It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Death Penalty Tossed Over Bible Verses

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The Supreme Court in the state of Colorado has overturned the death penalty conviction because members of the jury studied bible verses during deliberation. Robert Harlan was convicted in 1995 for the rape murder of a 25 year old cocktail waitress. In issuing the ruling the courts stated that at least one juror may have been influenced by passages such as "eye for eye, tooth for tooth". The Assistant District Attorney for the case is reviewing the options including an appeal to a higher court.

story.news.yahoo.com
DENVER - The Colorado Supreme Court on Monday threw out the death penalty in a rape-and-murder case because jurors had studied Bible verses such as "eye for eye, tooth for tooth" during deliberations.

On a 3-2 vote, justices ordered Robert Harlan to serve life in prison without parole for kidnapping 25-year-old cocktail waitress Rhonda Maloney in 1994 and raping her at gunpoint for two hours.

The jurors in Harlan's 1995 trial sentenced him to die, but defense lawyers discovered five of them had looked up Bible verses, copied them down and talked about them while deliberating a sentence behind closed doors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This has been a bad week for religious extremism. No I am not equating this case directly to the whole Schiavo mess, but it really shows that religion and the law should be kept wholly separate. As witnessed by the legislative shenanigans in the Schiavo case and now this, it simply is a bad mix. It is my hope that these groups massively have over played thier hand and thier influence is at its zenith and will begin to wane.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
You'd hope in the most powerful country in the world there can be a seperation of church and state.

why did they have a bible at such a sensitive time?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I don't get it what the bible has to do with the deliberation of the jury? what the whole jury was on bible studies during the deliberation?

It should be a mistrial due to religious blindness.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azza
You'd hope in the most powerful country in the world there can be a seperation of church and state.

why did they have a bible at such a sensitive time?

But azza, there has never been a seperation of church and state and probably never will be.

What I dont understand is why the jury reversed the desicion now? Why was it brought back to their attention now?

Religous blindness??? Why is that religous blindness?

[edit on 28-3-2005 by Ignignot]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
what exactly i dont understand here is the significance. if i were to read a book where a murderer got the death penalty for his crimes during deliberation, would that have 'influenced' my decision also? this is just halfassed blind stepping and fetching to try and derail the ?justice? system, using the religion card as proof. by the way, there is nothing in the constitution to the effect of seperation fo church and state, it does not exist. stating that this is a nation made by christians in the image of christian belief is FAR removed from forcing christianity on all of the populace. the time is coming, infact it is near at hand...

[edit on 3-28-2005 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The jury did not reverse it, it was reveresed by a higher court on appeal

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It's amazing those who use that passage from the bible to justify murder, killing, war, violence, Yet they completely disregard the passage that refutes it. The Teachings of Christ from the Mountain.

Matthew 5 verses 38 - 45

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. 43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Phae

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Oh, ok, thank you for ending my confusion FredT

well Phaetor, eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, is from the old testament, and Jesus did refute alot of the old jewish teachings in there. So it is almost like using the theory of the earth is the center of the universe to make desicions in todays world

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
This has been a bad week for religious extremism.

Thank God!

It is my hope that these groups massively have over played thier hand and thier influence is at its zenith and will begin to wane.

You and me both. But over-confidence, like delusion, is hard to recognize when suffering from it. Hopefully everyone seeing their true theocratic colors this soon will prevent them from doing any more damage.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT) (Someopne should bring this one up in the Schaivo case)

Kill Witches
You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers
A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad
Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Cursing Parents
1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

Death for Adultery
If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication
A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
There was a similar story last week on AP, only in that case the judge told lawyers not to select Jews for jurors, because they do not believe in the death penalty. Bad week indeed I would say.

Prosecutor testifies he tainted jury in death penalty case

Associated Press

SAN JOSE - A former California prosecutor testified yesterday that he colluded with a judge to exclude Jews from the jury in a capital case that ultimately sent the defendant to death row.

John "Jack" Quatman said he and the late Alameda County Superior Court Judge Stanley Golde, at the judge's urging, conspired to shape the jury so it would likely send the killer to San Quentin State Prison

www.marinij.com...

[edit on 3/28/2005 by shots]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Lord have mercy FredT, all of the above will take care of the growing population in this world.

I think that not to many people will be left to live after the bible rules.

Only the littler children but only if they are baptized.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Good find shots, I missed that one and its right in my back yard. Wow I cannot believe that they would even attempt to do that as it will get out eventually and heads will roll once it does.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I believe the concept of an eye for an eye, predates the bible.
Thats my opinion however.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
FredT, this Leviticus chap (sorry, I am a nasty Atheist European.....
) sounds like a bit of a nobjockey, who seems to want to put everyone to death! Surprised anyone survived at all with him around!

.....who is he anyway?

posted by Ambient Sound

This has been a bad week for religious extremism.

Thank God!

That comment was superbly Ironic!

Anyway, how can a guy get let off when he is quite obviously guilty?

[edit on 28/3/05 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Good find shots, I missed that one and its right in my back yard. Wow I cannot believe that they would even attempt to do that as it will get out eventually and heads will roll once it does.

I almost posted it as news back then but did not think it was that news worthy at the time, now I wish I would have.

Did you note the Judges name? Golde, not sure but assume it may be Jewish

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
FredT, this Leviticus chap (sorry, I am a nasty Atheist European.....
) sounds like a bit of a nobjockey, who seems to want to put everyone to death! Surprised anyone survived at all with him around!

Cheers Stumason, I am a nasty Athiest American

Yes Leviticus is quite fruit loops. Ezekiel is not far off that mark either

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
And yet the Christians are demanding that their ten commandments be placed in the courthouses of the land, when one of those very commandments is, "Thou shalt not kill."

Kinda makes you wonder if Jesus supported the death penalty, hanging there on that cross.

Any Christian that supports the death penalty is no differant than those who stood outside the prison 2000 years ago and screamed, "Give us Barrabas!" They have betrayed their guru and their god.

Lets get real here folks, if the state would kill the son of god than what chance would a flake like me have against them?

The death penalty is wrong. I do not trust the state with that much power, they have proven they aren't worthy of it.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Speration of church and state. In reality is an ideology sperated with another ideology.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTruth123
Speration of church and state. In reality is an ideology sperated with another ideology.

Not quite the truth of the matter eh? Separation of Church and state meerly ensures that one religion or ideology does not influence affairs of government that is for the people and by the people etc etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join