It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Parents Could Pick Babies Sex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
MP's from the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee are suggesting in a new report, that parents and doctors should have more freedom in decisions made during fertility treatment. They are also calling on the fertility regulator, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, to be disbanded.

news.bbc.co.uk
A controversial Commons Science and Technology Committee report said more decisions on fertility treatment should be made by patients and their doctors.

The MPs also called for the regulator, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, to be disbanded.

And they said "taboo" research, such as implanting human cells into animals, should be considered, with regulation.

However, the report caused a severe split among MPs on the committee, with half refusing to back its conclusions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Whilst I feel that more research should be done into stem cells, cloning technology and the like for medical purposes, such as organ replacement, and other therapies for life threatening illnesses, I believe that allowing parents to choose the sex of their baby will lead to several problems.

If you look at other countries where there are limits on family size, parents tend to gravitate towards having males, which is leading to a massive shortfall of potential wives (therefore breeding partners) in these developing countries. The same could happen here.

With an already static population growth rate, and an ever ageing nation, this could spell trouble 50 years down the line when we realise that there are not enough boys or girls to satisfy the other gender. This could lead to a population crash, hurting the economy and everyone in general.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
reuters.co.uk
[edit on 27/3/05 by stumason]

[edit on 27/3/05 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I have to agree letting parents choose the sex of their children is not a good idea. As already stated more parents want sons so eventually there will be less and less females causing a major imbalance in our race.

Then you may find out that cloning of females will start, but wouldnt that mean a smaller gene pool ??

This needs to be looked at very carefully IMO.
This could turn out to be very scarey indeed.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I must admit, when my partner was pregnant with my baby, I was hoping for a boy.

Turned out to be a little girl, and she is the light of my life and wouldn't swap her for anything, but if I had the choice, she wouldn't be here today, as I wanted my first to be a son.

But, now I have had the chance to enjoy my daughter growing up (she is now nearly 18 months), like I said, I would give my life for her, and love to spend every minute with her that I can, but I fear what would have happened had things been different, and what I would have missed.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'm with stumason- my first was a girl and I (now) wouldn't change it for the world.

More boys= more wars. Fact of history.

Good find

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
i posted this before...

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Soory dude! I didn't see it on ATSNN, so I went with it.

Hopefully, this one will make it to ATSNN..

Go on, vote....you know you want too

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Good find. Should create some interesting discussion.

top topics

join