It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: ISS Expedition 10 Spacewalk a Success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
With the success of this Spacewalk the ISS can now recieve supplies and other cargo from the ESA's Automated Transfer Vehicle. This will greatly reduce the supply load brought in from US and Russian sources.

Other activities included launching the "NanoSputnik" satellite, which will be in orbit around the ISS for about the next 100 days.

This was the second spacewalk for the Expedition 10 crew.

www.space.com
Two astronauts are safely back inside the International Space Station (ISS) after apparently breezing through an early morning spacewalk designed to prepare the orbital facility for a new cargo ship.

Chiao and Sharipov worked primarily on the space station’s Russian Zvezda service module, installing a trio of navigation antennas around its conical smaller section. The space-to-space antennas – known as WAL antennas – will be used to aid the docking operations of Europe’s Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) during future ISS-bound cargo mission.

Another piece of hardware – a global positioning system (GPS) unit attached to Zvezda during the spacewalk – will also aid the ATV, which NASA officials said is expected to arrive at the ISS sometime next year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's great to see work beingd one like this, and that it was a complete success and even completed ahead of schedule. Now if the ESA could just get its ATV up there the ISS would be set for quite a while.

I found it quite surprising when reading that the ISS wen adrift for a while during the operations. The guidance controls were deactivated in order to keep the astro- and cosmonaut from being sprayed by propellant. The gyroscopes were only supposed to last about half an hour, but lasted much longer. Now I know why there wern't any ISS flyovers listed for the near future: they have to recalculate the orbit!

Related News Links:
www.space.com
www.space.com

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Wow. Can you imagine what its like to sleep in space? Must be pretty hard to fall asleep when youre just kinda floating there with so many thoughts going through your head and I bet once you do fall asleep you have some pretty crazy dreams. I wonder what its like waking up in the station too. Wake up, then go outside and check the view out. Thats awesome stuff.

new topics

join