It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld Sued: It's Time for Some Accountability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Arkan Mohammed Ali, a 26 year-old Iraqi who was detained and tortured, is at the center of a lawsuit filed against Sec. of Defense Donald Rumsfeld by the ACLU and Human Rights First. The lawsuit contends Ali was unjustly detained and tortured and eventually let go with no charges ever being brought against him. It is said 70-90 percent of Iraqi detainees were mistakenly apprehended. God knows how many of them were brutalised for no good reason. What is going on is sick and an anathema to everything the USA supposedly stands for. Rumsfeld is the boss of defense. It is his job to ensure the men and women serving under him are acting in accordance with the laws of our military and the Geneva Conventions. That is not happening and he must be held accountable for this lawlessness.

Is No One Accountable?
By BOB HERBERT

Published: March 28, 2005

he Bush administration is desperately trying to keep the full story from emerging. But there is no longer any doubt that prisoners seized by the U.S. in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere have been killed, tortured, sexually humiliated and otherwise grotesquely abused.

These atrocities have been carried out in an atmosphere in which administration officials have routinely behaved as though they were above the law, and thus accountable to no one. People have been rounded up, stripped, shackled, beaten, incarcerated and in some cases killed, without being offered even the semblance of due process. No charges. No lawyers. No appeals.

Arkan Mohammed Ali is a 26-year-old Iraqi who was detained by the U.S. military for nearly a year at various locations, including the infamous Abu Ghraib prison. According to a lawsuit filed against Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Mr. Ali was at times beaten into unconsciousness during interrogations. He was stabbed, shocked with an electrical device, urinated on and kept locked - hooded and naked - in a wooden, coffinlike box. He said he was told by his captors that soldiers could kill detainees with impunity.
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I think this is great news ECK, but I really have to wounder if anything will come from it or will Ali get his you know what caped. I would really like to see this take off. I guess we will have to wait and see.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Finally, a victim who knows the rules and pushes his position.

Expect lots of stonewalling from the administration. No notes and evidence.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
Finally, a victim who knows the rules and pushes his position.

Expect lots of stonewalling from the administration. No notes and evidence.

Well, they learned from Clinton how to try to prevent any kind of accountability.

I hope this goes to trial. It'll be interesting to see what comes out in the court. However, how does this work? Can a foriegn national sue an American in American court? I mean, the Constitution of the United States applies to the United States, not the world, and the US is not the international court. The UN has one of those, and we're not part of it.

Now the really depressing part about this is, no matter the outcome, Rumsfeld will be looked at in an even poorer (is this possible?) light by the left. If he's found guilty, there will be a lot of "I told you so" going on, but if he's found innocent, it will be because of a cover-up. Y'all have already made up your minds on his guilt, and if the evidence doesn't support that, it's only because the administration hid it.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
I think this is great news ECK, but I really have to wounder if anything will come from it or will Ali get his you know what caped. I would really like to see this take off.

If Rumsfeld actually was found guilty in this case it would be a huge blow. It would re-assert the rule of law - and that NO ONE is above it. That is what I most wish for.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
If Rumsfeld actually was found guilty in this case it would be a huge blow. It would re-assert the rule of law - and that NO ONE is above it. That is what I most wish for.

Even if he's innocent?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Even if he's innocent?

I've read the torture memos and reports. It's systemic from top to bottom, methodically developed. No two ways about it.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Even if he's innocent?

I've read the torture memos and reports. It's systemic from top to bottom, methodically developed. No two ways about it.

So then what's the point of a trial? You already know he's guilty, why don't we just take his money, throw him in jail, execute him, whatever without any due process since the facts are already known and we all know he's guilty?

Heck, what's the point of the legal system in general? From watching the news, reading people's blogs, and doing research on the internet, we all know who's guilty before they go into court, and if they're found innocent it's a farce (OJ). Let's just get rid of the legal system and put the media in charge of justice. They put out the memos, they put out the reports, and there's no additional information, so we know who's guilty before the trial even starts.

Guilty until proven innocent, gotta love it!

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The "tip of the iceberg" phenomenon again.

Thank goodness US taxpayers can front for the crimes of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Wolfowitz, Ashcroft, Gonzales and a cast of dozens.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It'll be interesting to see what comes out in the court. However, how does this work? Can a foriegn national sue an American in American court? I mean, the Constitution of the United States applies to the United States, not the world, and the US is not the international court. The UN has one of those, and we're not part of it.

Technically this can be done. Otherwise all and sundry from sunny wherever in the US0fA can commit crimes anywhere in the world and take the USA as a refuge and haven. They may have defences like sovereignty to argue immunity etc. But, let's see....

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Guilty until proven innocent, gotta love it!

The hypocrisy in your comment is astounding.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Well this is something that probably Rumsfeld by able to get out of it, after all Bush made very clear that "Nobody will be held accountable under his administration of any wrong doings"

Well he made it clear and public..............or it was Clinton the one that said that.

Our present administration is above the law.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Bush made very clear that "Nobody will be held accountable under his administration of any wrong doings"

Well he made it clear and public..............or it was Clinton the one that said that.

They are one in the same.

I actually think Clinton is the son Poppy Bush wishes he'd had.

new topics

top topics

join