It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the pope be put on life support?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
www.chron.com...

The pope already has a breathing tube, and now....

Pope John Paul II may have to return to the hospital to have a feeding tube inserted, an Italian news agency reported today. It stressed that no decision had been made.

This is something that is going to happen eventually, so I wonder what is in place for the pope. How long would they keep im alive?

I thought that if he is the messenger of Christ, that he would have to accept death when it came and not prolong his own life, in essence cheating death. Is that in iteself a mortal sin?

note-I hope I do not offend anyone, I was rasied Catholic-light ( Easter and Christmas mass, or when grandman stayed over).

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I also don't want to offend but I've been curious about this myself. Shouldn't he be excited about going up to the kingdom of heaven or something?

It's not like he's commiting suicide, he's old, frail and lived a long and productive life, he's just shutting down, and to let it happen natural doesn't seem a sin to me, but then again I'm not an expert on what is or is not sin.

Spiderj

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Pope John Paul II may have to return to the hospital to have a feeding tube inserted, an Italian news agency reported today. It stressed that no decision had been made.

Given how they've decreed in the Schiavo situation, looks like he's going on the tube, and the Church will be left without a verbal pontiff.

To do otherwise would be a pretty public sign of hypocracy, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
It's not like he's commiting suicide, he's old, frail and lived a long and productive life, he's just shutting down, and to let it happen natural doesn't seem a sin to me, but then again I'm not an expert on what is or is not sin.

Spiderj

I have often wondered this myself.

For someone who supposedly believes in a heavenly kingdom, he sure is trying pretty hard to stay here.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well taking in consideration his advance age if he is conscious he can make his own mind about what he wants .

If I was told that the person I care for is beyond rehabilitation and possible recuperation and he needs to be kept alive by meanings of help I will weight the pros and cons.

But if that person is awake and conscious then it will be his decision as what he wants to do.

I guess it goes down as how much the family is willing to keep their love one after knowing that is not help for their condition.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The irony of this situation is just too classic. I'm certainly not trying to compare Schiavo and the Pope except for their "life support/feeding tube" situation. Has anyone heard anything about whether or not the Pope has made it clear yet whether or not he would "choose life support" or "starving to death" should that situation arise here in the future??? If not, someone may want to get something in writing before it gets handed over to the legal system. Cause if you thought the Schiavo case was a media frenzy, just imagine the same thing but with the Pope!!! It will make OJ look like a 15 min. episode of Divorce Court.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I suppose if he's on artificial respiration, he could be taken off and allowed to suffocate without being hypocritical with the tube ruling (unless Vatican City has made euthanasia legal, which I seriously doubt). Doesn't Catholic doghma hold that suicide lands one in purgatory though?
Seems he's kind of trapped by his own doghma here...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I can't believe that he is still alive. I really believed he would pass in March of this year. I don't think he should go on a feeding tube, but if he does, I think he needs to agree to step down at this point. Its time for the next in line to take his place.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I don't believe it's an option...not something you can resign from, the designation of Pope is until death. No such provisions I'm aware of (though perhaps a hardcore Catholic knows more on such things)...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
great responses...

With the pope, Is it his choice or the Vatican? I have often wondered also if the president can have a DNR. Would it be against the law to tell someone they cannot die?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The thing is there is a major difference between Schiavo and the Pope. Schiavo is on a feeding tube because her brain is not functional. The pope would have to go on a feeding tube because his health is failing due to old age. This would not become a legal battle I believe because, unlike Terri Schiavo, who could live to be as old as any normal person, the Pope would die soon because of his age. Hope I made myself clear with that one.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The big deal with Terri is that she can't communicate her wishes, so the law says the spouse would best know what those wishes are, and so she's having someone speak for her.

As far as I know, the Pope can still communicate to SOME degree, though for how long who knows.

Brain damaged, life expectancy, etc. are NOT the factors here really. In BOTH cases, we have patients in TERMINAL conditions, who require artificial support to live. So, in the event the Pope is unable to communicate, WHO decides on the tube in or out? That will CERTAINLY be a legal issue....though likely one that will go to the state (i.e. Vatican City) without a fuss. Different land, different laws.

Still, for the Pope, or the Vatican, to either not opt for a feeding tube, or to euthanize the Pope, would be the greatest hypocracy of the Church in recent times, and certainly prove that what's good for the goose, is not good for the gander... Not to mention the question of suicide and Purgatory. Heck, if the Pope goes to Purgatory, not much hope for the rest of ya....
(kidding there a little...just trying to lighten the mood)

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i heard the reason that the pope wanted to stay alive was because the tribulation period is going to start when he dies. That would make some sense would it not? I guess it all depends on what we believe. I don't see it starting when he dies.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The Pope is still alive? I thought he was just being propped up and shaken a bit to appear alive the last several times he's made public appearances. I understand they are having trouble replacing him because they want someone that hasn't molested young boys and so far they haven't been able to find anyone in the Catholic Church that hasn't.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I don't believe it's an option...not something you can resign from, the designation of Pope is until death. No such provisions I'm aware of (though perhaps a hardcore Catholic knows more on such things)...

The pope can resign. I think the last one to resign was many hundreds of years ago, so its not likely the current one will.

"There are not many precedents for papal resignations -- but they exist. Four popes have abdicated. Clement I, number three after Peter, in 97; Pontian, in 235, to allow a successor to take over when he was carted off to Sardinia and the mines; Benedict IX, in 1045 (though he made a comeback); and Celestine V, in 1294, the last pope to resign)."
www.natcath.com...
an old article but with some info...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Thanks....I stand corrected on that...

I know I've heard to death somewhere though...interesting.

Anyhow, at least that's good news for the faithful I suppose...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
F*ck u Zabilgy. F*ck you
I dont care If I get a warn

[edit on 3/29/2005 by Croat56]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I agree with Croat...that was both unnecessary and completly unrelated to the discussion.

new topics

top topics

join