It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(The lost women in military thread)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
And a quick calc, not sure if my measurement is exact, but 15km comes out to only what...8 miles? That seems about right.

Odd, the minimum for guys at least Armor crewmen (hardly in need of marching), is 12 miles.

Women are equal huh? Then again, as others have also asked, why can't you keep up with the male standards?

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I notice you didn't answer me.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:35 PM
link   
No Tyriffic, we differ in beliefs a bit.

I don't believe most women can even serve as well in the battle field as a man can, and I like you don't believe they should be there.

Yet for some reason they are everywhere but in the Armor, Infantry, and Artillery.

Which is far from all the actual combat positions "Aviation and in the Navy any warship...which they can now even be on submarines though the Navy may be different, it's not so much physical anymore as just in harms way."

Though I do hold the policy of majority rule, so if the majority decided women should be in combat so be it, but we aren't voting nationally so it's debateable still

And Valhall, for good reason, I keep personals to a minimum, because it detracts from the facts.

Frankly I can spout here and tell you I'm anything, but it doesn't matter, I haven't gone into personals with DR either, which as I've mentioned to some others probably is the polarizing factor between me and him.

He...seems to feel his history justifies him. As he so often says (What's your combat expereince), life threatening? Same as him...so it's pointless...though he tries to take the high ground (I feel) with it.

I on the other hand don't believe the history of the individual matters in any way. It doesn't prove points, facts do. And while an expereince can be informational it rarely is.

[Edited on 18-7-2003 by FreeMason]

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well..

a treaded robot with a gas motor could probably march 15 miles in about 30 minutes, pause to fire a few missiles, then march on back to camp for maintenance.

Point is: The debate over which gender is stronger and better fit for military purposes... means nothing compared to the face of a machine.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Actually, I believe it would be right at 9-3/8 miles. But that was why I capitalized kilometers was to make sure nobody thought I was claiming 15 miles.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Dude, dreams, machines will never make effective soldiers.

There are so many flaws with them you can't describe it....

1) Aquisition of targets is poor.

2) Mobility is bad.

3) Intuition is negligible

3) Deduction is also negligible.

4) Adaptation must be pre-programed and is not as efficient.

5) Change in tactics is either pre-programed or it is administered by humans.

AI probably will never exist, there's more to humans than a brain. Chemical interactions have not given us this wonderful self-aware and intuitive spectrum that we encompass.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ok. Are we getting loose with the quotes??

I did not say MOST women should be in combat, I said I believed (from personal exp.) that some could.

I never said most women should serve ..........Free Mason, please put this to rest.....it will lead to nowhere...

Did you serve in the armed forces by the way???

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Tyriffic I never mentioned anything about what you said.

I know what you said.

I said that I don't believe most women could ever BE in combat effectively, they are not up to par physically, and that none should at all....

And yeah it probably won't go anywhere but its branched out in several interesting areas such as Machines replacing the soldier, and tactics versus attrition.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:56 PM
link   
FM,

So your all knowing knowledge of firearms supercedes mine???

Ok, put up or shut up.

Lets hear exactly what your firearms repertoir consists of.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well let's review.

So far the following questions have been submitted to FM without courtesy of response:

When was your last 9-3/8 or greater mile hike with full pack?

Were you in the military?

What DO you know about weaponry?

hmmm I see a pattern.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I also notice that you are giving Val hell for marching *only* 9 miles with a heavy a$$ pack, on Fort "Relaxin Jackson" as you put it.

I also noticed that she asked when was the last time *you* went on a forced march? How far, and on what base?

My last march? Granted, I dont go marching in formation on a military base, I do go traipsing about in the woods with a rather well stocked pack. My last foray was to the tune of 4 days in the Texas hill country, about 2 1/2 years ago, in the fall of 2000, tracking a fault zone. My pack weighed around 65 pounds, and I covered about 45 miles in those 4 days. I had no supply base support, my support was on my back.

And, you have accomplished what?

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Well let's review.

So far the following questions have been submitted to FM without courtesy of response:

When was your last 9-3/8 or greater mile hike with full pack?

Were you in the military?

What DO you know about weaponry?

hmmm I see a pattern.

A *cough* BS *cough* pattern

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
No I just find it funny that you all seem to think our "pasts" seem to be at question here.

If you must know last time I "marched" if you could call it that (more like a climb) was with full gear (my friends gear actually minus pistol belt and canteen though they had that), 6 miles up a mountain and back down.

Starting elevation about 6000 feet, ending elevation about 11000 feet.

Full gear for me was about 80 additional pounds.

I think 12 miles of that seems fairly adequate, but doesn't really pertain to anything.

When was the last time you climbed a mountain DR?

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I walked a mile today and two yesterday.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hmm you go traipsing around the Texas "hill country" do you.

You'd really like it here DR, it's a lot different when you climb more than 6% grades.

What is the highest elevation in Texas? Does it even amount to a mountain? (1000ft or higher).

I don't really see why everyone thinks I accomplish nothing....I do fairly well physically....

[Edited on 18-7-2003 by FreeMason]

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
When was the last time you climbed a mountain DR?

El Capitan, tallest mountain in Texas, Spring 2000.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
oh well if the feminists want equality, we can have a draft and the military machine could be twice as large

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:21 PM
link   
You'd really like it here DR, it's a lot different when you climb more than 6% grades.

You apparently havent been to the Texas Hill Country... can you say 30% grades and talus slopes? If you ever intend to get work experience in field geology, you might want to get used to those kinds of phrases, as you will get an intimate personal understanding of them... You go to the geology, you dont read about it in books.

By the way, Im not going to let you forget about shooting your mouth off about your infinite wisdom on weapons... put up or shut up.

link   
I'm in a highland regiment..i'm always going up damn mountains!!!!

did the last part of the Devils Staircase last weekend....up about 2000ft then a solid 18miles after!

link   
[Edited on 19-7-2003 by FreeMason]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join