It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fingers Point to Male Aggression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Canadian researchers say they've found a way to help 'finger' men with physically aggressive personalities.

A University of Alberta study finds that measuring a man's index finger length relative to his ring finger length predicts his predisposition to being physically aggressive.

The shorter the index finger relative to the ring finger, the higher the amount of prenatal testosterone and the more likely the man will be physically aggressive, they researchers say.

According to the researchers, experts have known for a hundred years that the index-to-ring finger length ratio of men differs considerably from that seen in women. And more recently, research has suggested that the length of men's fingers changes depending on their exposure to testosterone in the womb.

In another study, to be published later this year, Hurd found that men with more "feminine" finger ratios tended to be more prone to depression.

SOURCE

Where in the world to they come up with these studies? I'm not trying to discount this one, but who decided to do research based on finger lengths and relate it to aggressive behavior?

Whatever happened to behavioral tendencies being linked to......oh, I dont know....how you were brought up?

I know you're all looking forward to the study on "feminine fingers".

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Heh, I read about this a few weeks back in The Science Times. Very interesting, I really have no idea who comes up with the ideas.

I checked my finger and that of my brother. I was far more predisposed to anger than he was, apparently, but in nature we are just the opposite. He is far quicker than I am to get very angry and physical. Far more. But, that probably has to do with the fact that this study is a trend, but that I'm first born and he's second.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Where in the world to they come up with these studies?

Great question.

I'm not trying to discount this one, but who decided to do research based on finger lengths and relate it to aggressive behavior?

I personally, am going against my training as a scientist by dismissing this one without having read it. This was probably thought up by the descendents of those scientists that tried to correlate head shape/size to criminal behavior in the past.

Whatever happened to behavioral tendencies being linked to......oh, I dont know....how you were brought up?

What happened? The injection of some personal responsiblity for someone.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
From knuckle to tip, my index finger is just the tiniest bit longer. I suppose that's right. Then again, it's the case of occassionally being right and never being wrong.

So from this study, I gather that females are more prone to depression and males more prone to anger.

I still fail to see how extra testosterone is related to finger length ratios. What about the poor people who's hand's are disfigured at birth? =\

This is just something interesting someone thought of, and I don't believe it has an actual practical purpose. There's easier ways and definitely more accurate ways of knowing who's aggressive - Their history.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I know you're all looking forward to the study on "feminine fingers".

I think the discussion on longer feminine fingers is best left alone.....my dirty mind already has some brilliant comments for it already!

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
On one hand, my index finger is longer than my ring finger, but on the other the ring finger is longer than the index finger. Wonder what thier study would have to say about me?

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I think the discussion on longer feminine fingers is best left alone.....my dirty mind already has some brilliant comments for it already!

Yeah, 'cause you're the ONLY one to think of THAT one.

Alan, you are prone to mood swings. You are quick to anger, but equally quick to calm down. Additionally, you have times where you take everything in stride, and others where you go right off the deep end at the slightest touch. True love is hard to find, keep looking. Try a Scorpio.

top topics

join