It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange light by moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
About 5 minutes ago i looked at the moon and was like wow its so bright. tonight by my area its a fairly starry night, and scince the moons so bright, you cant see any around it, except for one, which is really close to it, its above it, and boy is it bright, so my question. how is that star the only one i can see, is it because its so bright or maybe its a planet, ive never ever seen this before, so all of you that live in the EST zone, look at the moon, at my house right now its 9:37 PM.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
How nice!

Wish I could see it-lol.

Anyway have a good one.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I am sure you're just seeing jupiter, one of the brightest objects in the sky.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I am sure you're just seeing jupiter, one of the brightest objects in the sky.

Agreed - Jupiter is in conjunction with the Moon today (or thereabouts!!)

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Jupiter? AWSOME! Heres a picture i took real quick with my PocketPC. It didnt come out great but hey its a computer, not a camera.

EDIT: Noticed Jupiter isn't visible, circled about where it is for those who dont have the privilege of seeing it, perhaps someone else on ATS can get a better pic, does anyone have those digital camera binoculars that are made for star gazing?

[edit on 3/26/2005 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Definitely Jupiter... and just below the Moon is the bright star Spica.

E_T

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlfredENewman
Agreed - Jupiter is in conjunction with the Moon today (or thereabouts!!)
And because full moon was few days ago it means Jupiter is pretty exactly at opposition. This means that Earth is at such point in its orbit that we're as close to Jupiter as orbits permit.

And some way "above" Spica is even brighter star, Alpha Bootis aka Arcturus, which is ~2.5 times as bright as Alpha Virginis and fourth brightest star on the sky.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Yes, I noticed it too last night and I am in Australia, where are/were you Schmidt.

I also noticed some strange eccentricity in the relative positions of the moon and star/planet/whatever it is. I am no astronomer but I kept going back to look since this is not the first time I have seen such a thing. Mysterious or not It amazes me. Coincidentally I experienced a dream which has been recurring since childhood upon going to sleep after.

I know that the islamic symbol is in some cases a crescent moon with a nearby star. Imagine the ripples in the Islamic world if this occurs.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Here ya go.

The moon is setting now, at sometime past 4 am pacific time.

Here is a pic taken just minutes ago, by me, and my trusty Sony.

Those clouds were low, and moving fast!, hence the blurring.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Great pic' spacedoubt!

Sanc'.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
WOW great Photo spacedoubt . and on easter morning to.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That was an awsome photo. and jamesblonde, i live in pittsburgh or actually about an hour north of it, Heres my towns information, it has the coordinates on it and stuff, now you can get to know about where i live, and again- spacedoubt, nice photo, im making it my background.

Also, would it still be there tonight? or does it move out of conjunction that fast?

[edit on 3/27/2005 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hey,

I'm glad you liked the pic..
Here is a link to a larger version, makes a better wallpaper..

bigger pic

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Howd you get your camera to take those pictures? All I get is black, my Kodak Easyshare CX6200 must be horrible

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It's tough, unless you have manual settings on your camera.
To get this photo, My shutter was open for 2 seconds.
With a very low f-stop..2.2.
MY camera is a Sony dcs-f707

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yep you need either a digital SLR that you can hold the shutter open as long as you want or a 35mm film camera that has shutter control. Some market digital cameras allow you to hold the shutter open for 15 seconds. Mine does and I bought it for the reason of amature astrophotography.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
kick ass picture of the moon

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
thanks for the better picture, spacedoubt.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
where i am you can only see the moon i couldn't see any stars that night. i liked that picture maybe i should take my camera and start taking pictures of the sky at night.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
homeboiabe,

You should try it.
What kind of camera do you have?
If you need a little help or advice, I'd be happy to help out.

I have quite a few more photos..Maybe I'll start a thread.
No telescopes, just a camera and the sky..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join