It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Preacher Jerry Falwell Critically Ill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Kinda mixed here. He's a bad man, but a man. I feel bad when anything suffers except for child abusers and such, though I would think he would be happy that he will soon be where he "thinks" he wants to be, though he may get a surprised on that one!

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
That's the difference between me and other people. No matter who they are, I'd rather not wish them bad or scorn them.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
That's the difference between me and other people. No matter who they are, I'd rather not wish them bad or scorn them.

That is what makes up different, we all humans but different and have different opinions and ways to express our fellings.

I feel just fine and so you should also.

Some come to this earth to do more damage than good, and that is the way it goes.

We all have missions but we all also have choices.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon

Falwell is a TV evangelist who has those big budget "You are healed!" type shows with hair that doesn't move. I think he also heads up a Christian Univesity - Liberty U - somewhere in the Southeast.

He's known for gay-bashing, and general other intolerances and disdain for anyone not just like him.

He was more of a big deal in the 80s when TV religion really hit it big with the PTL club, Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker, etc. TV evangelism has become more of a tired joke these days.

yep,
i used to occasionally tune in to his rants,
mostly to keep tabs on what the religious right was up to

i'd kept tabs on Swaggert too, & Hagee & WorldWideChurch-of-God-ers,
& Pat Robertson among others
...i think the only big time evangelists remaining are the Van Impes'.

JF, to me, was only another 'salesman' and i half-critically, analysed his
presentations...seeing how many faults and departures from the ideal Christian-way-of-thinking & living, i could point out to my wife.

since he's in the news, i wish his family well.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Jerry Falwell is a douche to the 10th degree. Lets not forget our most humble reverend blaming gays, lesbians for Sept 11th. That went over well.
Falwell's apology

Boy, between him and Cochran, sounds like the Devil has come to start collecting his dues...Should be a neat day in hell.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'd just like to sit in a little corner of his hospital room and see how he goes-out. I'd like to know if he's so sure of where's he going, or if he fights death through his last breath. I don't hate the guy, but I honestly believe he's caused more than his share of pain, and did it in the name of money.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Originally posted by junglejake
TheBandit795, what we're learning here today is that, when people here disagree with someone's politics, they completely loath that individual and would like to see them suffer miserably.

That's so funny you say that. Falwell has known this for some time.

Falwell himself was a proponent of segregation, and later 'recanted', but the extent to which he has changed his feelings regarding the inferiority of blacks is questionable. He does however, like them enough to capitalize on their accomplishments, often comparing himself to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who was perhaps the most courageous man of the twentieth century. Just read those quotes I've posted and tell me..does Falwell bear even the slightest resemblance to King? No. He's a cheat, a liar, a racist, a homophobe, a mysogonist(sp?) and a blight upon this country.

May he burn for all eternity in his self created Hell.

May the boil that is he be popped, and let him scream "My Goo, my precious goo!"

Amen.

...so...you're saying...you want him to burn in Hell for doing exactly what you just did? Interesting...

Marg, the fact that people are being honest doesn't bother me, it's the fact that they truely believe this. While you can respect someone for their honesty, you can lose a lot due to what they say in their honesty. Klan members are honest, they hate everything not white...Does that mean we should respect them, since they're telling us how they really feel?

EDIT: I should probably point out that I disagree with Falwell on just about every level except that Jesus is my savior. What bothers me about the guy is that he's done so much to give Christianity a black eye, and caused many people to believe he's the norm of Christianity, rather than the exception. He never recieved a single red cent from me. I just find this grave dancing pretty freakin' sick.

[edit on 3-30-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yeah, Jake, that's about right. See, I don't believe in a hellish afterlife, I believe I'm living in hell right now, paying my penance with time in the flesh. I know where I'm going when I die, but I'm not going to tell you or anybody else, because I want it all to myself.

Jerry has spent his whole life telling people they will burn forever in the lake of fire unless they give him money and believe what he does.

He's actually messing with people's conceptions, twisting their lives into a fruitless pursuit of an afterlife that will never exist for them, because of doubt, fear, hate, and all the other things he preaches.

He's innoculating people against a pleasant afterlife, exactly the opposite of what he says he's doing.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Falwell is now stable!

www.foxnews.com...

Sorry to spoil the fun.

Oh BTW, he qualifies for heaven.

John 3:16

That is gonna pee alot of people off!

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Lets get one thing straight, I don't hate anyone. Falwell is an asshole so if the guy drops dead Im not sheding a tear over it.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Falwell is now stable!

www.foxnews.com...

Sorry to spoil the fun.

Oh BTW, he qualifies for heaven.

John 3:16

That is gonna pee alot of people off!

Actually I agree with you on this one, not because the bible quote, but because I don't believe that hell exist, so actually we all once shed the human body will go back to the place were all souls meet.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Im gay.

grew up listening to this bigoted god-barfing mind-slave.

I am perfectly willing to assist him home to Jesus.

Life is a passion play.
Can't say i personally will miss that character in the play

He is like a bad penny, he will keep coming back.

Having fantasies of dancing on his dying corpse.

*one*
*two*
*cha, cha, cha*

*twist*
*spin*
*cha, cha, cha*

*boot kick*
*boot stomp*
*choke, choke, choke*

ladyV i hope you will forgive, but to me that fat pig has no humanity what-so-ever.

Glad to see the Pope overshadowing that loud-mouth pinhead.
Not that the Pope is much better himself.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
TheBandit795, what we're learning here today is that, when people here disagree with someone's politics, they completely loath that individual and would like to see them suffer miserably. Chances are, many of the people here on this board would be pretty gleeful to dance on my own grave if I were to die a miserable, suffering death. After all, I am a conservative, and therefor deserving of torture.

I agree, this really disgusts me, and I have lost very, very much respect for many of these folks. Ok, I lied, all of these folks.

Enjoy your hatrid, people. I hope it makes you happy, and I pray you don't meet the same fate Falwell has.

Oh, the pangs of self righteous indignation. The pious and the meek alike shall gather at the river and lay palms for the speedy recovery of God's humble servent. However shall we cope with such a loss? How will we muster the strength to carry on in our battle against eternal damnation? Will Pat Robertson pick up the torch and lead the armies of light to victory? Will Billy Graham allow the angels to speak directly through him, and purge the heathens from our society?

Could it actually be possible that the herd of blathering, moral provacateurs might just be thinned out by one? Well, one thing's for certain, it wasn't the Devil or the ACLU or the liberals or feminists or the wiccans or even the homosexuals that did him in. It was the porkchops that he was shoveling into his fat little gullet on a daily basis.

God really works in mysterious ways, eh?

I'd like to pray for a speedy recovery for him, but I'm a Democrat, and as Falwell so eagerly pointed out time and time again, God hates me - so I'm sure that my prayers would fall on deaf ears. I'd like to go to church and light a candle, but I'm a pro-choice liberal and that means I'm simply not invited to.

And for people so utterly and completely shocked that people on the left might hold a grudge against Falwell? Well, I guess we've been accused of being the Devil's minions for so long, that we've forgotten that we're actually not.

As for hating Ole Jerry? I'm just hating the sin, not the sinner.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735

Oh, the pangs of self righteous indignation. The pious and the meek alike shall gather at the river and lay palms for the speedy recovery of God's humble servent. However shall we cope with such a loss? How will we muster the strength to carry on in our battle against eternal damnation? Will Pat Robertson pick up the torch and lead the armies of light to victory? Will Billy Graham allow the angels to speak directly through him, and purge the heathens from our society?

Do I detect sarcasm?

As for hating Ole Jerry? I'm just hating the sin, not the sinner.

As I've stated, I don't agree with the guy's politics. He really seems to have missed Jesus's message of exactly what you stated, hate the sin, not the sinner. I'd probably be one of those people going to Hell in Falwell's mind because I >gasp!< have gay friends, I like Billy Graham, I'm friends with mostly liberal democrats, I'm a feminist, and I don't believe anyone is too far gone to be saved.

More importantly, I don't really like the guy. He's giving Christianity a really bad name, and people are jumping on that bandwagon of believing he's your typical Christian. I'd like him to shut the &%@ up, but I don't want to celebrate that he dies, and celebrate harder if he suffers before he dies.

He's not going to Hell if he's sincere in his belief that Christ is his salvation. However, God's true pastors lead His flock in love and by example. Falwell doesn't really seem like a guy who could, or would love his enemy. He leads his flock with hatrid and fear. Both of which are very effective tools for leading people, but they do not have anything to do with leading people to Christ. God loves all people, be they gay, in the ACLU,interracially married, democrat, liberal, conservative, murderers, or even someone as wretched as little ol' me (no, that's not a sarcastic comment, I have access to my inner mind and am not a good person). One of the most disgusting things I have ever seen was some guy holding a sign up saying, "God hates gays". If we could sue for falsly advertising a religion, that dude would be so far in debt that his great great great great grandchildren would still be paying it off with no end in sight.

Don't assume that, since I'm a Christian and I'm disgusted with the glee at another human's suffering that I agree with what Falwell believes. The man seems to have picked and chosen which verses from the Bible he liked, and discarded the rest. He has, as far as I've seen, misrepresented Christ and Christianity, largely to the detrement of many people such as yourself, brim. You seem to have a concept of Christianity that is judgemental, holier than thou, and hateful. That's not what Jesus preached, and that's not what Christians should be practicing.

I perscribe to the kind of Christianity that would throw a birthday party for a prostitute, not condem them. (long story there, I'll just say I go to a really cool church)

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
OK I am not one who celebrates anyones illness or death but I find it hard to have much feeling for the man at all. But I do have one thought if karma is for real and Falwell comes back he will be all the things he preached against. So if karma is correct he will be gay in his next life.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Wow, talking about lack of respect.
If you really want to lower yourself to this guys level, then be my guest, but this thread is pretty insulting for any christian, wether they agreed with this dude or not. (most likely not)

There will always be twisted individuals that spout the most retarded crap in the name of their religion. If such a mans death is amusing and entertaining to you, then I am afraid you truly have no clue just how sad this entire situation really is.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Payback's a b*tch.

If you dish it out, maybe in the end things do balance out.

Would love to twist the knife in that piece of work.

He has brought more suffering, indignation and fear into some of the most sensitive people around.

If there is any fairness he will be a total and humble slave FOREVER.

But God always sounds like such an A-hole that it is hard to say what anyone will get.

Bless you Mathew Shepard.
Peace and joy to you.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
May he burn for all eternity in his self created Hell.

May the boil that is he be popped, and let him scream "My Goo, my precious goo!"

Amen.

"As it is written, so it be done."

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Good riddance, I hope it hurts.

I have no sympathy for this guy, he's a guy who spent his whole life spreading hatred, he has earned mine.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Good riddance, I hope it hurts.

I have no sympathy for this guy, he\'s a guy who spent his whole life spreading hatred, he has earned mine.

I hope he recovers, and if not, I pray that his pain is minimal. I can understand people feeling no sympathy for him, and must admit that he is someone who I have never appreciated at all. He has spread hatred his whole life, and done so with enthusiasm, earning the hatred of many.
Still, I do not hate him. I feel that you cannot dispell hate with more hate. That just increases the hate even more. Only love can dispell hate. If we fight hate with more hate, we are actually strengthening that which we purport to destroy. Jerry Falwell, imho, is a cretin bordering on criminal, but he will not be the source of hate in my heart. Peace be upon him.
Allah u Akbar.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join