It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we have a voice anymore??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
This is about all the choices that those we cannot see/hear who make a detrimental decision(s) for *US*/ME..where are the rights? Where is the freedom anymore? For crying out loud, we can't even own a certain breed of dog anymore in certain states in America. Yeah, that's right incase some of you did not know this, you cannot own certain breed standards in numerous states right here/there in the good ole America the land of the "what?"...I see the *F* word slowly fading off into the distance. Do any of you see this? What happened to the 20%for banning dogs and 80% against it when it was decided anyway to ban those breeds??

I know you think this is quite minor, but look closely, we are losing our rights everyday right under our noses...and there is not a thing we can do about it, except sit and watch and wave *bye bye*

Magestica

arc

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
dogs?! please elaborate for the benefit of this uninformed yorkshire lass. The only reason I can think of for banning certain breeds of dogs is that it's either bad for the health of the dog, or the combination of breeds used leads to a particularly violent creature.

and what other rights have you lost?

Over here I'm not aware of anything I can't do now that I could do 10 years ago

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Just curious.........what breeds are you talking about and what states don't allow them?

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   
To me it's a right just like anything else. And yes they've been banned because of the *people* and what the *people* do, yet the breed is to blame?! Again, though it doesn't matter to me that a certain color has been banned or a dog-it is our right and it's taken away..And like I said it was majority who said no ban-yet it was still done?? This is what I'm talking about when I say "Do we have a voice anymore?"

BTW..the breed is American Pitbull Terrier, or anything coming close in standards..meaning if I stay in certain counties in Maryland *they* being the government/police can come and confiscate and destroy (KILL) my dog because of what *some* people have done to that breed...How about confiscating and destroying those involved in the soon extinction of this breed??
Magestica

(Yea, and I'm sure it would be VERY different if that breed were a T Cup poodle or Yorky)

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Just type in APBT banning, you'll find there are hundreds of links to what cities/states have the ban on them and why and so on..

AGAIN-this is not my point really, the point is, we DO not have a voice anymore in America. This just proves it, and like I said before, does this matter any less that it's a dog breed?
Magestica

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I see that you are talking about a bigger issue here, but I found this info on the smaller problem...

How to get your voice back:
www.rott-n-chatter.com...

I am personally TERRIFIED of pitbulls but agree that people should have a right to own one if they take care of it and keep it chained and enclosed. (Not much of a life for a dog).

arc

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   
dogs aside I think there is a rather vast loophole in both the British and American idea of democracy. You have the right to vote for who you want to see in power, and then they do what they like and until the next election you're stuck with them.

I know it would be difficult to implement, but wouldn't it be nice if they could adapt some of the technology used by certain tv shows where anyone watching that program gets a vote ('press the red button on your remote NOW'). We could have a daily current affairs program with a votable list of all the decisions and legislation going through, which whoever was watching could vote on. If they used this in addition to the votes already inside the government perhaps it would give a clearer picture of public opinion. Public access government anyone?

*stops waffling and skips back off to la-la land*

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The thing is, is that America is not a democracy in that their is only a view popular votes and the biggest one that means anything is the senatorial and representorial elections. After they are voted in they can do what ever they damn well please. The catch is that they might not get voted back into office. This is why this is happening because people do not always stick to their word on what they will do on certain issues because they seem small to them.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I agree with what Venus is eluding to and indicating.
Alot of the states, like mine, forbid certain breeds of dogs.
I cannot give full reasons why, but in light of 'over-breeding'......the species....pit-bull, german shepherd, etc., tend to lose mental coherence and stability....causing attacks and mutilations, leading to impounding the dog and further leading to its being "put to sleep".
Thats only one reason I can think of, but I am sure there are other reasons. I didn't stay up on the banning of so and so breed of dog being banned but it was probably due to the fact that I didn't have a dog.

regards
seekerof

new topics

top topics

join