It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want my party back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This is the thread for those that lament the hijacking of their political party, no matter what party that may well happen to be. This isn't the thread for blaming particular groups or individuals for the decline of the party. This isn't really the thread for debate, but if you do, keep it light, and be sure that you can back up your argument. Most of all, stay away from ad hominem attacks.

I want the real Democratic party back. I want the party that stands for real civil liberties and equal justice for all. I want the party that cares about the poor and stands up for their rights. I want the party that stands up for the rights of minorities and under-represented. I want the party that cares about the environment and will do what it can to make it an issue at the forefront of people's minds. I want the party that really and truly believes that war is absolutely the last resort. I want the party that doesn't spend money needlessly, but doesn't cut benefits to the point it hurts. I want the party that won't tell you what you can do and can't do in your home, much less or bedroom, or tell you who you can marry. I want the party that will come down hard on corporate criminals, and not simply let them off. I want the party that believes that giving is more important than receiving.

That said, I want the libertarian-republicans back. I want the republicans that really are for smaller government and lower government spending. I want the republicans that don't give out corporate welfare. I want the republicans really and truly believe in an individual's choice and freedom. I want the heartless republicans who don't care what you do or believe, and if you fall flat on your face, you won't bring other people down with you.

I'd rather debate these issue than some of the things being debated in the nation right now. Some of the issues shouldn't be an issue, but are simply there to work people up emotionally, only to hopefully garner their vote. There are too many people not thinking about the issues in a logical manner. Too many are simply succumbing to groupthink because they're too lazy to think about them themselves.

[edit on 3/29/2005 by supercheetah]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think I know how you will feel if this topic is abducted and taken to [email protected].

I lament that the only way center-left parties in some parts of the world are rising to power is by adopting positions to the right, forcing their right-wing mortal enemies into extreme positions or a total redesign of their policies or self-immolation.

This means that there no party remaining to representing the center-left.

But none of that counts in the archaic two party system and its ultimate four-yearly joke called the "Electoral College" every four years in the US. How about a new flavor, the old one is stale and germy.

join