It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Leader: Army May Secure Iraq in 18 Months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Interior Minister of Iraq said monday that his countries army and police are capable of securing the nation in 18 months. Security was heightened for the long awaited second session of the National Assembly. They expect militants will target the National Assembly meeting on Tuesday. This is only the second meeting since the Iraqi election.

news.yahoo.com
Iraq's outgoing interior minister predicted Monday that his country's emerging police and army may be capable of securing the nation in 18 months, saying his officers are beginning to take over from coalition forces.
Insurgents, meanwhile, targeted Shiite pilgrims, setting off two blasts that killed at least three people.

Interim Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib's comments came as security was heightened in the already heavily fortified Green Zone, where the National Assembly will hold its long-awaited second session Tuesday to choose a parliament speaker and two deputies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It would be great to see the war in Iraq end in 18 months. I don't think it will. We will have to see how this meeting goes. They also have Iraqs most wanted terrorist, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi surrounded so hopefully that will help a lot.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

They also have Iraqs most wanted terrorist, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi surrounded so hopefully that will help a lot.

They have been saying that for months! Where is he? If he is surrounded, why not get him?

I think Iraq will continue for a long time. And if the Iraqi forces build up to a strength where they can combat the insurgents, they may risk either igniting further ethnic tensions, or become that which has just been deposed.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Yea what ever

Yet the Americans are still investing billions to build and fortify not only their new fortress Embassy and CIA station -- the largest in the world -- but also military bases throughout the country and in fact throughout the region.
www.middleeast.org...

[edit on 28/3/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Didn't they say 18 months 3 months ago? I think it was me who said they would keep up that mantra as long as they could.

"Only 18 months to go guys."

6 months later...

"Only 18 more months and we'll be finished."

2 years later...

"We can do it only 18 Months."

Well its only been 3 months since they repeated what they said before. Any preditions on when they say 18 months again?

Phae

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
18 mos? Nope. 18 years? I dunno.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
no I think it's bull they won't secure it there will always be insurgents attacking people the US can't really stop all of them I doubt Iraqis could in 18 months.

[edit on 3/28/2005 by thegreek]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't doubt that there will still be many who continue to fight, but they can get control of the situation in 18 months. Once the new government is in place and more police are trained, it will be easier to capture the terrorists.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
i wonder if the people keep blowing themseves up will stop if US troops leave the middle east... or will they just blow up the Iraqis instead? after we leave, if we ever will leave...

top topics

join