It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Terri Schiavo is not in Pain why give her Morphine?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
According to may right to die groups Terri Schiavo starving to death is a very painless dignified way to go

www.insidebayarea.com...

So, if it is a painless way to go why are they giving her morphine to ease the "tremendous pain associated with the dehydration and starvation she's endured for 10 days?"

www.lifenews.com...

Can someone please explain this for me?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Cause if ppl found out she was really in pain then they wouldnt be able to kill her.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
Cause if ppl found out she was really in pain then they wouldnt be able to kill her.

Exactly!

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Actually, if they keep her really doped up, it continues the appearance of being completely brain dead. After her statement last week, they couldn't have her speaking or anything again, that may show that there's hope for her or that she can form an opinion. We all know that she is now the exclusive property of Michael Schaivo and he can do with her as he pleases, and his will is to not allow Terri's will to show through.

Come on, people, what about respect for the property owner?

EDIT: Whoops, didn't mean property owner, but rather Michael Schaivo, husband. Property has more rights than Terri Schaivo.

[edit on 3-28-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Can someone please explain this for me?

Dr. David Stevens, the president of the Christian Medical Association, says "most so-called experts have never seen someone die in this manner."

If red flags aren't going off from all kinds of things in that blurb, what can I tell ya?

"Contrary to those that try to paint a picture of a gentle process, death by dehydration is a cruel, inhumane and often agonizing death," Dr. Stevens explains.

Well at least he's approaching HOSPICE with an open mind.

When Dr. Gupta (I believe it was on TV Sunday) was discussing why they still give morphine in Hospice when the patient's brain has a golfball sized hole in the cortext, he said much the same thing that the Hospice worker told me while doping my Mom long after she lost brain function.

The morphine is for the family's peace of mind. It's pretty irrelevant to the patient in that state. But if they didn't do it, we'd want them to do it.

And if Hospice wasn't giving Schiavo morphine then people from all over the country that "have never seen someone die in this manner" (which I'm assuming is most of the protestors) would be throwing themselves in front of speeding trains screaming at least give her Morphine!

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Rant,

I don't know If I completly buy into the idea that it is just for the families sake. When you step on a nail your body tells you to act by sending pain triggers to your brain. When you put your hand on a hot oven your body sends pain triggers to your brain. When you are about to die from starvation your body sends pain triggers to your brain.

At least thats what the medical books I have seen say.

tim.2wgroup.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yes I agree with Rant for personal experience with my uncle after going into coma from a gun shot to his head. He was under pain killers even when the family was told that he could not feel anything.

My father with the permission of my grandfather took the decision against my grandmother's wishes to end the life support.

His wife could not make the decision and either any of his daughters and sons 5 all together, due to the fact that she was found in suspicion of his death, and his children were under suspicion also.

So as you can see this type of things happen in other homes across American. When families has to take decisions of live and death.

This happen 26 years ago.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Black, dying of starvation isn't actually that bad. Initially it sucks, but after about 2 or 3 days of not eating, your body just kind of tunes out hunger pangs. When you start eating again after not eating for a while, you would expect that you would be ravenous and scarf everything down in a 10 mile radius, yet your appetite is really small, as is your stomach, and you just gradually come back to where you were, if you choose to. Starvation ain't a bad way to go.

Thirst is a totally different issue, though. Dying of thirst hurts, because most of your body is liquid. Your body pulls water from non-vital parts of your body to supply the vital ones when there isn't enough or any water coming in. A lot of cracking and loss of pliability happens as a result, and any kind of movement hurts.

Terri Schaivo is going to die of thirst, not starvation. If we are going to execute her as planned, and it looks like we are, we had better give her pain killers. I mean, we took away this woman't human rights, we took away her food, we took away her future, we took away her water, and we condemned her to a agonizingly long death. The least we could do is ease her pain a little while we torture her to death...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
You know what junglejake you sound just like the Catholic father on TV, just another fundamentalist in the extremist.

But guess what is not what you think or what you want to believe if the law and the right to make sure that the wishes of people are protected from crazy people with hidden agendas.

I am glad Americans has open their eyes to what is going on with the crazy extremist out there.

They don't give a darn about anything but their own views.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
just another fundamentalist in the extremist.

And proud of it. Belittle me or my beliefs all you want, I'm not going to change them because you think I'm an idiot wacko. I believe what I believe, and I know why I believe it. If you don't respect that or condemn that, I'm happy to not be respected and to be condemned. In fact, honored. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
And proud of it. Belittle me or my beliefs all you want, I'm not going to change them because you think I'm an idiot wacko. I believe what I believe, and I know why I believe it. If you don't respect that or condemn that, I'm happy to not be respected and to be condemned. In fact, honored. Thanks!

That is why make some of the extremist so dangerous Juglejake, one thing is to be a Christian and another a fundamentalist extremist.

One have reason and concern, the other ones are beyond understanding and turn violent in their pursue of ideology.

I never said you are one of the latest just that you sound like one.

[edit on 28-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
They're dangerous because they don't care if people respect them or agree with them? That would indicate that anyone who doesn't follow the crowd is dangerous. I think we're either going to have to agree to disagree, or we could start another thread, one extremist debating with another. If you start it, U2U me, because I'm about to watch the Incredibles

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Sure. Not in pain. If she werent in pain she wouldnt be getting something powerful like morphine.
I heard someone say on the radio that the pain has to be excrutiating.
I hope God takes her soon. She's already suffered enough.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
As your vital organs fail one by one as a result of lack of nutrition and hydration, and as you emaciate and develop bed sores and need to be turned regularly, you can bet your life that you will be thankful for morphine. That is why this way of dying is so painless.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
According to an article here doctors are administering morphine "not for the relief of pain but to ease her breathing — a sign that her death is likely no more than a day or two away."

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
According to an article here doctors are administering morphine "not for the relief of pain but to ease her breathing — a sign that her death is likely no more than a day or two away."

This is really odd. I would think that there were other forms of medication to ease beathing besides the most powerful pain killer. Not sure if I'm buying into that story.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I have been in a hospital and in pain and given Morphine and it did nothing for my pain. All it did was make me sleepy and after enough in me I would pass out, a terrible pain killer if you ask me. Dimerol kind of worked for me, but I think some cannabis out performs all the opiates and it doesnt kill a person if they recieve to much.

new topics

top topics

join