It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: TAIPEI - Hundreds of Thousands of Taiwanese Protest China's Anti-Secession Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
TAIPEI - Massive crowds jammed the streets in the Taiwanese capital yesterday in protest against Communist China's recently passed anti-secession law. Taiwanese President, Chen Shui Bian, also attended the rally amongst heavy police guard, but in a break from tradition, refrained from giving a major speech, a move designed to avoid worsening the already tense cross-strait relations.

www.abc.net.au
Up to 500 police surrounded President Chen Shui-bian as he arrived at the rally. Demonstrators marched down 10 major streets in the capital, symbolising the 10 clauses of China's anti-secession law, before congregating for a carnival-like rally in the presidential square.

The crowd shouted slogans celebrating peace and democracy and sang protest songs. Some of the banners carried angry denouncements of the Chinese, but the mood was generally relaxed.

The Taiwanese president and his ruling Democratic Progressive Party had urged one million people to take to the streets to peacefully express their anger and rejection of the new Chinese law.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If March 2005 had a title, it would be the "International Month of Protests", with massive rallies in Lebanon following Prime Minister Hariri's assassination, widespread protests against the war in Iraq, and now a huge protest in Taipei.

Yesterday's peaceful protest is a stark reminder to the Chinese Communist Party that, despite CCP official rhetoric to the contrary, the Taiwanese people do not wish for reunification with the mainland. The de facto independent nation of Taiwan has voiced it's opinion, but is the CCP listening? At the time of writing, the majority of Internet news sites reporting the rally have been blocked within the bounds of China.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Can China Invade Taiwan?
US may withhold military technology from EU allies if they lift arms embargo on China.
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2005/3/26 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
well this looks like the beginning of a war with china

tiawan will do anything it takes to declare formal independance, and china will probally do anything to stop it.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I disagree. Taiwan will do everything it can to maintain the status quo. Protesting, keeping the issue in the news and in the eyes of the world, but stopping short of declaring independence, is designed to do just that. Taiwan knows that if it does declare independence, China will attack, regardless of the consequences. Washington advises Taipei to not declare independence, and the US is pivotal in this fiasco because of its obligation to protect Taiwan in case of an attack from mainland China. Taipei will do exactly what Washington says.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Yesterday's peaceful protest is a stark reminder to the Chinese Communist Party that, despite CCP official rhetoric to the contrary, the Taiwanese people do not wish for reunification with the mainland.

1. Police estimates put it at 200,000 to 240,000 Out of a population of 20 million.

2. The Nationalists (or Kuomintang, the current opposition) did not support or turn out for the rally.

Kuomintang Chairman disapproves of rally

Taipei, March 26 (CNA) Opposition Kuomintang (KMT) Chairman Lien Chan expressed his disapproval of Saturday's large demonstration co-organized by the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) against China's Anti-Secession Law. ...

... The organizers of the 326 March for Democracy and Peace had previously invited Lien and other opposition leaders to join the demonstration, but the invitations were turned down.

Plus, a top level Nationalist delegation is visiting Beijing right now to commomerate the anniversary of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen and hold high level talks in Beijing.

First Trip by Kuomintang in 56 years

The party considers the visit, the first of its kind in 56 years since the KMT fled to Taiwan at the end of the Chinese civil war, as an "ice-breaking trip." During his visit, Chiang is scheduled to pay homage at the Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum in Nanjing and the Mausoleum of the 72 Martyrs in Guangzhou.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Politics, eh? "The enemy of mine enemy is my friend." Before they lost the election to Chen's DPP, the idea of the KMT going to Beijing to chat with the CCP would have been ludicrous.

Thanks for the extra info, rapier.
The news I can access from here regarding this story/issue is somewhat limited.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Politics, eh? "The enemy of mine enemy is my friend." Before they lost the election to Chen's DPP, the idea of the KMT going to Beijing to chat with the CCP would have been ludicrous.

Thanks for the extra info, rapier.
The news I can access from here regarding this story/issue is somewhat limited.

No probs, yeah, it's funny now that the KMT and the CCP are on such friendly terms.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I Think,If All Chinesse in the world will vote,they mayority will agree if mainland
will Conquare all the dream.
Taipei we look like traitor,they agree be the 51 province of united states.
so if the last choice must attack,we support u Kamerad

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The Taiwan/China issue seems more likely to pull the US into some major conflagration than Israeli/Arab situation.

It worries me a good deal.

China has several provinces that would like to split off. If they allow Taiwan to go its own way all those other provinces will want to split.

Russia is still having problems in Chechnya.

It is a political mine field.

IMO the best option for all is a continuation of an ambiguous state of affairs.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
People think that because China claims Taiwan as part of their territory, that it is truly theirs. Even the UN voted to give Taiwan to China, but there was never a battle by the communists by which the Chinese can say that they reclaimed Taiwan.... The nationalist Chinese government was always in control of Taiwan after the Communists took power in the mainland, which ironically is what made the nationalist government hide in Taiwan and seclude itself from the mainland.

Taiwan has been an independent country after the communists took power, and it is about time that the UN, including the US and the rest of the world correct the mistake they made in 1972, by proclaiming that the communists had power over Taiwan, which had it's own government.

[edit on 27-3-2005 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

join