It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
O.K This is my first thread so bear with me.

So more and more scientist are coming out of the wood works to admit that global warming is a reality. Everything I ever hear is usually in regards to rising levels of CO2, and other green house gasses, being responsible for this.Whether or not this is entirely due to human activity remains to be seen.

My question is: Could there be other factors which are contributing to global warming, other than the ones popularly expressed in the media?

I ask because it seems as if the draining of oil from within the earths interior crust, should have some reprucussions. I mean is not petroleum an insulator?

If anyone has any information on how the planets oil depletion could be linked to global warming, it would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
In regards to oil being an insulator, the answer is no. The N2 pumped into the oil fields as they are drained is a BETTER insulator.

Its hard to isolate sources for the change since the earth has always been changing.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yeah who cares about the change it's gonna happen anyway, even though we are speeding it up a bit there are far more pressing issues to deal with. Top amoung them IMO is to stop spewing toxic # into the air. My lungs can barely handle it as it is. If it gets worse I might be forced to move to a dryer climate. We should restore wetlands we drained, as they are very effective at treating contaminated water. Lots of problems C02 is not all that toxic to humans but the other by-products that is emitted with the C02 is the real problem IMO. We still have to worry about the Ozone hole as well, as some countries continue to use CFCs despite the ban. Anyways it's still a good idea to get away from burning stuff, nature does alot of that already we shouldn't be adding to it IMO.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
In regards to oil being an insulator, the answer is no. The N2 pumped into the oil fields as they are drained is a BETTER insulator.

Its hard to isolate sources for the change since the earth has always been changing.

Could you please supply some links to support this.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have a lot of info on this topic, actually.

We burn the oil. It makes C02. This traps in heat. We get warmer.

The oil is not at a level where any significant heat exists, or is anywhere near to being important. You'd have a better shot with linking global warming to volcanoes.

Or, you know, cars.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have a question too. Is there anything horrific about global warming? I mean, I like warm weather, and I am not talking about the liberal new england summers of 88 degrees F with 30% humidity, I am talking about 97 degrees F with 96% humidity. The hotter it gets the less clothes right? Besides Texas winters are far too cold. It actually snowed here in Houston this past X-Mas!!!

To answer the question originally at hand, I suppose you mean CO2 emmissions from automobiles? Then yes. If you mean to say volcanoes, solar flares, rotational patterns of the earth, tilt, wobble, methane leaks, and climate cycles coupled with CO2 emmissions, then I would have no clue. I get all my info from the media on global warming. Sorry for being useless.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You may also wish to have a look at what is called 'Global Dimming', which is closely related to so called 'Gloabl Warming'. It's rather too much information to explain in one post so I'll add in a few links for those interested.

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.globalissues.org...

www.commondreams.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Relationship to global warming

Some scientists now consider that the effects of global dimming have masked the effect of global warming, and that resolving global dimming may therefore have a major and previously unpredicted impact on temperatures and sea levels. Initial work to incorporate the effects of global dimming suggest that world temperatures may rise by 2 °C by 2030, and as much as 10 °C by 2100; this is a doubling of the widely accepted figure of a 5 °C rise in global temperature this Century. If this were to be so, such large increases would lead to the melting of the Greenland icecap, major reductions in the extent of tropical rainforests, and significant rises in sea levels.

A further speculation is that such a rise in temperature would trigger a rapid and irreversible release of the huge deposits of methane hydrates currently locked beneath the ocean floor, releasing methane gas, one of the most powerful of the greenhouse gases. A similar mechanism is one of the theories proposed to explain the Permian-Triassic extinction event approximately 252 million years ago, and the extinctions associated with the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum around 55 million years ago. It is estimated that it took the planet as long as 100,000 years to recover to a "normal state" following the Thermal Maximum.

apc

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Man, I knew I should have left that catalytic in there... sorry Earth.

Yes.. yes.. I know, I know. Bite me.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
I have a question too. Is there anything horrific about global warming? I mean, I like warm weather, and I am not talking about the liberal new england summers of 88 degrees F with 30% humidity, I am talking about 97 degrees F with 96% humidity. The hotter it gets the less clothes right? Besides Texas winters are far too cold. It actually snowed here in Houston this past X-Mas!!!

To go for the extreme, ice will melt, lots of ice. TONS of ice. Water levels rise, crap dies, etc.

Also, I don't mind the heat, the humidity man, ouch! Lucky you, but for the rest of us, and, you know, Mother Earth and whatnot, its a major drag.

top topics

join