It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chemical Weapons Stored At U.S. Depot To Be Destroyed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Some 3850 tons of chemical weapons or fifteen percent of the nations stock is being destroyed. The weapons stored at the Pine Bluff Arsenal include the nerve agent Sarin. The military plans to have all of the nations stockpiled destroyed by 2010 to comply with international treaty obligations.

story.news.yahoo.com
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - The Pine Bluff Arsenal began destroying its stockpile of 3,850 tons of chemical weapons Tuesday, incinerating rockets loaded with nerve gas.

"Everything went well," arsenal spokeswoman Raini Wright said after the first of two M-55 rockets was incinerated for 15 minutes in one of the three furnaces at the installation outside Pine Bluff.

Twelve percent of the nation's chemical weapons are stored at the Pine Bluff Arsenal, and the military plans to incinerate all of them by 2010 to comply with an international treaty that says countries must destroy their stockpiles by 2012. Chemical weapons have also been incinerated at other military depots.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Clearly left over from the Cold War, chemical weapons no longer have a place in our military. Especially since U.S. policy deems then a weapon of mass destruction similar to a nuclear weapon. If attacked on the battlefield with chemical weapons, the nuclear option is always available. However, the reality is any chemical or biological attack on the U.S. is more likely a result of terrorism than a concerted nation versus nation war.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.pba.army.mil...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
well, at least we are going toward the right way... i hope...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Rumsfeld seems to think chemical weapons have a place in the US arsenal...

What I found most interesting about this story (I read it a day or two ago on 1st Headlines Regional) is the fact that they took the precaution of distributing walkie talkies, alert sirens, and emergency contact info before starting the procedure.

If there was an ulterior motive for their actions I can't see it. I thought it was responsible, and a good sign that someone's thinking down there. It's reassuring for citizens to be reminded that their government isn't ALWAYS out to get them. Just most of the time...

They just started the process though, there's a long way to go. So many weapons left to destroy.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I have a real hard time believing the news that we all know by now is only "government feed", in a shameless attempt to coerce the masses to believe what ever is told to them in the form of "news".

Does anyone really think for one minute that the U.S. Military has any intent what-so-ever to even consider destroying one bit of that chemical warfare, and/or anything else that has been found? It is dispicable to think that any country ought to have any such things as WMD. But of course the U.S. is exempt! Hasn't that been fairly obvious? Who knows what new kinds of WMD is being developed as we speak on the behalf of the U.S? The more warfare, for Bush's America, the better!

Of course, you guys, we know that nuclear weapons and anything of the like has no purpose in our society. And I mean the society of human beings that inhabit the earth. They never did. I mean, what is the purpose of spending billions of dollars, costing countless lives to go to war with countries that don't have the same beliefs as our 'wonderful' government? The only reason I can see, is to stuff the pocket-books of high-ranking officials so full, that they have to get new ones, or deeper pockets!

Would it really be so bad if the world could get along, respect each others differences, and trade commodities as was probably the idea in the first place! I'm sorry, didn't mean to go so off topic.

But, unfortunately, I would be highly surprised if the U.S. Military's Commander in Chief has any true plans to destroy the weapons, rather add them to his already incredible arsenal.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I for one, *do* believe the military will be getting rid of chemical warfare materials.

Why? Because they suck! They are almost worthless when used against the type of armies we are designed to fight. The gas afects both sides, so our troops are slowed down anyways.

We can't even use guns, and bullets without international hatred and outrage. We can't even use miniskirts and thongs, and female intelligence "assets" without the screaming of abuse and worldwide condemnation.

Gasses kill too slowly. They are slow to prepare and use. They scare the troops using them as much as or more than the enemy. They scare the troops who are stationed anywhere near the stuff. Bad for morale.

And, like it or not, the military is not some homogenous hateful blob like many here wish to think. It contains *volunteer* soldiers and command staff, National Guard "weekend Warriors", and civilian contractors with families. Moral qualms against something that causes the enemy, and his children, to blisteer and bleed and convulse up their own guts, would cause many to hesitate and hesitation is bad for modern high-speed warfare.

Tactically, politically, and morally, chemical weapons are not only worthless, but detrimental, so we're getting rid of them.

Originally posted by CyberKat
I'm sorry, but I have a real hard time believing the news that we all know by now is only "government feed", in a shameless attempt to coerce the masses to believe what ever is told to them in the form of "news".

Does anyone really think for one minute that the U.S. Military has any intent what-so-ever to even consider destroying one bit of that chemical warfare, and/or anything else that has been found? It is dispicable to think that any country ought to have any such things as WMD. But of course the U.S. is exempt! Hasn't that been fairly obvious? Who knows what new kinds of WMD is being developed as we speak on the behalf of the U.S? The more warfare, for Bush's America, the better!

Of course, you guys, we know that nuclear weapons and anything of the like has no purpose in our society. And I mean the society of human beings that inhabit the earth. They never did. I mean, what is the purpose of spending billions of dollars, costing countless lives to go to war with countries that don't have the same beliefs as our 'wonderful' government? The only reason I can see, is to stuff the pocket-books of high-ranking officials so full, that they have to get new ones, or deeper pockets!

Would it really be so bad if the world could get along, respect each others differences, and trade commodities as was probably the idea in the first place! I'm sorry, didn't mean to go so off topic.

But, unfortunately, I would be highly surprised if the U.S. Military's Commander in Chief has any true plans to destroy the weapons, rather add them to his already incredible arsen

al.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
fyi cyberkat has no clue what the hell he/she is talking about. aye we have a load of chem weapons stored around the US. The US is spending billions of dollars to build these incinerators at these storage locations to destroy all these munitions as fast and as safe as humanly possible. These incineratiors run 24/7 365days a year and will stay in operation till all the munitions and agent they contain are destroyed. People who say different have no clue what they are talking about. The US is doing a good thing here.

Oh and GB and VX will kill ya very fast if your exposed to high enough concentrations but even being exposed to a little bit will take the fight out of anyone .. this stuff is nasty... its just bug killer made for humans

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobobb

fyi cyberkat has no clue what the hell he/she is talking about.

You are right. CyberKat shouldn't be getting into conversations where weapons are involved, because, in all honesty, she doesn't know much at all about them. She just has been very mad at the government and all it's cover-ups and secrecy.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
Does anyone really think for one minute that the U.S. Military has any intent what-so-ever to even consider destroying one bit of that chemical warfare, and/or anything else that has been found?

Yes I do, they are expensive to store and pose a constant risk of leaks and exposure. By comparison nuclear weapons are a bit safer. And since the U.S. views chem/biologicals as WMD, nuclear weps can be used in reply.

top topics

join