It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New MRI Scan May Help Gauge Brain Cancer Treatment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
US researchers report that a special type of MRI can help doctors and patients decide whether a brain tumor treatment is working. The new MRI scan uses magnetic resonance imaging to track the movement or diffussion of water through the brain. Tumor cells block the flow of water, so if the treatment works and kills the tumor cells, more water flows which would show up on this new type of MRI scan.

news.yahoo.com
A special type of MRI scan could help doctors and patients decide quickly whether treatment for brain tumors is doing any good, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

The scan uses magnetic resonance imaging to track the diffusion, or movement, of water through the brain.

Tumor cells block the flow of water, so as those cells die, water diffusion patterns change, and the new MRI technology can track it, the team at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This new type of MRI scan will help many people with their tumor treatments. The advances of technology always surprise me. Someday they will have a cure for all cancers and tumors.

They did a study with 20 people that had malignant brain tumors. Usually it takes 10 weeks to see if chemo or radiation therapy is working, now they have answers within 3 weeks.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
really interesting -- thanks -- dh's cousin just died of brain tumor a couple of weeks ago so it is something fresh in our minds right now. I doubt it could have made a difference for him - but for so many it can be a great tool to know if what they are doing is helping or if they should try something else

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This new type of MRI might not save lives but if in as little as 3 weeks the doctors can adjust treatment, it could be the difference between life or death. I don't know how radiation or chemotherapy works but I know it weakens the body. If they had to wait 10 weeks before, a patient might of been too weak to change to a different treatment right away.

join