It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkeys admission into the Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The situation with turkey wanting to become apart of the European Union and many oppisition has been around for years.We`v heard excuses that its way too big,way too different culture and that its an Islamic country.

Some have welcomed Turkey into joining,Tony blair being one of them and the Greece being a national surpporter.I am happy that Turkey has made an effort to join and i believe that it will strengthen ties and bring Europe closer to many other islamic and arab nations and we will grow to understand the culture more.

Turkey isnt just some other Islamic nation.For centuries it has been the stepping stone from Europe to Asia/persia.It has had many wars with various countries and played a great role in many of the crusades.Turkey has also being influence by European culture.I believe that it is slowly becoming not just an Islamic nation but and European Islamic nation and if allowed into the union will allow more open trade and more of a closer relationship with many middle eastern nations.

What are many of your thoughts on Turkeys membership into the Union?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The first point I think that needs to be remembered is that no matter what happens we are a long way off of full Turkish membership of the EU.

But, ultimately, if Turkey freely chooses to meet the EU entry requirements and continues to wish to join I can see no real reason why not.

(.....and those entry requirements entail a host of human rights advances for Turkish society which can only be welcomed IMO.)

Since Roman times Turkey has had the closest links to the rest of Europe and her important geo-political position as part European and part asian will always ensure that this is so.

If Greece can get over years of fear, suspicion and outright emnity and begin to normalise relations why on earth shouldn't everyone else?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Turkey is in Asia not Europe. Why should they be let in? Whats next Korea wanting to join the European Union? I hate what Turkey did when they were the "Ottoman Turks"

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Yes, I would also have a problem with letting Turkey in the EU. With border constraints lifted, it would be much easier for those who wish to do ill-harm to enter into mainland Europe.

Turkey also needs to get their act together, economically-wise.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Although I don't like the EU I see no reason why Turkey can't join as long as they stick to the rules (although others don't) and don't cause any major problems.

Similar Thread:
Turkey and the EU

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Turkey straddles Europe and Asia.

Since long before Roman times there has been a strong and significant connection between Turkey and the rest of Europe and that will continue whether Turkey joins the EU or not.

Turkey has made great strides recently in terms of her human rights and economically.

Maybe they will and maybe they won't but I can see no real reason why not if all the entry conditions are met.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Turkey should be let in, by admitting a democratic muslim nation into what has so far been a fairly successful economic union it would show the Arab world the benefits of democracy.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Allowing Turkey in Europe won't show anything to the arab world. Turks are not arabs, and they're not culturally close to arabs.

Also, the excuse that a muslim country should not be considered as a reason to prevent them in, is close to racism. In Belgium, for instance, the muslims are the second religious population, after catholics, and they just might turn out to be the first ones in a few years... The fact that the culture attached to the muslim religion is not compatible with our way of life in here is an excuse used by those non tolerant people. On the other hand, I must admit that no religion has to be used as an excuse to do something that is against the law (like the tradition of killing a sheep, or other things).

Now, even with that said, I am against letting Turkey in European Union. Turkey is for the most part in Asia. This is European Union. After Turkey, what? Syria? Israel? Morocco? No no no... Sorry. This is Europe and full stop. We must impose geographical limits to it, and I think the limit is there.

But then, even if they're not in Europe or in the European Union, it does not at all prevent the full cooperation and the best friendship.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by SpookyVince]

new topics

top topics

join