It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inquirey clears Kofi Anna in trumped up 'oil for food scandel'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Although the final version of the report is not due out until june 2005, Paul Volcker's inquirey has cleared Kofi Annan.

(Paul Volcker is an ex head of the US fed reserve, clearly as unlikely a left-wing, anti-American as possible)

"There is no evidence that the selection of Cotecna in 1998 was subject to any affirmative or improper influence of the secretary-general in the bidding or selection process," the IIC report says.

The report also went on to describe Kojo Annan.

"As for Kojo Annan, the IIC report found he had "intentionally deceived" his father about his "continuing financial relationship" with Cotecna.

So, it seems all the bluster, digs and fury have amounted to nothing much at all.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The report doesn't clear him so much as it says there's not enough evidence to convict him. There's a big difference. It means there's still doubt as to his being innocent, but they won't be able to nail him in a court of law. So we just don't know for sure.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I see, so despite the fact that a torrent of dubious allegations (at best) have been found to have no basis and the report into the affair refuses to do much beyond say that some things could have been handled better still the smears continue?

Figures.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Just to add; the criticism the report does make of Kofi Annan is that he 'failed to adequately investigate the allegations made against him'.

It's surely just another return to the topsey-turvey world of the current loopy US right-wing when the 'attack dogs' on the US 'right' alledge instances of personal corruption (forcing Annan to set up an enquiry for $ 30million which could have been far better spent relieving some of the world's suffering) and that report (costing $30million) which Annan himself initiated says he could have investigated the matter more fully!

Is that really the best they could come up with after all that sh*t that they threw at him (and by extension the UN itself)?

Pathetic.

(kind of reminds me of the 'right's' laughable attempt to 'get' Clinton so many years ago.

.....and way back then those on the US 'right' were utterly incapable of seeing how detached from the vast majority they were then too.)

[edit on 30-3-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
lol yeah. It's Bush's fault that such a huge scandal happened. It's Bush's fault Coffee's son is right in the middle of this. It's Bush's fault. Always Bush's fault.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Oh man, there's a dead dog on the side of the road...

DAMN YOU, GEORGE W BUSH!!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
lol yeah. It's Bush's fault that such a huge scandal happened.

- Where did I say "Bush", hmm?

You could be honest about it though and list off the prominent members of the republican party (Bush's party IIRC) that helped give this idiotic story 'legs' along with the prominent right-wing republican supporting (Bush supporting?) hacks and commentators who were only too happy to pick this up and whine on and on about it week in week out.

You could but I doubt you will......

Coffee's son is right in the middle of this.

- Kofi's son is ....er....right in the middle of what, exactly?

$30 million and one genuinely independant enquiry later and there's not a shred of support for any of the lurid nonsense that was being claimed only a short while ago, right?

It's Bush's fault. Always Bush's fault.

- Well you might think that but personally I'd say it's symptomatic of the current laughable version of the loopy US right-wing myself.

top topics

join