It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination in religious schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just under a year ago I attended a christian private school for a bit. It was like something from 7th heaven. All the kids talked about how great the school was and how god was the greatest. Now i am christian so I wasnt against them but they were pretty annoying. They seemed like clones. I felt they were being brainwashed from the beginning. They were all goody goodies. They had been going to this school for awhile and they were like mentally stuck in there. They knew nothing about the "real" outside world. I despised them so much.

Anyway, I came in the middle of the year. At that time I was into the darker side of life. Gothic, you could say, with a little twist. I got moved there because school issues and other problems. I came in to my first class the first day and I knew already this was going to be tough. Of course I was dressed in all black, with converse. From then on the teachers discriminated me. The principal was the worst of all, he was the head pastor too. He looked at me like I was stupid and worthless, becuase the way I dressed and I knew it. Every time we had bible class and they asked if anyone wasnt "saved" they always looked into my eyes. They were absolutely stunned when I told them I WAS saved. I got in trouble for having the Sex Pistols on my binder, they told me they promoted "cutting your wrists".

I was very good. I was almost top student with my grades, I said yes m'am and yes sir to all teachers. I was very obediant becuase I didnt want them to perceive me how they had been doing. I thought they shouldnt judge me for my choice of dress. I was good all up into the ending months. I got fed up with them, especially the head pastor/principal. I had streaked my hair red and spiked it in front of my face. I was sent to the bathroom to change it cause they said I looked like the devil. I was going for that look at all, ha. I made a disturbance in the class, when I said I didnt want to work one day. Since it was a small school, I was the talk of the whole school. They sent me to a room where I was confined in what looked like their storage room. I was talked to and the principal had wanted to spank me. psh. He didnt but I know for sure if he did he would've had something coming to him, aka "where the sun dont shine". Anyway they didnt do it and when my parents found out they got me out of the school ASAP.

What I was wondering is, has anyone ever encountered something like this or known anyone who has encountered this kind of situation where they were discriminated in a religious school?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yes. At my religous school, one girl was found out to be a Unitarian. The principal pulled her into the office and lectured her on how her soul was going t hell and when revival came around a bunch of people prayed over her and tried to convert her.

Unitarians are extremely liberal Christains.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
whoa

thats messed up

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
WOW A RELIGIOUSE SCHOOL WHERE THE KIDS TALK ABOUT RELIGION! Seriously at the school I went to no one really talked about it unless it was time for theology. Geese when I went to St. Peters the kids were all like steeling and doing drugs. At least they did after I left

Edit: Its actually all the kids in my town. Dam port is going down the toilet.

The school I went to never discriminated against religion. Hell they let jewish, hindu, protistent kids in.

[edit on 3/28/2005 by Croat56]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I never had to deal with this type of stuff because I went to a public school. I'm wondering though, thislibertine, what did you mean when you said you didn't want to work that day?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well they kept "pushing" and "poking" at me in a way. In a sense that they kept discriminating me little by little. Being a teen I just got fed up one day and I was like "I'm not doing your *hit anymore", blah blah blah, cussing, blah blah, cussing, etc... yea I just couldnt handle them. I felt like I was imprisoned. I felt that I was being put down then made to work, becuase my soul "needed" it, thats what they said. This was in bible study class.

[edit on 3/29/05 by thislibertine]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
the only discrimination i know about is with teachers. catholic schools here are public funded. as such they are not suppost to disciminate in either hireing practices or students. my freind has done several years of long term temp work. at 3 differant schools in the region. no complaints. i know a teacher in one of the schools and they confirmed this. he has even done 2 mabe even 3 years in his last one. the position he was teaching in and had the teachables for had an opening. the department head wanted him. but a catholic teacher without the same standards ie did not have currant teachables was hired instead. he had been told the year before by another teacher that the catholic schools would generaly not give a non catholic a perminant possition but would only keep them as long term supply sometimes for over 5 years.

btw a "teachable" means that a teacher is qualified by the provence to teach a paticular subject, it is not totaly nessisary to have it but is supost to be strongly recomended. in all honesty aparently supply teachers don't even need a teaching licence.longterm supply possitions are temp possitions used for things like maternity leave,long term illness ect. it basicaly means you do not nessisaraly have a possition the next year, unlike a permanant possition. i'm nopt sure but i believe the pay is lowwer as well pluse no benifits.

it seems that the catholic schools will hire any catholic teacher at the drop of a hat while ignoring the law by only hireing non catholics on a temperary basis. now if they were privatly funded i would have no problem with that but as they are publicly funded they should have to follow fair hireing practices acording to the law.

new topics

top topics

join