It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming's Silver Lining (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Researchers and environmentalist are saying that earths temperatures are on the rise. They hope it's not too late to change the negative effects of everything from the melting icecaps to mass extinctions. Global warming is irreversable according to some scientists. Others are searching for the silver lining.

www.wired.com
Earth's temperature is on the rise, researchers say, and environmental watchdogs are howling, hoping it's not too late to avert negative effects that could range from melting icecaps to mass extinctions.

Some scientists, however, now think global warming is irreversible. In light of this sobering view, certain economists and scientists are searching for a silver lining. While the good news they find might not be global, some researchers believe the benefits of Earth's warming will help compensate for the harmful consequences.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In Brittain there are 20,000 to 40,000 deaths a year, related to cold weather. So warmer weather would lower the death rate. When a heat wave comes through it can kill thousands of people, like in France 2003, 10,000 people died. They say the problem with warmer weather is that it usually brings a surge of malaria or bacterial disease. Global warming may have a positive economic impact on agriculture. Longer growing seasons, fewer frosts and more parcipitation and other things could benefit farmers.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Ycon]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
There are a few grammatical and spelling errors in there. I will vote yes once you correct them.

I would have U2U'd you, rather than post it here, but I know not who you are.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Quoting from Ycon:
"Global warming may have a positive economic impact on agriculture. Longer growing seasons, fewer frosts and more precipitation and other things could benefit farmers."

Also, huge new territories could then be cultivated for the first time, like Siberia and northern Canada. On the other hand, other lands would dry up. The problem is how to calculate the global gains vs. the losses. In the end, will there have been more of the former, or more of the latter?

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Macrento]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Oh this is some good spin.

I would like to research this some more and find out if any of these scientists that are trying to find a silver lining, are the same ones who denied global warming in the past.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Here is your silver lining :

currents.ucsc.edu...

BTW: maybe the u.s. government already had such "irreversible" report from Jason or something and it would make little sense to sign Kyoto ?

Anyway, there MUST be I assume what-if reports in posession of the dod and oil companies to propose plans that focus on maintaining the profit in a "hot" market..

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Silenus]

top topics

join