It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally Some Truth on Extra-Terrestrials....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
They Came From Out Of The Sky

I find it discouraging - and a bit depressing - when in I notice the unequal treatment afforded by the media to UFO believers on the one hand, and on the other, to those who believe in an invisible supreme being who inhabits the sky. Especially as the latter belief applies to the whole Jesus-Messiah-Son-Of-God fable.

You may have noticed that, in the media, UFO believers are usually referred to as buffs, a term used to diminish and marginalize them by relegating them to the ranks of hobbyists and mere enthusiasts. They are made to seem like kooks and quaint dingbats who have the nerve to believe that, in an observable universe of trillions upon trillions of stars, and most likely many hundreds of billions of potentially inhabitable planets, some of those planets may have produced life-forms capable of doing things that we can't do.

On the other hand those who believe in an eternal, all-powerful being, a being who demands to be loved and adored unconditionally and who punishes and rewards according to his whims are thought to be worthy, upright, credible people. This, in spite of the large numbers of believers who are clearly close-minded fanatics.

mod edit to reduce copy paste post taken from one of many possible sources including the one linked below.
www.virtuallystrange.net...

[edit on 27-3-2005 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What is this religious rant ? I thought I was going to hear some truth about aliens ?

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

What is this religious rant ? I thought I was going to hear some truth about aliens ?

Amen, you got me all excited and then brought me down hard.
lol.

You bring up some good points. But one cant really compare something that isnt technically proven to the public yet, with the worlds most popular religion and beliefs.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I don't know why people are complaining. I thought this was a great post and it is one of the few facts we know about UFO's. They don't get the same respect as some fanciful stories of an omnipotent God.

I believe there may be an "all powerful" of some sort but I don't pretend to know what he eats for breakfast like some people probably claim to know.

This same thing has made me angry from time to time. There is more scientifically based evidence of UFO's than there is of God. So why does God get more respect from people and media alike? Maybe because the media is controled in such a way as to keep you from any major truth.

A great post, even if it is based more on opinion than fact.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by antigovFZ777

Amen, you got me all excited and then brought me down hard.
lol.

You bring up some good points. But one cant really compare something that isnt technically proven to the public yet, with the worlds most popular religion and beliefs.

I think someone just did compare it to one of the worlds most popular religions. I also think there is good reason for it, especially if this relgion has UFO and EBE implications tied in with its origins. There's as much proof for that as there is with this religion being legit.

This is the kind of Fnord that has kept humanity in the dark for ages. It's time to move on and lead rather than follow. To grow rather than remain stagnant.

[edit on 27-3-2005 by Mandalorianwarrior]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I think most Christians believe, not by any real evidence (for there is none in the strictest sense) but by faith. In other words, their heart, not their head, speaks to them.

The difference between the deists and the UFO believers is that the latter, although they too believe by faith, expect people to buy into their particular theology as a "fact" when they have exactly the same evidence that the God-buffs have -- absolutely none.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
I think most Christians believe, not by any real evidence (for there is none in the strictest sense) but by faith. In other words, their heart, not their head, speaks to them.

The difference between the deists and the UFO believers is that the latter, although they too believe by faith, expect people to buy into their particular theology as a "fact" when they have exactly the same evidence that the God-buffs have -- absolutely none.

That's not the difference at all.
No one (at least me and most others) expects people to buy into the UFO belief, just respect the idea and not scoff at it. That was the point of his post. That people don't even respect anything that points to there being UFO's with EBE's behind the wheel when so many blindly respect the theory behind Chirstianity. There are many Christian buffs who expect people believe their religion is factually based. So many so that it's respected by the media. It's almost the opposite of what you stated if anything.

Plus, as stated before, many could argue that their is legit evidence of UFO's. Even in the Bible, incase you want to state the Bible proves God exists, which it does not.

[edit on 27-3-2005 by Mandalorianwarrior]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Um...was that whole post a quote from George Carlin's new book?

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This thread belongs in the garbage! If 2.2 billion christians believe in God/Jesus then maybe they simply have unconsciously willed this into existence.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
This thread belongs in the garbage! If 2.2 billion christians believe in God/Jesus then maybe they simply have unconsciously willed this into existence.

Then what about Budda? Allah? Ganesh? Satan? Odin? Apollo? You can't have one in existence without having them all exist. Maybe if they do exist we are just the product of their competition to see who can score the most followers, like a video game.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
it's amazing how a religion, with no proof to back it up, can close a mind. Then people fear being told they are wrong so much so and they are also so unable to prove that their religion is true, they decide to try and close threads.

It's frightening to people when they have based their entire life on a belief system that can not be proved as a the one and only correct faith. They then lash out at everything else ather than open their minds and hear everyone out.

I admit that the entire UFO debate may be bunk. I don't think it is but I can't prove it one way or the other. It's funny that relgion is so based on faith. Why do you think that is? It's because that's what keeps people under control when you can't prove something to them, faith. It reminds me of the song Opiate.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Almost no thread should be closed based on it's content. If the idea in the thread is so bad and/or wrong then people should be able to prove their point with ease. If not then what's wrong with a little debate? Isn't that why abovetopsecret.com exists, to talk about these outlandish theories? Not to keep them under wraps like certain governments may.

I can see some hate threads being shut down but even some of those should be left up in order to make hate mongers look stupid with their lame arguments.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

Unidentified flying objects do exist and there is absolute proof. I suggest you watch NASA "The smoking gun transmissions".

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think most people do believe in UFO's, but do not agree on what exactly a UFO is. Is a UFO government flying craft, alien beings from another planet or could they be humans from the future in time machines working on their PHD's in history taking a field trip to take a look at primitive man.

I have yet to see proof that UFO's are not human created crafts. This might be a Tesla invention. There is absolutely no proof at all UFO's are from outer space, this is all speculation. I have seen UFO's before but cannot say what their origion is. UFO belief is a relatively new concept, religious beliefs have been around for centuries. Religious beliefs have been sanctioned by government and people have been killed for not worshiping or professing a belief in one god or another. Therefore religion has been accepted as being true wheras UFO's have not.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeMoreCynical
They Came From Out Of The Sky

I find it discouraging - and a bit depressing - when in I notice the unequal treatment afforded by the media to UFO believers on the one hand, and on the other, to those who believe in an invisible supreme being who inhabits the sky. Especially as the latter belief applies to the whole Jesus-Messiah-Son-Of-God fable.

You may have noticed that, in the media, UFO believers are usually referred to as buffs, a term used to diminish and marginalize them by relegating them to the ranks of hobbyists and mere enthusiasts. They are made to seem like kooks and quaint dingbats who have the nerve to believe that, in an observable universe of trillions upon trillions of stars, and most likely many hundreds of billions of potentially inhabitable planets, some of those planets may have produced life-forms capable of doing things that we can't do.

On the other hand those who believe in an eternal, all-powerful being, a being who demands to be loved and adored unconditionally and who punishes and rewards according to his whims are thought to be worthy, upright, credible people. This, in spite of the large numbers of believers who are clearly close-minded fanatics.

mod edit to reduce copy paste post taken from one of many possible sources including the one linked below.
www.virtuallystrange.net...

[edit on 27-3-2005 by pantha]

As such, I have enough...

If, in any newspaper, someone talks about a child born in Afghanistan with three arms of three legs, everyone buys it without a question, and they'll say something like "my god, did you read that? This is terrible!"... Place a sign that reads "Fresh paint" on a public bench and everybody will have to touch it to verify...

Sad world...

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
My opinion is that people that hink UFO's are from outer space will be called UFO buffs untill there is concrete proof such as a UFO lands in a major city and walk out during the middle of the day. Maybe I am wrong but is there concrete proof that UFO's are from outer space?

I understand what you are saying both are pretty much beliefs with no actually physical evidence but as I said before religion has been around alot longer.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Religion and the belief in UFO's do have alot in common. Both Require a faith that is more often than not disappointed by yet another hoax or a crushing personal disappointment in life. Both have a smattering of proof of the existence of the people involved, like archaeological evidence of cities mentioned in the bible and the whole roswell cover-up.
The paralells are striking as are both groups vehemence about not being like those other psychos

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
you will not see what your mind will not accept, some would not belive
even if they walked into an alian. but some people see the vergin mary
in a piece of fruit, or the side of a building.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynomor
you will not see what your mind will not accept, some would not belive
even if they walked into an alian. but some people see the vergin mary
in a piece of fruit, or the side of a building.

On the spanish news a man claimed to have seen the virgin mary on a burnt tortia lol.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I'd have to disagree with that.

We've gone down this road before, and on a HUGE thread.

There may be no PROOF for one or the other, but the EVIDENCE is strongly on the side of UFOs here.

1. Newspaper articles of mass sightings by many credible witnesses.
2. Press release of a recovered craft.
3. Thousands of military, law enforcement, and pilot sightings.
4. Documented radar returns of such craft.
5. Government sponsored projects researching such phenomenon.
6. Millions of photos, video, even gun camera footage from combat planes.
7. Numerous civilian eyewitnesses. (and in modern times when the average Joe understands thunder isn't the anger of the Gods).

Such evidence is sorely lacking on the religion side, so to equate the two on the basis of evidence, is really ignoring the evidence that exists. So the poster's observation seems to be a good one, and an interesting example of the bias shown by the media on this issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join