power. We get more power the more stormy it gets. =-) /... DUH .

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
why we have not done more with other sources of energy is simple we had an easy supply, then when the energy crunch hit in the 70's (some of you are too young to recall but you could only get gas on certain days according to the last number on your tag) anyway President Carter started to investigate alternative means of energy and it was just making progress, when Reagan got in and done away with it.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

when there is a storm we tap into that power. We get more power the more stormy it gets

well when you figure out a way of building floating windmills that can be easily connected to a power grid and won't be damaged by storms we'll see who we'll call an idiot ok?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Just use gravity in the form of a loop or wheel.
3 Spring loaded arms attached to weights when the weight is distributed to the lower half it places the top half out of balance by forcing upper weight higher via lever repeating in a continued loop. It's called perpetual motion but alot of science people will tell you it's impossible.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

alot of science people will tell you it's impossible.

well mainly because it is...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
i just saw on i believe it was daly planet last night of a small project useing turbines in the water beside new york (long island i think but not sure) to supply power for a store.

as for useing the oceian the big problem is power transmision as already stated.there are a lot of good power ideas out there the problem is useualy that the technology we currantly have is not quite good enough yet.

what is needed for both wind and water power generation is low resistance high output generators. low resestance so it takes little power to turn. high output to provide the max output per unit with low revolutions per minute. untill we have this you do not receive enough power vs the cost of instalation and maintanince. we are slowly getting there though. it takes time to improve what is needed.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
First of all there are many smart power engineers out there working on ways to more efficiently generate and distribute power, I think just shouting "why don’t we just build more wind farms" etc is a bit ignorant uh? Wind farms generate power when it is windy, so when it is not the lights go out and when there is too much wind they have to be limited so that they don’t melt the grid. Same goes for wave generators etc. The solution would be to build a mass power storage system, do this and you will become a very rich person.
The main problem here is that there are no obvious new ways to produce GWatts of power all of the time, and the cost of building high voltage transmission lines out to loads of remote places to tap on natural resources is very expensive.
Having said this, don't get me wrong, people coming up with new ideas and discussing them is a very good thing, keep the ideas coming!

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Is it really al about money ... sometimes I think so then when the government gets involved I don't think so .... if we produce more energy then that means we would have more energy to SELL. Hold on wait, if we have more energy to sell, then that means we would have more money being coming in. I mean I am not a scientist or anything just an Hypothesis if you will. Anyhow ... who is going to say we have way to much energy lying around here.

new topics

top topics

join